Is there a way to make your e/s more pigmented?

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Just as the title says, and what I mean is if you already have an e/s that's not as pigmented as you'd like it to be is there a way to make it more pigmented without buying anything expensive?

I have a feeling there may not be but I thought I would ask since you ladies are so nice and creative maybe there is just something I still haven't been taught.
smile.gif

A good shadow primer will help the colour stick to your lid and show up more. Also, a good cream shadow base works the same way - use either a colour that matches your skintone, or use a colour very similar to the powder to really intensify it.

Thanks Kayleigh
smile.gif
I already use a primer but I'm looking some how to make the cheap e/s into powder, intensify the pigment and then turn it back to pressed e/s to custom my own colors. would there be such thing?

I've never been succesful. I try to buy highly pigmented shadows... You can always tone them down or put them on lighter..

foil them. If you apply your shadow with a wet brush, they go on darker and more pigmented because more of it is sticking to your lids. You can make mixing medium from water and glycerine to foil the shadows. They won't flake off.

Foiling 4 sure....I use to do this when I didn't have much money and had to survive on cheaper not very pigmented eyeshadows. Than I used water....but like divadoll said you can make a mixing medium (lots of recipes on youtube) or you can buy M.A.C mixing medium or you can use M.A.C fix +

I would try the foiling method as well. And sometimes I feel like using a sponge tip applicator works better on cheaper shadows because the pigments more concentrated on the sponge rather than a brush.

Beware, foiling doesn't work with matte shadows. Only stuff with shimmer in it. Mattes just look chalky and patchy and gross and what's in the pan gets spoiled.

Oh, and a white sticky base also helps. I use Ben Nye's clown white makeup or cream liner in white and press the shadow into it before it dries. Maybe NYX Milk jumbo pencil would work too? I don't have this one, but alot of ppl rave it.

Thats why I cant stand cheap e/s.. If there isnt any color to them I doubt you can make them more pigmented. If true color is important , maybe try buying pigmented e/s?

I'm afraid once you have a cheap e/s with little pigmentation, you cannot do much to intensify it. Using a primer, a cream base of the same (or similar) shade, foiling, they are good methods. But they cannot do miracles either. If you want cheap eyeshadows, try to look for mineral eyeshadows, they're just pigments, but be aware they will come in loose form.

Have you ever looked at tkb trading or other mineral makeup stores?

As long as there is some sort of sheen or sparkle to the final color you will be able to press the pigments

Thanks! I will try the foiling method.

Ricci, these are old e/s from the time I couldn't get better ones and just hate to toss them out.

Orangeeyecrayon, Yes! I really want to buy from TKB but that will have to wait a bit since my DH has just found a job after being unemployed for a month. so when I can I will be buying from them.

I threw out some old e/s long ago , I mean if they dont work , no color* why keep them? but thats IMHO

Originally Posted by SamBam /img/forum/go_quote.gif Thanks! I will try the foiling method.
Ricci, these are old e/s from the time I couldn't get better ones and just hate to toss them out.

Orangeeyecrayon, Yes! I really want to buy from TKB but that will have to wait a bit since my DH has just found a job after being unemployed for a month. so when I can I will be buying from them.

Originally Posted by reesesilverstar /img/forum/go_quote.gif Beware, foiling doesn't work with matte shadows. Only stuff with shimmer in it. Mattes just look chalky and patchy and gross and what's in the pan gets spoiled.
Oh, and a white sticky base also helps. I use Ben Nye's clown white makeup or cream liner in white and press the shadow into it before it dries. Maybe NYX Milk jumbo pencil would work too? I don't have this one, but alot of ppl rave it.

The NYX pencil works great (as does the clown white makeup).

Originally Posted by Ricci /img/forum/go_quote.gif I threw out some old e/s long ago , I mean if they dont work , no color* why keep them? but thats IMHO I already threw out some a while ago that really weren't worth keeping but there was this one green that was more pigmented than others and when I wet the shadow a bit or concealer base it showed up alot more intense.
smile.gif

For me, primer only helps with creasing and fading, but to intensify color, use a sticky cream shadow under it. Any skin-colored one will work, but it's even better if it's the same shade as the powder shadow you're gonna use.

Back