How to clean brushes?

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi, just two quick questions

1) How do you girls clean ur brushes after every use?

2) this one is more detailed. If I use the same brush to apply two different products, should I clean the brush with water and wipe then use next product, or should I just wipe and not use water? or is there another way? thanks

I typically just wipe the brushes with a paper towel for powdered products. Anything cream I use maybe twice and wash with baby soap.

I use a mild detergent to wash mine. If your using one brush to apply two products consecutively, I would go out and get another brush, so you don't waste time or get any color contamination between products.. I must have 6 eye shadow brushes and use most of them for only one color....

Ok, here's what I do.

While applying e/s: If I'm using same brush for 2 different colors, I wipe off on paper towel.

After every use: All brushes get wiped on a paper towel with brush cleaner on it.

Every weekend/2 weeks depending on how often I wear makeup: Brushes get cleaned with shampoo and conditioner.

I also deep clean as I go. Like foundation brushes, primer brushes, lip brushes, kabuki - they get shampoo conditioner treatment prolly more often because of the buildup.

I do pretty much what Adrienne does, just wipe off for powder products and wash them all as needed with MAC brush cleaner, and let air dry. Lip and eyeliner brushes get washed more often and I agree with Karren, I try not to use more than one to a certain shade. HTH!

I use facial tissue to wipe off excess for my liner/shadow brushes between washings. I have separate brushes per product for the rest of my makeup. I just use shampoo and do the wiping on my palm, then rinsing my hand, and continuing to swab until the soap is gone.

For cleaning my brushes I wash mine after every use personally. Definitely NOT a required thing to do, I just prefer to keep them as clean and moisturized as possible. I wash them with a shampoo for color treated hair, right now I am using Suave (the one they compare to Nexxus).

If my big powder brushes feel as though they need it, I will put a little bit of a color treated conditioner on them after the shampoo but only maybe once a week, or only if I really notice any dryness. There are a couple of specific brushes that seem to dry out fast, so not every brush will get the conditioner treatment.

When I am using 2 things with the same brush, I just wipe the brush off on a washcloth that I lay on my lap as I do my own makeup or on a tissue I have in my hand when I do makeup on others. If you are using the same textures it doesn't matter, and a quick wipe is enough (creme foundation then creme blush with the same brush, or powder shadows with the same brush).

But if you are mixing the textures it can be trickier; it is ok to do a powder product then a creme, but creme then powder is a bit more of a hassle. I would tell you to just save up for a second brush.

I clean my brushes with my own makeup brush cleaner cocktail that i have readily handy on a small spray bottle. Every time before I use an eyeshadow brush, I spray the brush with my cleaner, wipe on facial tissue and then do the application.

Originally Posted by xxfungirlxx /img/forum/go_quote.gif 1) How do you girls clean ur brushes after every use?
2) this one is more detailed. If I use the same brush to apply two different products, should I clean the brush with water and wipe then use next product, or should I just wipe and not use water? or is there another way? thanks

1) I don't, with TWO exceptions: I rinse my eyeliner brush every time I use it (not a full-on washing) and I wash my foundation brush after every use IF I wear liquid or cream foundation. Otherwise, I DO NOT recommend washing brushes after every use.
2) Rub the brush gently on a towel or dry washcloth to get rid of the pigments from the last product.

Info on cleaning makeup brushes...

How often: Once a week or once every two weeks, depending on how often you use them and how "dirty" they get. Use your best judgment. Don't clean too often. And don't ever go more than one month without cleaning them (yuck).

How to:

• Fill washbasin, sink or bowl w/ warm water and hair shampoo.
  • Swish the bristles in the water/shampoo for one or two minutes.
  • Rinse, rinse, rinse.
  • Gently squeeze water out.
  • Shake water out.
  • Reshape the bristles.
  • Place brushes ON THEIR SIDES on a clean, dry towel and let them air dry.
Tips:
  • DO NOT soak brush handles...only the bristles.
  • DO NOT use soap, dish detergent or any other cleaner you wouldn't use on your face or hair.
  • DO NOT use hot or cold water...warm only.
  • DO NOT "condition" your brushes...no oils, conditioners or other post-cleaning additives. They're not YOUR hair for goodness sakes, plus the oils and waxes in conditioner/s will only make your brushes get dirtier quicker.
Follow these tips, and your brushes (assuming they're decent quality) will last many, many years.

Yea, I've been wiping my brushes on a paper towel with some brush cleaner on it before I start my makeup these days...

Back