Not just a third wheel but a chaperone AND buffer

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My good friend and I are headed to an event this week and she decided to meet a guy on the way. She is younger than me, and has never even seen this guy before. I feel comfortable going with her for safety's sake, but I'm not sure what kind of role I should play.

My friend is VERY inexperienced with men, in fact this would be her first boyfriend. She got very flustered on the phone with him and nearly hyperventilated! I cringe at the thought of having to drag her into the bathroom to calm her down while this poor guy waits around. I really want to see her have a successful semi-date with this guy.

Have any of you been in this situation?

What can I do to prepare her and prevent something totally awkward and mortifying from happening?

We will be with him for quite some time. She insisted on getting there early.

Wow! That's a great question! I've never been in that position, but I think it's great you're going with your friend for safety. Hopefully someone else will have better advice or insight, as I'm clueless LOL!

im clueless too. i ones went with my friend and this guy who was into her, it was starting anyway. ok and that was just too weird for me coz i didnt know the guy. i was just happy to be home after that, the worst was he drove my friend first home, and then me!

i guess i dont know, do you have to be there?

I need clarification.

Are you and your friend driving, and picking him up in your car?

And then the two of you would be responsible for getting him back home?

this is spooky.. i mean how does she knw the guy?? any common frnds??? or is it one of those internet chat room romances!! i dont want to scare u or anything but i someone told me a story abt a girl going to meet a chat frnd after talking to him for early 3 mnths. they havent found her as yet. its good that u r going with ur frnd.. just be careful.

second about the inexperience bit.. there's hardly anything u can do abt it... she ll have n will learn from her own mistakes n besides first relationship is hardly ever a smooth affair. i think u r a darling worrying abt her like this n asking ppl what to do for her sake..

Thanks you guys for saying that it's nice that I care but I just don't want to be making things more awkward for her than they already are going to be!

1. YES, I HAVE to be there since she and I will be attending a shopping party afterwards.

2. My friend and I are taking a train into the city, and he will also take a train from his hometown. That way we don't have to ever be in his car. We thought about that carefully.

3. TEENAGE MYSPACE ROMANCE

4. He's cute. I want it to work for her, if it can.

Should I try to convince her to meet him a little later? She wants to meet him in the city really early. I know the first date should be a short one, but the train schedule limits us to either a 7 hour meeting or 1.5.

I would take the train that limits you to 1.5 hours.

She will still have the opportunity to meet him and get to know him a bit.

If either of you discovers he is a jerk, 7 hours will be an awfully long to to be around him.

Off topic but relevant - it is recommeded that a first date be a coffee or a quick lunch. If you hit it off, meet later for dinner. If you don't, then you won't waste too much time together.

how about you guys double date or bring along a really good guy friend that could kick his butt if he has too!

I have to agree with PinkBundles. Double dating sounds like fun, and that way you can check out her new guy. If he ends up being a jerk, make up an excuse and bolt. Sounds cruel, but it'll get you out of there fast!

I can understand her being flustered and nervous. Just have her relax, and take a couple of deep breaths, and have her do some muscle relaxing excercises so you can keep her from hyperventilating.

Try some confidence boosting exercises - that should help with her esteem, as well as calm her down. Perhaps you can schedule an appointment to get your hair, makeup, and nails done. Pick out some sexy, but classy outfits and make a night out of it. The more fun she has, the more she'll forget about being nervous.

Let us know how it goes.

Hope I was some help! *hugz and wink*

Back