Is mineral make up right for me?

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi! I'm 17 and I've been pretty curious about this whole mineral makeup thing.. I have sensitive skin that is prone to dryness.. I also don't have much problem with acne, but do sometimes get uneven, blotchy skin. I don't like foundation because I don't like how heavy it feels and the color seems to stick to the dry spots more than everywhere else.. Is it possible mineral makeup will work for me? Are any drugstore brands good? Would I want an actual foundation or just some kind of powder?

any advice would be most helpful! :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Mineral make up would be a great choice for you. Some swear that it helps clear up acne. I know it does soothe acne prone skin. MMU is great because it look natural, and yet will cover blemishes. You should give it a try.

I would definitely recommend mineral makeup to you! Believe me, I am 28 and have been using mineral makeup for 4 years and only wish that I would have been using it when I was 17! It would have saved me a lot of headaches in breaking out from heavy liquid foundations that clogged my pores, etc. I have skin similar to yours with dry patches and then the blotchiness and mineral makeup foundation gives me fantastic coverage that literally feels like I am not wearing any makeup at all on my face...it is just great!

For me personally, I always use a good moisturizer before applying my mineral foundation. I have combination skin (with oily patches, dry patches, and sensitive in general) so I use Good Skin Moisturizing Lotion for combination skin that I buy at Kohl's Department store, let that absorb into my skin for about 10-15 minutes, and then apply my foundation, blush, finishing powder and everything else. I think that as long as you moisturized your skin well that mineral makeup should work out very well for you. I have tried several different brands, and I would recommend that you check out Ocean Mist Cosmetics, Every Day MInerals, and Lumiere Cosmetics for sample kits, foundations, finishing powders, concealers, etc. If you really like eyeshadows like I do, you should check out Fyrinnae, Pure Luxe, Taylor Made Minerals, and Lumiere. I am sure you well get lots of other recommendations from people on the board who are much more knowledgeable than me and I hope you find success with using mineral makeup. I just absolutely love it! :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

How I wish I had mineral makeup when I was your age! I love the feel of mineral makeup. I have oily skin, so this is a great choice for me. Follow the leads of the mineral diva's here concerning your dry skin. I was just on the Meow site this morning and noticed they have a foundation for sensitive skin. I've never ordered from them but dreaming up an order I think. Usually I hone into the descriptions for oily skin and kind of ignore the other types of foundation. There maybe lot's of companies that have what you need. You probably don't want to start with Bare Essentials since so many women can itch from the bismuth. There are so many good brands that are discussed on this board and you can get free or cheap samples. Keep asking questions during your journey, there are so many great helpers here. Make sure that you hit the mineral sites sticky note. It has a long, long list of sites so you won't have to go digging. The list keeps growing also.

The only way of knowing if it's right for you is to try some! Order samples from a few companies (they're really cheap) and find one that works for you. I've only tried bareminerals, but there are a couple threads in this section where people list their favorites, so pick ones that seem popular. Good luck!

i dunno if its right for u but i have your skin :D /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> hah gosh i wish i could have less sensitive skin~ also i m prone to acne and i got break out no matter what makeup i use but the mineral makeup i m using now didnt casue me breakout at all~ i was bad and slept it in once and it didnt give me anything bad:) but u Do have to moisturizer your face well or else it d be very dry for u ~

I think mmu would be good for you, my skin sounds similar to you. I wouldnt recommend drugstore mineral makeup because they have tons of other ingredients that arent so great. You can buy some samples from one of the mmu sites.

:iagree: Besides all the additional "stuff" that is in those brands, drugstore brands usually are very limited in shades. For the price you pay for the drugstore you could get a several samples and get a better match.

I think mineral foundation would be perfect for you. You can start by buying a couple of brushes and ordering some free samples to see if you like it. :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

I think MMU is perfect for you. If you hate foundation because of the feel, welcome to the liberating feeling of minerals! There are great MMU's out there!! I have dry skin and found Lumiere the best for me. They are inexpensive and honestly compete with drug store prices but luxury feel. You are so lucky to be finding out about MMU at 17.

You would love MMU! It's just a powder, so you wouldn't have the icky feeling of liquid foundation! It evens out sooo well, so it would be great. Also - as long as you use moisturizer, it shouldn't affect your dryness!

I just discovered mmu last summer and will, likely, never use anything else. I have /really/ bad skin that is almost completely clear now. My skin is sometimes very dry and sometimes oily (so I guess I have combination skin :?)

Besides healthier skin, the benefits have been:

- lighter feel. Compared to liquid foundation, I don't feel like I am even wearing makeup.

- Surprisingly... better coverage. I would have to cake on liquid foundation to get the same even tone. I sometimes felt as though i appeared to have dipped my head in a makeup bottle - not a good look. I was amazed how little of the mineral powder you have to use to achieve a flawless look.

- Saving time. I don't know about other mmu users, but i zip through my application. Liquid foundation took me alot longer to cover and conceal and smooth, making sure there were no lines, etc.

It is true that you will need a really good moisturizer, though moisturizing your skin is essential for any skin type, (with or without makeup).

I use Bare Escentuals and have yet to try anything else, (though post on here make me curious to). If you end up picking a different brand, I would still suggest giving BE's mineral veil a try.

Back