Making home made mineral makeup?

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi!

I have been looking up recipes online to make my own mineral makeup. I'm a bit confused though
kopfkratz.gif
I bought some pretty colored micas online to make eyeshadow. But I was reading the label and it said it had iron oxides in it and titanium dioxide. So is this not what mica looks like in it's most original form? If not, then how does it become colored? Please help me understand!

Mica comes in many forms- but all are "white" Some have low sheen and some are very sparkly. The color is due to oxides and other colorants- not different colored micas.

Some are also treated differently. You can use the micas as-is if you want to, especially if you use a primer beforehand. If you put them on bare skin, they flake and glitter everywhere... not to mention the creasing possibility.

I do recommend mixing the micas with a similarly-colored base (small amounts of titanium dioxide, zinc oxide, serecite mica (carnauba treated is what I use), and a tiny bit of rice powder). I use different base ingredients depending on who I'm making them for. I have oily lids and extremely dry skin otherwise so I need the rice powder for the oily lids but I could use silk powder.

Back