Disorganized 15 year old son

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My son is so disorganized when it comes to his homework/classwork, etc. I am realy worried about him. He does his homework, then misplaces it and doesn't turn it in . He is failing 3 classes. He doesn't keep his notes for school organized, therefore he can't study very well for tests. I don't know if this is normal or he is has add. Any info would be great. He is very intelligent, and seems to want to to well, but says he doesn't know how to get organized. My husband fixed him binders with headers and organized everything for him, but now they look like just a mess of papers. Please help, he is going to fail. I mentioned getting him tested for add, but he got really upset, and says we would never take medication. He is a great boy, he goes to church and doesn't drink, drugs or smoke. He has always been very against this kind of stuff. He is afraid to take any kind of medicine really, He just never has trusted stuff like that. My sister had a bout with drug abuse, and ever since then, my son has really been adamant about drugs etc. I don't think he would ever agree to the add meds. So thanks alot

I used to think my daughter had ADD, but I was told since she can focus on things for a great amount of time, she doesn't have it. She's never had formal testing, but we're not concerned with this anymore either.

I would say every night once your son has done his homework, he needs to reorganize his binders. I'd have him reorganize anything that's a dishelved mess daily. They say it takes 21 days before a habit forms.

Outside of that, I really don't know what to tell you. Cyera looks disorganized, but she's not. She tends to take after her month in having what appears to be a disorganized pile to someone else, but an organized one for me.

Sounds like me when I was a kid. LOL and Aquilah I would get a second opinion just because someone is ADD doesn't mean they can't focus on things for long periods of time. In fact its the opposite its called "hyper focusing". People will ADD can concentrate very well for long periods of time on things that peak their interest.

You should really sit down with him and help him get organized. Some kids (like Makayla) are naturally organized...some (like me) are not. LOL

Help him organize himself. Go out and get him things that will help him stay organized...

Also, is his room really messy? If it is, I would say that you need to also teach him how to organize his surroundings. The rule here is that the room can be organized anyway desired...but it has to be organized and neat all the time (except when playing, but everything goes back to its place when we're done). This helps keep the chaos down and the organization up.

Thanks everyone for all the help. Yes, he can concentrate on things for long periods, such as the webpage for our youth group at church. He is the webmaster,and he loves doing that. I still might get him checked, but just so I will know, I don't think he will ever take meds. My youngest son was diagnosed last year with add, and he doesn't take anything. He needs constant reminders to stay on task, but he is doing really well in shcool this year. Thanks again,.

I agree with Venus Goddess. Go through his bedroom with him and clear out all the clutter. Buy stand up dividers and label them: math, english, etc.

I work in a very busy office and have a limited work space. I need dividers, slots, files, etc to organize my work and keep track of all my duties. Take your son to an office supply store and have him pick out everything he needs to be more organized. Consider a large wall calendar that he can write on assignment and due dates. Use different coloured pens- red means math, blue means english, etc.

Your son doesn't sound like he has ADD at all. He needs to be more organized and learn time management skills.

Hope this info helps.

Well I'm 13. And that sounds like about 70% of the kids I know. He's probably also trying to keep/make friends, and still have a social life. And it may not be the fact hes unorganized [it could be a factor] he's probably not balancing a social life and school very well, and the easiest one to let go of is your school work. I don't think he has ADD he sounds just like a normal teenager. But for one thing don't organize his stuff he can't learn to be organized if you do it for him. And maybe try to set some more rules [not rules because he's a 'bad' kid rules to help him out to bring up his school grades] I used to spent all my time on the computer, seriously. My mom made me sit at the kitchen every day and do all my homework, And i'd do it all no matter what. And then she'd let me on the computer and she accutally saw I did my homework.

It would also be helpful if you had a a nice desk and a good place for him to do his work at, no distractions.

He sounds like a normal kid who needs a reminder [even though he sounds like he already knows] that school is very important.

Is he eating a good healthy diet? Also is he sleeping well? These can contribute to his lack of concentration. Maybe he has worries about fitting in at school, or he believes that his work is not up to standard and is afraid of handing it in. Have a good talk to him about if he is getting enough sleep. If he is into video games and TV tell him to cut down so he can concentrate on his studies. You never know, it might be so simple to put right.

He doesn't eat a healthy diet, I fix the meals he just is really fussy about foods. He does however get enough sleep. He has always been good to go to bed and really easy to get up in the morning. No fussing and fighting whatsoever. He does eat some healthy things, but his food choices are very limited. I love to cook for my children, but it is so frustrating when they won't eat. He mostly eats steak, baked potatoes, pizza, chinese food, and some vegetables. like corn and broccoli. That is about it. He will eat eggs sometimes and cereal. He loves gum, and candy.

Latest posts

Back