Glycolic acid vs. Salicylic acid

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
What is the difference between glycolic acid and salisylic acid
icon_question.gif

Which is best for acne
icon_question.gif

Does anyone know where can I get Glycolic acid
icon_question.gif

I have been using acv and it has been working great. But I still have big pores and those little black heads on my nose. I do exfoliate as well. I know they won't disappear but I just want them to be smaller
icon_frown.gif
Someone said glycolic acid will make them go away, but I use salicylic acid every morning and night.

Thank you,

Yes, Naturally is right 'bout many acne medications containing salysclic acid...As to wat is best for acne, I guess it depends on individuals...U can also try acne medications wif benzol(something or other-I forgot the exact name) or something with tea tree in it.

I too have blackheads on my nose(alot & I have tried many things- nothing seems to help). So I might give glyolic acid a try since Naturally says it helps wif blackheads...

Thank you all very much!! Naturally, you always have the answers. I love it!!!

Thank you

From what I've heard, glycolic acid and salicylic acid are similar, but glycolic acid is good for seeping into your pores and then temporarily opening up your pores so other medicines can get in your pores, whereas salicylic acid has larger molecules that sit on the surface of your skin more.

Not sure which would be best for your skin .... I have oily skin with clogged pores but very few blackheads, and I use a combination of salicylic acid and benzoyl peroxide (and the BP works much better than the SA, sometimes I wonder if I could skip the SA all together but I haven't tried it yet...)

i've used glycolic acid for a long while now. i have dry/combo skin and am prone to acne. i recently tried using salicylic acid and it dried my skin out too much. i think it is better for drier skin types to use glycolic acid and oily skin types to use salicylic acid. it seems more beneficial that way.

Ladies, I am falling in love!!! I am usually a big wimp when is comes to breakouts. I start breaking out, or purging as I have heard it, and I stop using what I am using because I am terrified of more zits and scars ( I already have a bunch of yucky scars). Well, I promised myself this week that I would pick a recommended salicylic acid thing and stick to it for at least a week, wait it out through any breakouts, and then re-evaluate. Well, I started using Clinique Mild Clarifying lotion and it is Friday, and I don't have any blackheads on my cheeks, and the ones on my chin are almost gone. I did break out this week and I got scared, but I kept going and my skin is starting to calm down and I am getting sooooooo excited. My biggest problem/issue with my skin has been blackheads and cloggies that turn into pimples. I don't get a lot of pimples, but the cloggies and the blackheads are constantly a problem. This stuff has given me new hope.

Hope that helps

Sarah

One more thing, I have combo skin that gets clogged and I live in the desert where the water is hard, the air is dry, and it seems like everything dries me out. BUT I STILL GET CLOGGIES!!

I wash with Clinique liquid soap, mild, and I spritz on a little moisture surge extra mist if it feels dry after I use the MILD CLARIFYING LOTION.

Originally Posted by whoaitschell i've used glycolic acid for a long while now. i have dry/combo skin and am prone to acne. i recently tried using salicylic acid and it dried my skin out too much. i think it is better for drier skin types to use glycolic acid and oily skin types to use salicylic acid. it seems more beneficial that way. Hm... I also think that salicylic acid can be drying for the skin, cuz when I had used the aspirin mask my skin was very dehydrated and I have combo skin. Think I`m gonna try glycolic and see what this one will do!

Originally Posted by hissycat Would glycolic acid be good for wrinkles/fine lines/aging skin too? Yes, I have been doing my researh and glycolic is not only good for acne, but it's great for wrinkles, fine-lines, and all the problems that one may have with their face. I am planning on getting a Oil of Olay glycolic peel kit, they have just came out with it and it looks as if it works wonders for your skin. I just can't wait to give it a try and let you know how it was.

Back