Ashlee's "SNL" Do-Over

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Tuesday October 4 5:06 PM ET

By Joal Ryan

Ashlee Simpson is returning to the scene of the mime.

Nearly one year after the pop star danced a jig on Saturday Night Live, Simpson will be back at Studio 8H as this weekend's musical guest. Her set list was not known. It was presumed she would sing, not dance.

Simpson had been talking up a SNL do-over since late summer. NBC said the booking came together only late last week. The appearance coincides with the Oct. 18 release of Simpson's sophomore album, I Am Me.

It was on SNL back on Oct. 23, 2004, that a flustered Simpson broke into a self-described "hoedown" after her drummer pressed a wrong button, and audiences heard her singing voice even as her mouth was nowhere near the microphone. Shortly thereafter, SNL put Simpson out of her misery, and cut to a commercial.

"The whole situation was a bummer," Simpson told MTV days after the snafu.

The all too live-TV moment made Simpson a household name, à la older sister Jessica Simpson, but seemed to expose her as a lip-syncher, a charge her camp denied. The prerecorded vocals, it said, were backing tracks meant to assist the "Pieces of Me" singer then hoarse from acid reflux disease.

When Simpson was booed at the Orange Bowl, and targeted by the "Stop Ashlee Simpson" campaign, audiences showed they had trouble stomaching the heartburn excuse. But Simpson kept singing, and kept trying to prove she could sing live. She kicked off her first headlining tour in February; early reviews noted that her shows were easy on the Memorex. ("No one sounds like that on tape," the Orange County Register quipped.)

By the time Simpson returns to SNL on Saturday, she and her vocal cords should be more than warmed up. She has scheduled concert dates Wednesday in Chicago, and Friday in Atlanta. A gig in Norfolk, Virginia, originally set for Saturday, has been rescheduled for Oct. 24, owing to her late-night TV reemergence.

Last Sunday, Simpson put on a show in Las Vegas in honor of her 21st birthday, and her upcoming MTV special about her 21st birthday. According to the Las Vegas Sun, the newly blonde singer took to the stage at a Caesars Palace nightclub, and ripped through two numbers from I Am Me, "L.O.V.E." and "Boyfriend."

"If you're wondering if there was any lip-synching going on," Sun columnist John Katsilometes wrote, "I can say with full confidence that I am not sure."

Jon Heder is Saturday's scheduled SNL host. The actor, or at least his Napoleon Dynamite self, is handy with the dance moves should Simpson require further assistance.

hmm.. i wonder what will happen this time...??

i would rather listen to he rlip synch than her real singing though
icon_confused.gif

So how did it go? I missed it!
frown.gif
And I really really wanted to see Jon Heder host!

it was alright. i'm not a fan of her voice though. some of her older songs are catchy, but that's someone else's writing.

no, i saw it on saturday
smile.gif
her hair and makeup was ugly. and her dancing.lol

Back