*Bumping Old Threads*

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
 ​
Everyone is Welcome to Post!
Please be careful when replying too and bumping old threads that are 2-3+ years old, that do not have any valuable information in them.
 ​
Please be aware of the thread dates, when replying. Unless a thread contains relevant or current information, products, tips or tricks.
 ​
Thank You - The Mod Squad!
icon_cool.gif

Originally Posted by katana /img/forum/go_quote.gif

​
Some of you may be replying simply to "up" your post count.

Just curious, but what would be the point of doing that?

I have no idea. Some people do, when a new memeber comes on and has 10 or so posts all saying "nice" or "I like it" on extremely outdated (years old)unactive threads, it just seems pointless. It also becomes bothersome when it happens often.

Some posters simply do so, along with spamming for other websites which is not allowed.

LOL that's too funny, like they think there is some prize for having so many comments.

Or like they are required to have so many, for other purposes.

Anyways, no one likes to have all the active threads buried with useless posts. :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

It is just a reminder, not directed at any members :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Merry Christmas Everyone
santa.gif

I dont think this notice will help, ive been here long enough to know that people will always bump 5 year old threads.

Originally Posted by emily_3383 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I dont think this notice will help, ive been here long enough to know that people will always bump 5 year old threads.

I agree.  Also, if someone starts a new thread about an old topic people often link the old topic.    Why not just make it so old topics that are so many days old are automatically locked?

Originally Posted by xjackie83 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Quote: Originally Posted by emily_3383 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I agree.  Also, if someone starts a new thread about an old topic people often link the old topic.    Why not just make it so old topics that are so many days old are automatically locked?

I agree about starting new threads with old topics, and linking them together, that is perfectly acceptable, and can be helpful/useful.

And this issue with old threads, isn't about them being days old, or even months old! But years and years old. LoL

If a thread has useful information in it, then it is not a problem. :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Originally Posted by katana /img/forum/go_quote.gif

If a thread has useful information in it, then it is not a problem. :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

I was just thinking this, that on rare occasion an old thread, even years old, might still be very useful and worth a bump. But...usually not. lol

Yeah I think that threads that are several years old should be locked! Months old no, especially since relevant info can be found in them. I think the admin should have some responsibility in this, newbies are gonna be eager to be active so the threads should be locked to control this.

I have seen this happening a lot lately. I have to say it is extremely annoying when you use the new post button only to find out all the "new" threads are from years back.

I agree & disagree. I can understand that it's annoying when new users are so obviously posting rubbish just to get a higher post count. I didn't want to do that when I joined, I just thought well, when I reach it, I reach it. No big deal.

However, some of the posts are interesting, and the thread is still relevant. I found this forum due to a thread when I was looking at information about Inglot Cosmetics. I decided to join as I was so happy to get some information that helped & wanted to contribute. I posted & it probably posted in an old thread as well. I think it's better to have one thread about a certain topic instead of numerous new ones. The evolution of a thread is sometimes interesting too. I sat here reading a thread that had about 80 pages once. It took me a week or so, a few pages at a time. Better than Jackie Collins! :D /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Just my 2c

I somewhat agree here.  Replying relevantly to a relevant older topic could warrant a relevant reply.  Locating a 5 year old thread then having someone bump it by simply replying "hello" may be annoying. 

Originally Posted by KeLLsTar /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I agree & disagree. I can understand that it's annoying when new users are so obviously posting rubbish just to get a higher post count. I didn't want to do that when I joined, I just thought well, when I reach it, I reach it. No big deal.

However, some of the posts are interesting, and the thread is still relevant. I found this forum due to a thread when I was looking at information about Inglot Cosmetics. I decided to join as I was so happy to get some information that helped & wanted to contribute. I posted & it probably posted in an old thread as well. I think it's better to have one thread about a certain topic instead of numerous new ones. The evolution of a thread is sometimes interesting too. I sat here reading a thread that had about 80 pages once. It took me a week or so, a few pages at a time. Better than Jackie Collins! :D /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20">

Just my 2c

Please understand that bumping a thread is to reply with 'lol, :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />, ok, hello, hi.' stuff like that. You will not be infracted, contacted or warned about posting relevant information to an old thread. 

This is exactly what was meant.

Reply to relevant topics, and bumping old threads is okay, as long as they contain, tips, tricks, products and useful information :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Don't just say "Nice" or "k" to very outdated threads with NO useful information in them. When it is done 10 times by one or more member, it clutters all the new posts with outdated old threads.

This is in NO WAY meant to be mean, Just a reminder out of courtesy for all posting members. :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Everyone is Welcome to post!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tony-admin /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I somewhat agree here.  Replying relevantly to a relevant older topic could warrant a relevant reply.  Locating a 5 year old thread then having someone bump it by simply replying "hello" may be annoying. 

Originally Posted by KeLLsTar /img/forum/go_quote.gif

However, some of the posts are interesting, and the thread is still relevant. I found this forum due to a thread when I was looking at information about Inglot Cosmetics. I decided to join as I was so happy to get some information that helped & wanted to contribute. I posted & it probably posted in an old thread as well. I think it's better to have one thread about a certain topic instead of numerous new ones. The evolution of a thread is sometimes interesting too. I sat here reading a thread that had about 80 pages once. It took me a week or so, a few pages at a time. Better than Jackie Collins! :D /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Just my 2c

This is nice and all but unless moderators actually enforce it and active close old threads or whatever it is then nothing is going to change. Ive been here long enough to know its not happening.

Yes, you're right.  Some of the staff do a better job at enforcing the rules than others.  We are all trying here.  Let me know if you want to help enforce the rules as a staffer. :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20"> thanks!

Originally Posted by emily_3383 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

This is nice and all but unless moderators actually enforce it and active close old threads or whatever it is then nothing is going to change. Ive been here long enough to know its not happening.

Latest posts

Back