Myth or Truth?

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I have heard this many times from friends and family over the years, but how true is it?

Is it true that if we keep using the same skincare products over the years, it will stop working/ become less effective because the skin gets used to the products? So it is advisable to keep changing the products every few years.

It seems to be a little true in my case. I had perfect skin till I was about 24, at which point my face broke out like there was no end to it. I was told it was adult acne, Retin A Micro cleared up my skin. And I had a complete change in my entire skincare products used (from Biore to Neutrogena and Cetaphil). I changed everything and it went great for the next 4 years. And now after 4 years, it seems like my skincare products are not working for me anymore. I'm back on Retin A Micro for my new set of adult acne. I am looking to see if I need another complete change in my skincare products.

When I say a product is not working anymore, I mean that my moisturiser is not moisturizing my skin as well as it used to, my acne gel is not doing anything at all to my acne, etc. I feel that this could be due to the changes in my skin due to aging...
frown.gif

I'd say that it's more like when your skin ages it's requirements change... and what was good for younger sking is not what older skin needs.... The products till work.... just not for you...

Yeah, this is true.

I've used so many different products that worked for awhile, then had to change them a year later because they became ineffective.

I can't even begin to tell you how many products i've rotated...

Many derm's say that a woman's hormone's change drastically every 7 years, which mean's your skin and hair may also change; in texture, density and overall appearance.

I can attest to this, since I didn't get acne until about 8 (around my nose) and then at about 17, I stopped getting it there, and began getting acne around my chin area and a bit on my neck.

So yeah, I totally say it's no myth.

Me too, but i think it's because our needs change. In my case i also made the mistake of using products a tad too harsh for my skin, which got more sensitive over the years.

I also have to agree that this is true and likely the case....our needs change as we *gasp* age and being such our same old routines need to be tweaked also.

Back