anyone a part of a work out place?

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
hey i was wondering if anyone is a part of work out place, like bally total fitness just for example. i was just wondering how much you have to pay for membership and what its like working out there. is there someone helping you out in getting into shape and stuff.

Bally's at $45 per month. It's different rates depending on states, and times you may sign up. I had a personal trainer at first to get me used to the machines and get me started with my exercise. I don't think it's a necessity though because when you start they take you around and show you how to use the machines. Should you forget there are always trainers walking around so you could just ask them what to do.

The men AND women can be a pain at times (trying to pick you up) so just have a book depending on what you're doing or headphones.

I belong to Bally's Total Fitness (used to be called Jack LaLanne, that's how long I've been a member) but I stopped going a few years ago due to an injury I got lifting weights. Now I practice karate and yoga and although neither one is aerobic enough for me to burn the calories I want, they both do let off the steam and stresses of the day. I try to make a effort to use my treadmill at home. Perhaps some day I will return to the gym. But I do need my walkman/music when I'm at Bally's.

I pay $60.00 a year for Bally's - I bought my membership from someone (transfered over) and the Bally's near me are pretty nice and clean. I never tried a personal trainer although I hear that's a good thing to do. I am pleased with it - its just that I don't presently use it since I'm very involved in martial arts now - between training and competing...I don't have time to go to Bally's. But I was pleased with it when I did go. I keep paying membership because its too cheap to NOT keep it.

thanks you two, thats a huge help for me. i just wanted to know because i just needed to get into shape for myself. i also like to work out so i think that it will be good for me. wow, paying only 60.00 a yr must be nice. i wonder how much extra it would be for someone to help you out. thats neat that they do member transfers. how did you manage that? well thanks bunches.

Eva

I joined ages ago - back in the 1993 or 1992. What happened was this girl at my job at the time was selling her membership and you were allowed to transfer. So we both did the required paperwork and I became a Gold Card member for only $60.00 a year. Compared to the prices at other gyms, its worth it, especially since they have locations all over the USA (if you like to travel).

I am a member of NYHRC (New York Health & Racquet Club) and I can't honestly say what the monthly or annual membership fee is as I worked out a deal where my employer pays for it totally. I do have use a personal trainer for weightlifting sessions and he is fantastic. If u r ever unsure about use of any equipment, there should always be a staff member (usually one of the trainers) on the floor to help u out. While the personal training can get expensive, it is worth it for me as I left decently heavy weights. If a trainer is too expensive an alternative, a training buddy is always a solution, i.e. u can both work out and not chat too much. HTH

I've been a member of 4 gyms, Bally's being one of them. I'm not a fan of Bally's, they kept moving the machines around, my trainer quit and nobody bothered to call me, they kept taking money off my credit card even after my membership expired, etc. You should take tours of the gyms in your area and decide from there. Look at who is working out (is it all muscle men?), what kind of shape the machines are in, how much are their trainers per hour?, what the class schedules are like (for aerobics, yoga, spinning), are the staff nice or stuck up?

If you're new to working out you should see a trainer at least every 6 weeks.

I should have paid more attention when I went on my tour, I would never have joined.

Tonya - great advice!

Originally Posted by Cirean I've been a member of 4 gyms, Bally's being one of them. I'm not a fan of Bally's, they kept moving the machines around, my trainer quit and nobody bothered to call me, they kept taking money off my credit card even after my membership expired, etc. You should take tours of the gyms in your area and decide from there. Look at who is working out (is it all muscle men?), what kind of shape the machines are in, how much are their trainers per hour?, what the class schedules are like (for aerobics, yoga, spinning), are the staff nice or stuck up?
If you're new to working out you should see a trainer at least every 6 weeks.

I should have paid more attention when I went on my tour, I would never have joined.

I have a small workout room in our pool house but i'm so lazy about using it. I'm about to join Figure World because they have a great special for 3 months right now ($99) and I just prefer going to a gym because it's more motivating IMO.

Yes - at least u have that time just for u mentally. I usually go first thing in the morning at 6:00 am (not the easiest thing to do as I am not a morning person) because I never know what my evenings are going to be like as work can get crazy. I always make sure I take a break so as not to "burn out" - like I have a problem taking a break from the gym.

When I used to do the video tapes at home, my dogs were either sitting on my stomach as they thought I was playing with them. LOL

Originally Posted by Little_Lisa I have a small workout room in our pool house but i'm so lazy about using it. I'm about to join Figure World because they have a great special for 3 months right now ($99) and I just prefer going to a gym because it's more motivating IMO.

I'm a member of NYSC (New York Sports Club). There are so many around NYC that I can just walk into one whenever I'm in the mood (I just wish they were open 24 hours) and have a great workout. They have trainers there to help if you need it. They have different packages to choose from. Do any of the gyms close to you offer a free one week workout. If so, take advantage of it. This way you can see if you like it before you sign up. Good luck.

I used to be a member of Bally's years ago, but now I've got a suit against them for some stupid financial issues...They keep putting something on my credit report for like $3000 that I owe!!! I transfered my membership when I moved from MI and they never put the proper paperwork through and were still trying to charge a bank account I didn't have anymore.

Now, I go to 24 Hour Fitness and I love them...I don't remember what I paid because I prepaid for like a 3 year membership and after the 3 years my yearly is only $35. I was offered a trainer for a certain amount of sessions. It was free with the type of membership I paid for, but since I was a trainer in college I never took advantage of the sessions.

Definitely visit the gyms in your area and find out all the payment options they have for membership...most of the time they have deals going on.

I work in a medical clinic which is located in a gym. My membership if FREE and it has been for 3 yrs! Doesn't get much better than that
smile.gif

But I think they charge about $45/monthly in all other cases.

When joining a gym, please read the contract language carefully. Take time to look at the signing portion especially as it will usually list the gym's cancellation policy. Many gyms require 2 months written notice of cancellation & if they don't get it, they will continue charging you a monthly fee even after your contract has expired.

This happened to me, boy was I surprised, and I yelled and chewed out the woman on the phone. This automatic renewal is such bs and should be illegal but that's another story. I sent my cancellation letter in and they actually cancelled my contract immediately after it ended so I didn't have to pay for the additional two months I didn't want. Working in a law firm has made me so assertive and argumentative.
tongue.gif

I was a member of an all female gym. I really like that better than co-ed gyms.

I like the YMCA. The one I go to has pilates dance classes and soooo much more. You should check one out near you. I pay $37.00 a month. It's a great place for woman. No guys to bother you. It's very family orientated. I Love it
icon_cheesygrin.gif
And another good thing is that it's month to month so you not bound to a contract.

My hairdresser was telling me that our local YMCA has better equipment than the Bally's and Gold's in our area. Worth checking out if there is one close by.

Back