Epilators?

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Apologies if there's already a thread on this!

I was just wondering about epilation and if any of you can share your experiences of it with me? i'm talking about those little razor like machines you roll over your skin that pull hair out. i basically want to use one on my bikini line, is it safe to do that? does it hurt? some of them look kinda expensive too, are they worth the money?

I'd like to know, too. I've been thinking about getting an epilator for awhile now, but I'm scared that it'll be so painful that I won't end up using it. lol.

I use the Braun Epi-silk and its great... painful at first but you build ua a tollerence to it somewhat.... The braun was like $70 US and I had a smaller chineese one that was like $35 US and it didn't last very long.. I epilate everything from the neck down and its great not to have to shave daily.. Typically you have to go back over it in 2 to 3 weeks when the hairs starts to grow back in.. I love it way better than shaving in my humble opinion.

I haven't used one for years, but i used to use emjoi one (i think thats the name) which was painful but once you got used to it - or your skin turned numb lol -

I like waxing because it rips them all out at once, epi its constant over and over 3 or 4 at a time. (thats what it felt like to me)

Yeah.. Emjoi... That's the one I wore out! Lol. Was nice.. Rechargable battery.. The braun is corded and more powerful..

oh thanks barbie i'll have a look at that!

shaundra that's my fear too! i sort of want one of my friends to get one so i can try it and see if i can stand it lol rather than throwing away £50.

Hi!

They are painful and expensive; nevertheless they are worth the while.

All Epilators hurt to a degree. There is a Braun, and a Phillips that have cooling attachments... They do not minimize the pain, but they do lessen it, and they help reduce post epilation soreness as the cooling lowers the blood flow to the skin immediately after the hair is removed. I use an uncooled Braun with mains adaptor. Also take help of any shopping assistant, which should help you pick up a epilator which is worth the money.

They do hurt... but you get used to the pain! The second or thrid time you do it you won't feel a thing! I haven't tried it on my bikini line but as long as you stretch the skin no accidents are going to happen! But I imagine it would hurt quite a bit!

i ordered one a few days ago and it should be getting here any day now. i've been waxing my legs for years but lately i havent been able to go to the salon to get them done and have been shaving my legs which i really hate because it needs to be done every few days and the hair grows back darker and stronger.. i'll post again after i've used it to let you know what it feels like for me..

it does hurt and it takes ages, I also find it's not as smooth as waxing or shaving, but on the plus side, I have some patches of hair that have never grown back!

I think if you're a patient person then yes, worthwhile, otherwise stick to waxing, laser or shaving

I have been wondering about this for a while too, I've never found a form of hair removal I'm happy with and the epilator is pretty much the only one left!

The one I regularly use is hair removal cream but even though it's the one I go back to when everything else fails I still hate it, it smells awful, it takes ages and it doesn't keep the hair away for long at all. I've tried home waxing (I'm not really up for going to a salon regularly) and the products I've tried all suck, are messy and remove either none or only a small amount of the hair.

I was put off the epilator because when I mentioned getting one my mum said they hurt like crazy and I'd have to be mad lol

But now I think that maybe it's not so bad once you get used to it....it must be bearable for people to do it. You can get ones you can use in the bath or that have cushioned sides for more comfort but obviously those are more expensive. I might get a cheap one and if I can use it invest in something better..

Ok, I have to say I just tried it a few days ago. I used the oil that you put on after you wax and that helps. I am talking about doing the bikini area. I love no razor burn. And it's smooth. The pain was making me hop around like an idiot at first, but you kind of numb up fast. I would do it again, and wouldn't try anything else. Go with the grain of the hair growth though.

yes it does grow back just as fast as waxing because they both do the same thing. they remove the hair from the root. the only thing that will make them take much longer to grow back is lazer hair removal.

as to the pain factor, i only found the epilator hurtful when removing the hair in the armpits. it really felt more like a light pinching on my legs, but then again i've been having my legs waxed for 6-7 years before that (although before using it for the first time i had shaved it about three times in a row) and i've been also having the hairs on my face removed by lazer for 6 years as well and i dont think that hurts either now (i find that lazer really hurts a lot on my forehead, bikini line and armpits
tongue.gif
)

Okay, so, I went for it and bought an epilator (found one for £30 in the sale in Boots) and cos people always say it hurts I was sooo nervous about using it. So I tested it out on my Mum (LOL, she was my guinea pig) and she shouted so loudly, she scared me into not using it but then today I decided to just go for it.

And honestly, it's SO not as bad as people say, the best way to describe it is a sting, it just stings a little bit, it doesn't hurt I wouldn't say. I've only tried my legs, I'm a bit wary about my under arms yet! But so far I think it's good
smile.gif

Edit: Did my underarms too, couldn't stop myself haha

I would like to try this but I am afraid it might get too painly especially for those who have thick hair like me. I hate my leg hair. It's really thick like a man's leg hair. I would always use Veet to remove it but it easily comes back. Waxing is expensive if you will do it frequently.

Back