superstition... scissors

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I'm in cosmetology school right now...

I told my future MIL about my desire for a good pair os scissors and how I might ask for a pair for Xmas.

She then told me it was bad luck for someone to buy someone scissors for a gift.

Anyone ever hear of this?

I personally dont believe in any superstitions but she was adamant about it!

I have NOT heard of this. I LOL'ED when I read it.
wink.gif

Originally Posted by Tony(admin) I have NOT heard of this. I LOL'ED when I read it.
wink.gif
Ok good. I think I pissed her off when I said I dont believe in Superstitions and that I've never heard... but I wanted to make sure that I wasn't alone in never hearing that!
icon_smile.gif

Originally Posted by Jennifer never heard of it! my culture is VERY superstitous, so i believe some. Do you mind me asking what culture?My MIL is Italian.. she moved here 10 years ago and still believes a lot of wives tales and superstitions. So I'm just wondering
icon_confused.gif

Originally Posted by jaimelynn83 Do you mind me asking what culture?My MIL is Italian.. she moved here 10 years ago and still believes a lot of wives tales and superstitions. So I'm just wondering
icon_confused.gif

i'm albanian. our cultures are similar!

I don't know how true that superstition is, but I was going to buy my cousin a set of Henckles knives in the block for his house-warming and my mom said I can't, because it's bad luck for someone to buy knives of any kind for another.
icon_rolleyes.gif
I wouldn't have a problem with all these superstitions if someone would actually give a reason as to why they exist. I'm also Albanian.

Maybe you could hint at a gift card or AMEX gift certificate and use that to get the scissors. Always find alternatives for gifts.
wink.gif
Good Luck.

I've not heard of this superstition before.

We have lots of superstitions in my culture (i'm hindu) eg. not being able to buy shoes as a present!!

Weird...!!

Wierd thing is, I'm reading a book about superstitions in the UK right now!

It says about scissors that you can't give them as a gift as it "cuts" the friendship between the two people involved. But they can apparently give you some "luck" money to balance it out.

That's interesting! You probably don't want to upset her or make her uncomfortable if that is her belief. Is there someone else you could ask about gifting you with scissors?

Oh yes I've heard that from my mom before!

We don't celebrate Xmas, but we used to exchanged gifts with the family and friend on New Year's Eve.

My mom always warned me not to buy these things for the gifts:

1. Mirror: Meaning of relationship breakup.

2. Handkerchief: Meaning of sadness.

3. Scissors: I don't remember but, my mom said it's not good.

Unfortunately, I didn't tell my friends about this stuff, because I actually don't believe in superstitions.

Two of best friends gave me a mirror and a Handkerchief that night.

Later, a month after, they seemed to avoided me and our friendships relationships is over. Not long after that my days were filled with tears, I lived with my step father.

I really missed them, it's been 8 years and we barely even spoke a word.

I don't have any best friends ever since that happened, until now.

Back