Need help.. with everything!

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mai

Reaction score
Hey guys, I know I must sound so repetitive here, as I'm sure you all see these questions a lot, but I don't know much about makeup and I'm hoping that someone can help me out?
smile.gif

I have a few job interviews coming up soon, and I really haven't worn makeup much prior to this; I am only 16 after all. But I have terrible dark circles under my eyes due to having very little sleep most of the time and I'd like to be able to hide how tired I look and feel when it comes to my interviews since I want to look prepared and not as though I'm about to fall asleep on the job.

Anyway, at the moment, I am using very basic, drugstore items. This is my routine:

1. Moisturizer (Clean & Clear advantage acne control)

2. Concealer under eyes & other dark spots (Revlon colorstay)

3. Eyeliner (Maybelline Unstoppable)

4. Powder (Mineral Wear - mineral loose powder, talc-free)

5. Curl my lashes and add mascara (Rimmel lash accelerator)

Oh, and my skin type is oily (unfortunately!). I included the brands in case anyone had recommendations for other products that are better for oily skin, though what I'm using now isn't much of a problem. Except for the concealer, it doesn't apply too smoothly.

So my questions are:

Is there anything I should add to that routine?

Any great drugstore under eye concealers that you know of?

A friend told me that I should use foundation, but I honestly just don't know when I should apply it, before or after concealer?

And if I should use foundation, what brand should I buy?

What is the difference between foundation and my powder?

What should I wear for interviews and while working? (I'll be in retail or waitressing)

I kind of want to experiment with eyeshadows and blushes, what colors should I use for my skin color?

Took a quick picture, sorry the quality isn't that great though! Can't post pictures or links until I make 10 posts
frown.gif

But as for color, I'm slightly pale, just a bit tan right now from summer days. My skin is mostly fair, though.

I have had friends try blushes and eyeshadows on me, but I've always felt as though it's too much, so I'm not quite sure what would be subtle enough for my face.

I am pretty sure I had so many more things to ask, but now that I'm actually writing this post and it's become so long, I've forgotten most of them! Sorry if these are annoying questions that you see all the time, but any help would be greatly appreciated!!

That's enough, it sounds like to me. I say that because you're 16, and to me, it just seems like you don't really need more than what you wear already.

Is there anything wrong with the concealer you have now? Stick with it if you like it. I like using Covergirl's FreshComplextion - but it has a lot of bad reviews and isn't very high coverage. But it looks 1000x more natural than anything else I've tried, and that's the only thing I care about at the moment.

You don't need foundation if you have eye circles and some dark spots, I would disregard that advice. Foundation is for the whole face, and you can put it on before or after concealer. I prefer before concealer though.

I think you should wear a skirt that doesn't show much thigh, and a cute blouse, but I'd look into that because I'm not entirely sure
tongue.gif

When working, most likely the same, maybe a bit more casual, is appropriate. It does depend mostly where you're going to waitress at though.

First of all good luck with the interviews
smile.gif

Oily skin isnt all bad, whilst it might be harder to find make up that'll stay put in later life oily skin types are less prone to wrinkles than those who have say, dry.

for dark circles i would recommend a lilac concealer. dont worry its not gonna turn you purple! just apply it lightly to any problem areas and blend and that should cancel out the darkness then apply a more natural colored concealer over the top.

I find that its personal choice wether or not foundation goes over or under concealer. i prefer to use concealer THEN found. however i think you should play around with this to see what works better for you.

Because you dont usually wear foundation i would recommend a tinted moisturizer if you wanted a little bit more coverage than completely bare. Benefit do a range of t.m and you can get a pale version that matches up to your skin tone very well. its a little pricey but having used (and sold) this product personally i know that a little goes a long way so it'll last a long time.

Soft pink blush i find looks nice with a pale skin but really again its down to what YOU prefer. I'm very pale yet i wear very bright oranged toned blush one day and cool pink toned the next. You just need to experiment. I never take much notice of the "rules for make up" where certain skin types/eye colors should only wear certain colors... just have a day at home and use all the colors you own and see which ones you really like. Remember make up isnt permanent so if you hate it just grab a wipe and start a fresh!

However, dont just start wearing more make up because you're friends say you should you have to feel comfortable its your face not theirs.

This is what I do when I want to make my eyes look brighter:

1. Do not put dark shadow or liner on the lower lash line
  2. Use a white base for eyeshadow
  3. Use a champagne color from lid to brow
  4. Use a very light, warm brown for a slight contour in the crease
  5. Smudge black liner in the upper lashes only
  6. Fill in brows
  7. Use a light peach liner on the lower water line, or a white pencil sparingly
  8. Use a white shadow to brighten the tear duct area
  9. Add mascara

That's great to hear, considering I don't want to have to do more than I already do :p /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> The concealer that I'm currently using is alright, except when I use it directly under the inner corners of my eyes. Small lines of it begin to show, if that makes any sense. I don't know how else to describe it! It's hardly noticeable, though, so I'll try to use up what I currently have but I will definitely be buying something new next time.

I asked about the foundation because I thought maybe it was necessary to go along with whatever I use, but I wasn't sure, so thanks for clearing that up. I don't even know the difference, when would I need/have to use it?

And thanks for the advice! And for answering my "what to wear" question even though it's completely irrelevant to makeup haha. Maybe I'll buy tinted moisturizer with money from my new job
biggrin.gif

That sounds gorgeous! Although right now I'm an amateur, I don't even know how to use brushes and which brushes serve what purpose :p /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Actually foundation should be applied first because you risk wipping away your concealer and because you might just apply too much concealer. So it's best to apply foundation, then use concealer to cover whatever the foundation doesn't hide.

Considering you're 16, i think you're doing enough. If you liek your concealer, stick with it, otherwise lilac can be a good option.

Your mineral powder is also, unless i'm wrong, a foundation
smile.gif
It's up to you if you want another, but no matter what you use you'll have to powder on top to make it last longer and keep the shine at bay. Also use blotting papers
smile.gif

Yeah, basically all I do is go to school, volunteer, work at family businesses, and go out to typical places with friends, nothing too exciting or great, so I don't want to go all out haha.

Oh, I do have blotting papers and they're fantastic
smile.gif

Is lilac concealer like one shade for all skin? I've never heard of it until now, it sounds interesting and I don't really like what I'm using now so I may just try that out if I can find it somewhere :p /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Back