Online makeup tryons?

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hey all - I have a bit of an odd question…
How do you all go about finding shades that work for you? Like lipsticks, foundation matches, even things like eyeshadow, blushes or nail polishes.
I know some brands have online shade matching or lipstick trying but there isn’t really like an all encompassing place to compare brands and products and try them out before throwing down a bunch of money (and makeup is expensive). If there was a platform like that, would you want it or find it unnecessary? I definitely struggle with that but it could be because I feel like with my skin tone, so many colors either wash me out or make me look sick so I’m toying with creating something myself but was curious if it would even be helpful or not.
Anyways, just wondering what everyone does and if you’d be interested in a platform like that at all!

Hi Baspazzy,
I find that skin tone is everything. I have looked up different makeup products, like lipstick and eye shadow on Pinterest and if you scroll down below the image, it has different skin tone selections. Click on the one that matches you and it will pull up the products that match that skin tone. I agree that virtual makeup try on sites don't really work that well. Its just not there yet.

The main issue with online colour matching shades to your skin tone is that your computer screen is not colour corrected to the shades that are shown to you. Even if you could adjust the RGB settings, the contrast and saturation settings, brightness et cetera, It's still going to be very difficult to match. Like Shannon22 has said, the technology is not there yet.

Back