Organic Hair Care Products

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I was wondering if you all could suggest some hair products that are organic? (Specifically shampoo and conditioner) I tried the search feature but couldnt find any suggestions. Are there any drug store brands worth trying that are organic? Thank you
smile.gif

I use shampoos bought at Trader Joes (a grocery store) and love them. They are cheap too! I use every kind they have and just rotate them. For conditioner I use the Tresumme naturals conditioner which isn't 100% natural, but I haven't found a good organic conditioner.

Avalon Organics has good shampoos, as well as J/A/S/O/N. I love Aubrey Organics--they are probably my favorite natural brand but tend to be a little more pricier.

Live Clean products are supposedly good. There sold here in Canada at most drugstores and Walmart. Maybe sold in the USA as well?

The only hair care products that could be organic are oils such as pure coconut oil or olive oil. I have used these and they are great!

With regard to shampoos, conditioners and styling agents - if there are any preservatives in them to keep them from going rancid, I don't think they would qualify as organic.

One that is very close but not organic is Yes to Carrots C is for shine conditioner, i love it ! I can't say i've found a shampoo that works well for me, and they can be pricey too.

I love ALL of the Giovanni products I've tried. They are at Whole Foods, some Targets, some other health food stores..

I'll second the Trader Joe's store brand. However, the cheap Whole Foods '365 Everyday Value' brand of shampoo, which I was assured was very close to the TJ brand in ingredients, weighed my hair down terribly and left it feeling heavy and coated, no matter how little I used. The feeling vanished after one wash with a different shampoo. Bleh.

Burt's Bees Super Shiny Grapefruit Conditioner isn't necessarily organic, but it does claim to be 'natural,' in that it lacks the suspicious chemicals that other brands have. It works very well, but it's powerful stuff-- you only need the tiniest dollop to get all the conditioning you could want.

My mother-in-law swears by Avalon Organics, though I haven't tried any of their products myself.

Originally Posted by LittleBrownBird /img/forum/go_quote.gif I'll second the Trader Joe's store brand. However, the cheap Whole Foods '365 Everyday Value' brand of shampoo, which I was assured was very close to the TJ brand in ingredients, weighed my hair down terribly and left it feeling heavy and coated, no matter how little I used. The feeling vanished after one wash with a different shampoo. Bleh.
Burt's Bees Super Shiny Grapefruit Conditioner isn't necessarily organic, but it does claim to be 'natural,' in that it lacks the suspicious chemicals that other brands have. It works very well, but it's powerful stuff-- you only need the tiniest dollop to get all the conditioning you could want.

My mother-in-law swears by Avalon Organics, though I haven't tried any of their products myself.

Thanks for the tip on the Whole Foods brand. I've thought about picking it up before, but now I'll pass!

Sulfactants/detergents in shampoos can not be organic. The only things that can like previously stated, are the oils to make the SOAP or add to the shampoo or that are in the conditioners. Silicones can't be organic either - thats in conditioner.

I use castile soap as shampoo. I make it. I make small batches so it doesn't need any preservatives. I don't use organic because it isn't necessary. Don't get taken by the word 'organic', it just means it's going to cost you more if you buy it. Not all things need to be organic but you can do more for the planet by using soaps instead of detergents. They break down better when they re-enter the water ways.

Back