Weird situation -- nausea??

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Okay so this is kind of a long story but I guess I'll bring it up and see what you all think! :ill:

Well, about 20 days I had a Urinary Tract Infection, and I was prescribed the antibiotic Bactrim to clear it up. I was on Bactrim before and I don't remember having any issues with it... except maybe a SLIGHT amount of nausea. I am also on B.C. and sometimes that makes me feel nauseous. Anyway, I got violently ill from the Bactrim this time... like throwing up every day and barely getting anything down, constantly dry heaving and salivating. I had to take one pill every 12 hours, and after taking the antibiotic I would be okay for like 6 hours and then the nausea would set in. After one day of this, since I'm guilty of self-diagnosing :vogel: I decided maybe it was interacting with my BC and I stopped taking the BC.

That wasn't the case though because then after 3 full days of more constant dry heaving and spitting while being only on the antibiotic... I decided I should call my doc. So I called and she said it could be a possible allergic reaction or that maybe it was too strong, and since I was on it for a full 3 days (the normal prescribed amount, but this time they gave me a 5 day prescription), to just stop taking it if I wasn't feeling any more UTI symptoms, which I wasn't.

So I stopped taking the Bactrim and now I'm back on the BC. I was fine for like a day, but the nausea comes back every once and again and I get super-nervous that I'm going to continue being sick. I find that I get extra nauseous and nervous if my stomach is empty... and I don't usually like to eat all the time so it frustrates me that I can't just go like 7 hours without eating the way I used to.

I don't feel nauseous all the time but it is mainly in the evenings that it just sort of comes about, even if I'm fine all day. Then I am back to the dry-heaving and excessive use of Mylanta and Tums. I've found that I'm really gassy as well... like the gas builds up and I have a lot of trouble getting it out (either way lol). And this might be too much info... but if I am going to the bathroom (#2 haha) and I "push" it sometimes makes me feel more nauseous.

But it's NOT morning sickness!! I got my period after stopping the BC, as I normally would, and also I took a pregnancy test right after my period ended (at this point it would've been like 2 and a half weeks since I last had sex)... because the "Can You Be Pregnant and Still Get Your Period?" thread scared the crap out of me! Anyway, that test came out negative... and now like 5 days later, just for good measure, I took another pregnancy test which also said I was NOT pregnant... so I really don't think thats what it is... I just get nauseous, and I'm sick of it.

This is not every single day and its definitely deal-able... but it is frustrating to have to stay in the bathroom for like 15 extra minutes for fear I just might throw up. :sleepyhead:

Any advice guys?

I deal with nausea fairly often. But I have a type of vertigo that comes and goes. Is it possible that you picked up salmonella or similar?

I take an 8 hour relief 75 mg capsule of Gravol.

I don't feel drowsy and I can eat without getting sick.

Hope you feel better.

I recommend taking another pregnancy test to be sure, and if nothing else, going to your doctor. I used to only have "morning sickness" at night with my first daughter, and though I never tossed my cookies, I felt really nauseous. And, it takes 2 weeks from the moment of conception until a test generally comes up positive. So, you could very well be pregnant... Or not...

You need to switch to another antibiotic. Bactrim is only one of many many many antibiotics. There are literally millions of people in this country who cannot take Bactrim due to an allergy to any medicine in the 'Sulfa' class. Myself included. It may be that you are developing an allergy to it. If that's the case, you are not an odd one. Try switching to a non-Sulfa drug.

When I switched antibiotics, all those problems listed above went away completly and I was just fine with no other maladies. Your doctor may want to railroad you into staying on Bactrim, but you need to put your foot down and ask for a prescription for another drug.

I hope this helps you out.

Back