Last chance to see Mars....

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Up this close......

capt.photo_1267192568431-5-0.jpg

On Thursday night, March 25, many people may look up at the sky and ask the question, "What's that bright star next to the moon?"

The answer for Thursday night is Mars, but that answer changes night by night as the moon travels along the ecliptic, the path the sun, moon and planets follow across the sky. If you ask the question again on Monday night, March 29, the answer will be the ringed planet Saturn.

Such conjunctions of the moon and planets are regular reminders of how rapidly the moon moves across the sky.

Mars was in opposition to the Sun on Jan. 29, when it appeared 14 arcseconds in diameter, 1/120 of the diameter of the moon. Two months later, it is much farther away, and has shrunk to only 10 arcseconds in diameter.

This will be your last chance to get a good look at Mars until it approaches the Earth again in 2012 [see more Mars photos].

Source - Last Chance to Get a Good Look at Mars Until 2012 - Yahoo! News

I daresay there aren't any telescopes about at hand. >.> Curse my slow intentions.

Very cool, thanks!

Originally Posted by Karren /img/forum/go_quote.gif It's pouring here.....
frown.gif
Started raining here too.
frown.gif

Didn't see anything after, no moon, no nothing
frown.gif
It must have been cloudy, then it started pouring down after
frown.gif

The sun just came out so tonight I might drag the telescope out and set it up and see what I can see... I'd really like to connect my digital camera to the telescope but the adapter is like $400. Maybe I can make something.

Originally Posted by Karren /img/forum/go_quote.gif The sun just came out so tonight I might drag the telescope out and set it up and see what I can see... I'd really like to connect my digital camera to the telescope but the adapter is like $400. Maybe I can make something. What telescope do you have?

Back