-->

Welcome to MakeupTalk

Sign In  Log in with Facebook

Create Account
Welcome to MakeupTalk, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be apart of MakeupTalk by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Sponsor

The Return of the MakeupTalk Product Review Center! read more...

Recent Images In This Topic/Thread

No Images in this topic
Photo

Expensive nail polish - yay or nay?

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#Post 1 of 17 OFFLINE   llehsal

llehsal

Aficionado

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,647 posts
  • Joined 16-September 10
Reviews

Posted 04 June 2011 - 05:45 PM

I know expensive is relatively subjective, however expensive to me is anything over $10.  I have quite a few brands in my little stash with Sinful Colors, Orly, China Glaze, Sally Hansen and a few others being my favorites, but I never cross $10.  For me it's just nail polish (my sister would kill me and go into a long diatribe about that statement and would scream blasphemy) and one of those things I could not care less about brandwise.  I have a few expensive ones that I got as gifts, however I have seen no difference in wear.  I did notice however, a difference in formula where two coats is sufficient compared to 3 or 4 in a cheaper brand.  More expensive brands I think also has a wider variety shade wise to choose from....what about you?  Expensive or no?

Nothing is worth more than this day.

#Post 2 of 17 OFFLINE   Maris Crane

Maris Crane

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 904 posts
  • Joined 08-February 11
Reviews

Posted 06 June 2011 - 12:51 PM

I don't notice that much of a difference. I do find a lot of HE even ME brands have more nuanced looking shades than Sally Hansen, or WnW or Revlon, but I don't the wear time or amount of coats to be that different. I find - generally - pricier brands do have better brushes.
i know i'm vulgar, but would you have me any other way?
-- elizabeth taylor

NW10/BB Alabaster, very fair, neutral-cool skin.
sensitive, normal-to-dry, clog-prone skin. blonde/blue.

#Post 3 of 17 OFFLINE   Bonnie Krupa

Bonnie Krupa

Compulsive

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,398 posts
  • Joined 19-April 11
Reviews

Posted 06 June 2011 - 12:57 PM

I paint my nails once in a blue moon so spending lots of money on polish would be silly.  To me, nail polish is nail polish.

#Post 4 of 17 ONLINE   zadidoll

zadidoll

Queen of the Vampire Cats

• Community Manager
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,539 posts
  • Joined 26-February 11
Reviews

Posted 06 June 2011 - 04:48 PM

Yay! But I don't pay retail. ;)

Zadidoll: Beauty blogger

BlogTwitterFacebookInstagram

Ginger, Smokey & Company

#Post 5 of 17 OFFLINE   xjackie83

xjackie83

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 996 posts
  • Joined 24-January 06
Reviews

Posted 06 June 2011 - 05:44 PM

I don't buy expensive polishes either.  I've found that WnW nail polishes work better and chip less than China Glaze.

#Post 6 of 17 OFFLINE   ox0xbarbiex0xo

ox0xbarbiex0xo

Aficionado

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,121 posts
  • Joined 28-June 08
Reviews

Posted 07 June 2011 - 06:05 AM

I would probably agree that $10 is on the expensive side. 

I mostly buy China Glaze (usually buy these on the B2G1 deal at Sally's) and OPI (around $8).  However, I recently bought the Butter London Melt Away cuticle treatment ($20) and it worked like a dream!  So now I'm interested in trying some of their polishes ($14). 

I just feel guilty spending that much on polish, I don't know why.  lol  I don't really mind forking over extra dollars for treatments though!  :-P

#Post 7 of 17 OFFLINE   DreamWarrior

DreamWarrior

Aficionado

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,344 posts
  • Joined 17-March 11
Reviews

Posted 07 June 2011 - 06:22 AM

Nay. I'd rather spend it elsewhere.

#Post 8 of 17 OFFLINE   AmyNxDx

AmyNxDx

Buff

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 379 posts
  • Joined 23-April 11
Reviews

Posted 07 June 2011 - 06:25 AM

I was wondering the big differences. I recently started painting my nails nonstop because it helps me to stop chewing them, so I am all for trying out new colors, brands, etc. So far it's worked, I haven't chewed my nails in over a month and I even had to cut them they got so long! 28 years of nail chewing and I think, I hope, I finally quit!!

#Post 9 of 17 OFFLINE   ox0xbarbiex0xo

ox0xbarbiex0xo

Aficionado

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,121 posts
  • Joined 28-June 08
Reviews

Posted 07 June 2011 - 06:39 AM

Congrats!  I've never been a nail biter myself, but I do bite the sides of my fingers... lol  *ashamed*  I think it may be an even worse habit!  And definitely a hard one to kick! 

