DESPERATE for a job, seriously need help!

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Ok guys, I am in need of a part time job... I would LOVE to work in either a MAC f/s or counter but I would be almost as happy with any other counter in a dept store...

What should I do? How can I go about finding if there are any openings and HOW DO I GET THEM TO HIRE ME!!

What I think would be a HUGE drawback for hiring me is that I don't have any work experience at a counter or as a MA. I juts have my own experience, which is pretty good, and I have a great eye for color being an artist...

What should I do?

P.S. I am in Tampa FL

you can try asking around to the different counters and turn in apps to all of them. they keep your app for like 6 months. for macy's you can apply online. but go talk to the cosmetics department manager to see if they're hiring.

I'll try that Liz, thanks! Do you know if they might have objections to the fact that I only want to work part time? I am in school full time taking 15 credit hours, so I don't have MASSIVE amounts of time to dedicate... I was thinking M, W, F, Sat from like 9 or 10 to about 4...

i heard that they hire people part time or freelancing at first.

Originally Posted by MACGoddess I'll try that Liz, thanks! Do you know if they might have objections to the fact that I only want to work part time? I am in school full time taking 15 credit hours, so I don't have MASSIVE amounts of time to dedicate... I was thinking M, W, F, Sat from like 9 or 10 to about 4... I don't think you will have a hard time finding a job, especially with the holiday season coming up. Good luck Leila!

thanks! I am filling out an online application for Nordies right now... I'll keep checking other dept store sites too...

Does anyone know requirements for hiring on at a MAC freestanding store?

Why not send a letter to potential employer's and tell them makeup is your passion, once they see how entusiasitc they might just hire you and even if they don't, the next time an opening comes they might just remeber your letter.I would send in a photo with your letter,so they can get a 'feel for you' and your 'energy'. You never know.

If u have pics of ur work, keep or put a portfolio together and just do cold calls at the counters and show them ur work. Sometimes u just need to be in the right place at the right time. Good luck!!

Originally Posted by MACGoddess thanks! I am filling out an online application for Nordies right now... I'll keep checking other dept store sites too...
Does anyone know requirements for hiring on at a MAC freestanding store?

Usually you have to work at a counter before getting hired at a freestanding store (though I'm sure there are exceptions). It's considered a promotion to move up to a store.
Make sure after you fill out the Nordstrom online application, that you drop off your cover letter & resume to the cosmetics department manager AND the MAC manager. Try to do it in person, because it can get easily lost if you hand it to an employee.

Good luck!

Best of luck with your search Leila! We're all rooting for you
biggrin.gif

thanks guys... I filled out an application for Nordie's last night, but do you think I should also go to Nordie's and give the Cosmetics Dept. Manager a resume and cover letter too? I don't know if that might be overkill or not, you know?

Also, I was planning on giving the MAC freestanding store manager a cover letter and resume just in case. I know it is probably a long shot, but hey, why not... Do you think I should do makeup on my friends and include pictures of my "work" in with the one to MAC or not?

Back