Need ideas for white elephant gift exchange

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I'm going to a friend's Christmas party on Saturday, and we're having a White Elephant gift exchange. It can be anything worth $5-10, and creativity counts. Well, I'll so NOT creative. Any suggestions?

Love Trader Joe's! How about some Charles Shaw (two buck Chuck) wine from Trader Joe's. It's decent wine.

Do you have a Marshalls or Ross store near ya? They always have some crazy stuff.

No, I don't have a Marshall's, Ross or Trader Joe's store near me.

I think that they are leaning more toward the gag or funny gift, rather than something classy, too.

Hmmm... I'm clueless... I've never even heard of a "white elephant" gift exchange LOL!

Oh, it's fun! Here's the rules, from Wikipedia:

Rules

−===Items needed===

1. All gifts should be valued no more than $15. The gift also can be a old trinket, knick-knack, or unwanted gift from previous years looking to be 'regifted'. (Ex: gag gifts, alcohol,gift cards, home made gifts) Use your imagination and let's make this fun.

2. Participants bring their gifts wrapped or sealed in a gift bag, and often take care to hide the contents of the gift and the identity of the giver.

3. Gifts are placed in a designated area. (Place your wrapped gift on the table of the main conference room).

4. Participants draw numbers to see who goes first, second, etc.

[edit] How to Play

1. The guest who has drawn #1 goes first. He/she chooses a gift from the gift pile, opens the gift for all to see, and keeps it for the time being.

2. The guest who has drawn #2 goes next. He/she can either choose to take an unopened gift from the gift pile or to "steal" a gift from any previous gift-opener.

3. If a gift is "stolen" from a previous gift-opener, he or she may either open an unopened present from the gift pile, or "steal" another guest's opened gift. Turns resume when all guests who have taken their turn possess an open gift.

4. After all turns have been taken, the person who has drawn #1 has the option of taking one more turn (stealing any gift) since they had the disadvantage of not knowing what any of the now-opened presents were in the beginning.

OPTIONAL RULE: A gift is considered "FROZEN" once it has been "stolen" four times, and, once frozen, it becomes unavailable to the other guests---it then belongs to whoever possesses it at that time, and cannot be stolen again. If someone has donated a gift that stands out among the rest, this prevents the game from revolving entirely around that gift.

Origin

The name "Dirty Santa or White elephant" loosely refers to an old tradition of giving second-hand gift items that are either kitschy or burdensome for the owner to maintain. It originates from an old Burmese cultural reference to the value of an albino elephant, which is considered sacred and must be well taken care of, despite the financial burden that it may bring to its owner.

It can get pretty cutthroat if there's a gift everyone wants!

my hubby's ex-company used to do this every year.

from the past events, I remember seeing stuff like flashlights, ham & cheese set, some wicked looking statues (or book ends), tea set, cute coffee/tea mug, etc.

(you can even find some descent candle stuff at rite aid or other places too)

plus, don't worry too much and try to pick out something cute or fun since it's a white elephant gift! They're meant to be casual (seriously, at $5-10, no one is expecting something magnificent), and they won't necessarily know who brought what gift!

Some gag gifts i've seen (which I thought were funny) were like sex-related items, whether it be cards, chess, whatever...

HTH!!!

i have a love/hate relationship when it comes to white elephant gift exchange. It's so fun to see what every1 ends up getting.. .but i'm always sooo totally uncreative and i actually stress out when i can't think of something .... :p /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Back