Anyone else growing out their hair?

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My hair is about 21-22 inches from root to longest point. I've badly abused my hair from bleaching it countless number of times, dying it every color from red to black, and highlighting it........I'm ready to have a full head of my natural hair color again....

I've been retouching the ends with Clairol Natural Instincts Semi-Permanent because the ends are lightening from where there used to be bleach so I have to darken them to match the root... My natural color is a super shiny dark brown.............

The last 4 inches of my hair are completely dry, damaged and horrible and the ends are thinning in general. I have about 3.5-4 inches of healthy root growth so far..........(from April when the last time I touched my roots)

I'm waiting as long as possible to return to my hair salon for a haircut because my haircuts cost $90, and I like to only go in twice a year cause of the cost..

The products I'm using include a lot of Redken color and deep-conditioning products, Dove and I just bought some Pureology products.....I no longer straighten my hair at all, just blow-dry it with my Sedu hair dryer after washing and I'm taking multi-vitamins and a Vitamin C supplement everyday and eating healthier...

How long is YOUR hair and what are your hair goals????????

Im not sure how long my hair is all I know is that it goes past my bra strap. Ive been wanting long hair for so long but I get bad split ends but for once its finally getting long and it looks healthy. I havent colored or anything like that for probably 3-4 years. Ive been thinking about getting a loose perm for my birthday next year that way my hair will a little longer than it is now.

I am! My hair is just like yours in the sense I bleached and coloured it way too much.

I am growing it out again in my natural colour. I don't think I will be doing anything to it for a long time.

I wish it would grow faster, the ends are damaged and slightly lighter then the rest of my hair. Even when I cut them, they still become damaged because the hair itself at that length is.
frown.gif

I am too ! I used to have layers, which i hated, then i burnt my hair during one summer, had to cut my hair, and more than i probably should have as the damage was more spread than i thought, so i went to the hairdresser a second time to get more cut. Since then i've been growing it. It's a slow process because my hair is thin and fragile.

Try to go every 3 to 4 months to the hairdresser, or ask your mom or a friend to cut your lengths, half an inch is enough. All you need is a steady hand and a pair of sewing scissors (long straight kind).

I'm growing mine out.  It was way too damaged from dyeing it at home and so for the past year I've been growing and chopping off the old dye.  I now have all virgin hair and it's almost to my bra strap. 

yeah i've been trying to grow mine out at as well. it's past my shoulders now, but i'd like it to be a few inches longer. i take prenatal vitamins, and i've been using garnier fructis shampoo & conditioner. i've heard that john frieda root awakening works pretty well too.

I have been sporting a pixie cut since 2006 and have decided that I'd like to change. I am now enduring the awkward stage, AKA: the impending mullet. I'd give you a number for length but it's all different lengths at this point. My goal right now is just to get past this stage so it looks, at the very least, intentional!

I just recently chopped most of my hair off. It's as about 1" below my chin. I just had to get rid of all the damaged ends because they were discolored and ugly. So I'm hoping I'll have the will power to steer clear of dying my hair or cutting bangs for a few years so that I can get it to where I want. Preferably down the my waist. To have very long hair is my goal at this point.

Not that great of a pic but here's the new cut I'm working on...

I've been growing my hair out since last year. I had been chemically straightening my hair since 6 grade (i'm 29 now). I am now totally free from the "creamy crack", i'm totally natural. When I flat iron my hair its about to my shoulders, curly its past my chin. I couldn't believe how the relaxers were messing up my hair/scalp. I had bad dandruff, got chemical burns just about every time i got my hair relaxed. My hair stayed dry, brittle, split ends galore. I just thought I had bad hair. And now, its SOOO much more healthy. The problem i never had though was growing my hair, its like a weed. I drawback to that is that I like short hair styles, but its a pain to keep them. 

I've been grrowing out my hair for just about two years now. Not only did the hairdresser cut it WAY shorter than I wanted, but I was also given the worlds stringiest layers, which I'm also growing out. Lengthwise I'm pretty much there, but the layers have another 4-6 months to go.

• [SIZE=small]Massaging the scalp with onion juice and left for a couple of hours before rinsing it off. This is a proven home remedy for hair growth. [/SIZE]
  • [SIZE=small]Equal quantities of lime seed and black pepper are made into a paste and applied on the scalp everyday. Wash it off after a few minutes with a mild shampoo. [/SIZE]

[SIZE=small]Basically you should carry on with oiling your hair once in a week and as far as my experience is concerned coconut oil is best for hair.. my hair were till shoulders and regular oiling makes them till waist, though it took 1 and a half year but it was fruitful for which I am very happy.[/SIZE]

Originally Posted by katana /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I am! My hair is just like yours in the sense I bleached and coloured it way too much.

I am growing it out again in my natural colour. I don't think I will be doing anything to it for a long time.

I wish it would grow faster, the ends are damaged and slightly lighter then the rest of my hair. Even when I cut them, they still become damaged because the hair itself at that length is.
frown.gif

YESS...It seems to be growing much SLOWER than usual, and maybe its because my hair is so damaged....

I also have eczema on my fingernails, scalp and it might be causing me to lose lots of hair...I can't even comb my hair without losing a lot.....It sucks because I'm only 21..

Originally Posted by Johnnie /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Me?

Yes, sorry i should have been more specific or quote you. But yes, i think your hair is very flattering
smile.gif

Originally Posted by magosienne /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Yes, sorry i should have been more specific or quote you. But yes, i think your hair is very flattering
smile.gif
Aww shucks thank you Mags
smile.gif
Making me blush over here.

I have been trying to grow out my hair for a 2 years now, no matter how good I take care of my hair, eat well etc. I can never get it past bra strap length. It sucks, I think it might be because I don't get it trimmed often because I want to keep the length so I avoid doing it until every few months. I want to get the split end trimmer thing I saw online, actually its on my christmas list lol. I want to keep trying but it is really frusterating.

I am also growing out my hair. I only have a few inches to go before I reach my goal length.

Back