New looks for my portfolio

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
So I am making a portfolio in hopes to get a job at a makeup counter or something of the like. The job market is tough so I figured this could be a fun little project for me to keep busy till I land employment. It's worth a shot I guess. I do have my barber/cosmetology license so hopefully that will be an advantage to me. I have posted looks on this forum in the past. The ones I am posting in here now are looks I did on my eye last night. Each look took a max of 5 minutes. I will have more to come in the future. I also have tons of models lined up so I can do my thing on them and take pictures (will be doing some natural looks on them). Anyway all feedback is welcome!

IMG_0414.jpg

IMG_0425.jpg

IMG_0435.jpg

IMG_0436.jpg

IMG_0438.jpg

funkay.jpg

purplepower.jpg

Theyre wonderful, id love to see a tutorial, if youre anywhere near as good doing natural makeup youre set!!! Great job!

I'm not sure if I am as good doing natural. I do more funky stuff. I don't have much natural stuff to play with. So I am telling my models to bring their makeup so I have more options. I also dont have a brush set. I use regular eyeshadow applicators. If I had a brush set I would be so much better. Anyways my models are going to be my practice for a natural look. I gotta see if I can do the less is more look. Show that I am versatile. That is going to be a toughy for me.

Hopefully I will get some tutorials going in the future. I have a camera but it doesnt want to upload vids to my comp. I need to trouble shoot that and then maybe I can get some tutorials going.

Those are all gorgeous!

I think it's good that you're going to do some natural looks on the models to show that you're versatile.

But what you already have is great
smile.gif

Awesome looks! I would try to do some natural looks as I've read that many ppl look for those in portfolios as they are the hardest to achieve. Show off that great skill
smile.gif

They look great. My only complaint is that they mostly seem to revolve around some type of hooded eye look with a darker color in the crease. It would be interesting to see you talents put into some more blended looks as well as some involving less bright colors. Neutral colors would be some interesting diversity.

Originally Posted by CaptainBonney /img/forum/go_quote.gif They look great. My only complaint is that they mostly seem to revolve around some type of hooded eye look with a darker color in the crease. It would be interesting to see you talents put into some more blended looks as well as some involving less bright colors. Neutral colors would be some interesting diversity. Thanks I agree. The blended look is hard for me to do because I have no brushes. I would be able to do much more if I had a brush set. I agree though I need some blended looks, natural, and something other than a dark variation in the crease. Great tips!

Try a brush set from Sephora, good enough brushes for an affordable price. According to Koren (enkoremakeup on youtube), Loew Cornell brushes are a good MAC alternative and they're paint brushes so they're cheap.

Thank you for the tip. I really do need some brushes. I have only 3 and they are old and not so great. All of the eye shadow in my pics was applied with a regular eye shadow applicator. Oh how much more I could do with a brush set

I agree with previous posters that some more neutral looks and some different designs would be interesting to see.

My favorite is the third look, so beautiful, I can't believe you did that with just eyeshadow applicators (not to knock eyeshadow applicators but they really aren't the best blending tool).

Good luck!
smile.gif

No agree I need more variety. This is just the start. I plan to incorporate as many looks as I can.

Yes having just eyeshadow applicators really is a bummer. I am going to try to find a cheap set... better than nothing. Any suggestions are welcome. I appreciate all the honesty.

great looks and amazing that you did them just with applicator
smile.gif

looking forward to seeing your end results when you geta brush set
biggrin.gif

WOW!! Love the 3rd and 4th pics!! What products did you use on those??

Please, do some tutorials and take a look at Coastal Scents for cheap brushes...

Really pretty! And they only took you five minutes?! You've got talent. But I would have to say that the sixth one is my least favorite. I can see where you were going with it, but I wouldn't put that one in your port. Goodluck girl!

Those looks are very pretty!
smile.gif
I'm not a makeup artist or anything, but there are a few things I would recommend:

• Purchase a brush set (it'll be worth it)
  • More variations of looks (including more natural looks)
  • Some full-face shots (they'll probably want to know that you can put different looks together as a whole)

Back