Is Mineral Make up - BareMinerals I.d bad for my skin?

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I've been hearing a lot of negative things about mineral makeup lately.
I've been using Bare Minerals for 5 years... and noticed the quality of their makeup has gotten worse year by year.
  Anyone else know anything about this?
  thanx in advance,
tongue.gif

NeenaJay

http://neenajay.blogspot.com

http://neenajay.etsy.com

I didn't really want to know the answer to this, BareMinerals is the only foundation that works for me :( /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> but here's what I came across:

Evidently Bare Minerals has a couple of ingredients that are problematic, bismuth oxychloride and mica. Evidently bismuth oxychloride is known to irritate skin and mica evidently is linked to liver problems and other stuff. My only problem with saying any of this is that I really haven't been able to come across too many reliable sources, it all seems to be speculation. But speculation alone might be enough to get me to switch. I guess it's back to the drawing board for me.

Sources:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-1132810/Is-make-killing-There-deadly-poisons-lurking-handbag.html

bismuth oxychloride is a known irritant and it can make you itchy.  not everyone is irritated by it but many are.

Yes, i agree about bismuth oxychloride. When you hear of problems with Bare Minerals, it's because of that specific ingredient. It's what gives you that "glow" they talk about, nothing a translucent powder can do in my opinion.

As for mica, there are people allergic to mica, but it's very rare.

I cannot say if their products are going worse every year, i fell into the Bare Minerals rave myself, but it didn't work because of the bismuth, and also the brushes from the starter kit, too irritating for me.

It is not bad for MY skin, but stay away from their brushes! After changing to other brushes, it works great for me. And I dont BUFF BUFF BUFF anymore either. Works so much better!

Earlier it was said that you really have to buff because these minerals have to be "warmed up" by this action to melt into your skin. I find this to be so not true.

Well, well, well - lookie here.  I'm at the end of my no makeup for two weeks because of reocurring break outs and I come across this thread!
icon_exclaim.gif

I fully believe my breakouts are due the the matte foundation from bare minerals... and I was willing to try their other foundation... but not any more.

Funny thing is it wasnt making me itchy or anything.  I dont know what the problem is but I know in the two nomakeup stages the only variable that has stayed the same was the makeup/foundation.  SO, it HAS to be that... right?

I haven't used the makeup but love cleansing powder. Off hand can't think of the new name for it but it's $24 a bottle and the cleanser is a powder. Love it.

Back