Make Up Brand Recommedations + Colours?

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Okay, so I'm new to using make up and I really want to get my moneys worth of make up. So what do you suggest is the best make-up brand for me? From what I've read so far on this forum, is that MAC is a really good brand, but expensive. So when I go shopping for make-up, I am most likely going to buy some, but not many MAC items. So I need another brand suggestion that is close to the same quality as MAC but cheaper.

Oh and I need help with colors (I feel embarrassed asking all these questions, but I'm desperate). I have medium brown hair, with some red in it (can only see the red when light is shining on it). Also my skin tone is light, but not really pale. And my eyes are blue.

So I need good colors of eye shadow, and lipgloss and just basically everything.

Oh and I use powder eye shadow, but it doesn't stay on. Its like it almost just fades off after a couple of hours and you can't notice I'm wearing any. Same with my mascara, its weird. Anyways, I heard you can get some stuff to put on your eyelids to make the eyeshadow stay on longer, so just wondering if anyone knows the name of it and hopefully I can find it at a drug store.

Anyways, sorry for the long post. I'm just really dumb when it comes to make up, but really want to start wearing it and not look dumb because I don't use the right colors or used a low quality make up.

You can use everydayminerals for your face (people compare it to BE)

For eyes, get a really good primer like urban decay primer potion or too faced eye shadow insurance to make about any eyeshadow stay on your lids.

I would recommend Everyday Minerals as well for foundation. It's a lovely mineral makeup, works well on my sensitive skin and you can test it for free on their site.

To stop your eye shadow from disappearing or creasing I recommend a primer. I am actually quite happy with ELF's Mineral Eye Shadow Primer. It is very cheap and my eye makeup doesn't budge with it on. I was actually quite surprised at how well it worked.

I know I find quite a bit of makeup at local dollar stores and on sale at drugstores so don't be shy on looking around.

As far as colors, I would go with some medium colors to start. Earth tones like browns amd beiges are safe for almost any color and type of skin. Match them with a nice light brown lipstick or a gentle pink. Don't go overboard while you are starting. There are a ton of tutorials on this site from all these talented girls as well as places like youtube. You can check out their looks and they generally have their colors and techniques posted.

HTH

For the colors it depends on what you want, you can start with neutral colors such as brown, beige, a light pink.

If you want cheap eyeshadows, check out NYX, it's a nice brand and they're decently pigmented. You can also try mineral eyeshadows such as Fyrinnae, the she space.

Everyday minerals is a nice brand of mineral foundation and you only pay shipping so it's a good option.

Back