Originally Posted by AmyNxDx View Post

I was wondering the big differences. I recently started painting my nails nonstop because it helps me to stop chewing them, so I am all for trying out new colors, brands, etc. So far it's worked, I haven't chewed my nails in over a month and I even had to cut them they got so long! 28 years of nail chewing and I think, I hope, I finally quit!!

#Post 10 of 17 OFFLINE   AmyNxDx

AmyNxDx

Buff

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 379 posts
  • Joined 23-April 11
Reviews

Posted 07 June 2011 - 06:41 AM

Thanks! Oh yeah, I used to do that too... and cut my cuticles and bite them.. it was pretty gross!! I've been trying SO HARD to not bite... it's amazing how strong my nails are getting!!

#Post 11 of 17 OFFLINE   kayjay

kayjay

Novice

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 138 posts
  • Joined 18-April 11
Reviews

Posted 07 June 2011 - 10:21 AM

Around $15 is my max for polish and I've never actually spent that much. My favorite brand is Zoya and I pay around $8 for that. I would love to try some of the really expensive polishes like Deborah Lippmann, Butter London, and even Chanel...but I can justify right now. The wear time for me is way better on Zoya, but even with brands like that I usually order during promos.

#Post 12 of 17 ONLINE   zadidoll

zadidoll

Queen of the Vampire Cats

• Community Manager
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,539 posts
  • Joined 26-February 11
Reviews

Posted 07 June 2011 - 01:45 PM

I would love some of those brands as well but I can't justify spending that much money. I buy OPI and China Glaze at a pro discount but only because I order products for my mother's salon (online) or have her pick stuff up at the warehouse. I can buy Essie, Orly, CND, China Glaze, Lanel, NSI, OPI, SpaRitual, Zoya, IBD, Seche and a few others all at 50% off retail. If it wasn't for her I couldn't get a lot of stuff on discount. Now if only she'd let me get her pro cards/discounts with makeup companies! LOL Better still if makeup companies would give the same discount to licensed professionals as they do to non-licensed people.

Zadidoll: Beauty blogger

BlogTwitterFacebookInstagram

Ginger, Smokey & Company

#Post 13 of 17 OFFLINE   MikiChicBella

MikiChicBella

Trainee

• Members
  • Pip
  • 23 posts
  • Joined 09-June 11
Reviews

Posted 09 June 2011 - 04:17 PM

I was actually a picker, Hang nails cuticles all of it...all OCD about it too..but I have stoped that since doing all the nail art

Originally Posted by ox0xbarbiex0xo View Post

Congrats!  I've never been a nail biter myself, but I do bite the sides of my fingers... lol  *ashamed*  I think it may be an even worse habit!  And definitely a hard one to kick! 

#Post 14 of 17 OFFLINE   whitwmore55

whitwmore55

Trainee

• Members
  • Pip
  • 28 posts
  • Joined 10-June 11
Reviews

Posted 12 June 2011 - 06:12 AM

Nail polish is expensive or less expensive is not a factor. It is approximately same but different in brand name. It is is my opinion it may be wrong.

#Post 15 of 17 OFFLINE   AmyNxDx

AmyNxDx

Buff

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 379 posts
  • Joined 23-April 11
Reviews

Posted 12 June 2011 - 07:07 AM

Yeah... I was kinda thinking they are all probably the same... some just dry faster or go on thicker?

#Post 16 of 17 OFFLINE   NotAVampireLvr

NotAVampireLvr

Buff

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 375 posts
  • Joined 29-May 11
Reviews

Posted 12 June 2011 - 09:05 AM

I think the cheaper brands can work just as well... some may be a little harder to apply then others and do take longer to dry. I will say I do keep probably 3-4 bottles of OPI on hand because it does go on so easily and it dries so much faster than some other brands I've used. There is a definite difference in quality in respect to that... but as far as staying power and all that. Cheaper and Expensive run neck and neck IMO.

#Post 17 of 17 OFFLINE   MakeupCritic

MakeupCritic

Novice

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 75 posts
  • Joined 17-June 11
Reviews

Posted 17 June 2011 - 09:01 AM

I think the quality is more important than the price. I have some cheap nail polishes which works even better than expensive ones.

Make up tips viewed from impartial standpoint www.makeupcritic.com