-->

Welcome to MakeupTalk

Sign In  Log in with Facebook

Create Account
Welcome to MakeupTalk, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be apart of MakeupTalk by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Sponsor

Recent Images In This Topic/Thread

No Images in this topic
Photo

How much money do you spend on your hair ?

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#Post 1 of 14 OFFLINE   HairyMan

HairyMan

Trainee

• Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts
  • Joined 09-September 11

Posted 09 September 2011 - 04:15 PM

I found out that some people spent whole lotta money on hair maintenance!

I use some cheap dandruff shampoo, wash my hair twice a week.
My sister does the haircutting(3-5 inches every 3 months) !  I have some 2 year old comb! 
I have become careless about the hair, i'm too lazy to use my comb.
The winter is coming guess i should hold on with getting a big haircut! 

#Post 2 of 14 OFFLINE   divadoll

divadoll

Compulsive

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,791 posts
  • Joined 03-May 10

Posted 09 September 2011 - 08:49 PM

I'm pretty low maintenance when it comes to hair in terms of $$$.  I cut and colour my own hair.  I've been doing this since I was 13 and my sister was 12.  We'd do each other's hair.  I make my own styling wax.  I also make my own liquid castile soap which I use once a week and I use a suped up cleansing conditioner with added sweet almond oil, rosemary extract and chamomile hydrosol.  My brush is about 5 years old now. 

An appeaser is one who feeds a crocodile, hoping it will eat him last. - Winston Churchill

#Post 3 of 14 OFFLINE   HairyMan

HairyMan

Trainee

• Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts
  • Joined 09-September 11

Posted 10 September 2011 - 11:15 AM

Wow i thought my brush was old :D 

#Post 4 of 14 OFFLINE   divadoll

divadoll

Compulsive

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,791 posts
  • Joined 03-May 10

Posted 11 September 2011 - 09:55 AM

I clean it, it works and why buy a new one?  I have one of those things that scoop the hair out, wash it with soap and hot water.  Oddly enough I keep looking and buy new brushes but end up going back to that one.  I end up not liking them, my kids scoop the new ones and they end up in some black hole of brushes. 

An appeaser is one who feeds a crocodile, hoping it will eat him last. - Winston Churchill

#Post 5 of 14 OFFLINE   CharmedImSure

CharmedImSure

Buff

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 391 posts
  • Joined 18-May 07

Posted 12 September 2011 - 04:25 PM

When I was highlighting it, could be up to $250 at the salon.  Haircuts up to $90.  That's when I had a job.   Now that I just finished college with huge debt, no job, and because of taking the pill my hair is thinner than usual, I haven't even had a haircut in a year and slowly getting back to my natural color.  My Chi serum has lasted me the past 4-5 years, and not even half way through, and I buy huge bottles of Redken shampoo and conditioner...I do have Sedu blowdryer and straighter (2nd one) which were the most expensive tools ever for me...I guess all in all I spend a lot, but it doesn't look like it right now because of the bad shape its in.

#Post 6 of 14 OFFLINE   n1ta1

n1ta1

Trainee

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
  • Joined 05-September 11

Posted 15 September 2011 - 10:15 AM

I use to pay a low amount but realized it was just not upto my standards and it was not even worth the amount I was paying.  They did a really bad job and it did not look the way I wanted it to.  So I did some digging and found places that charged about $35-40 but it included wash, cut, and blowdry.  That is what I found Ontario and went with that.

When I moved from Ontario to Manitoba, I found a salon that charged the same ($35-40 intermediate hairstylist) which included wash, cut, blowdry and straightening.  I find that paying that much is better than paying less.  If you can pay a little more to acheive better results and make your hair look better and have the look you want is much much better.

#Post 7 of 14 OFFLINE   GirlyEnthusiast

GirlyEnthusiast

Mastiff Momma

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,535 posts
  • Joined 22-March 11

Posted 15 September 2011 - 10:22 AM

I've never colored my hair before so I thankfully don't have to pay for much upkeep. I just get a cut every 3-4 months which runs me about $50. And I just get drugstore shampoo/conditioner.

#Post 8 of 14 OFFLINE   CloverS

CloverS

Trainee

• Members
  • Pip
  • 36 posts
  • Joined 04-August 11

Posted 15 September 2011 - 12:58 PM

I will purchase appliances if they break down, but I don't buy expensive ones and they usually last a few years for me. When I used to have much more money, cuts and color were around 200 every few months or so. Now that I am poor I spend about 80 dollars on one good hair cut a year before my birthday and no more coloring because of cost. I have colored it at home but its not the same as a good pro job.

#Post 9 of 14 OFFLINE   Maris Crane

Maris Crane

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 904 posts
  • Joined 08-February 11

Posted 16 September 2011 - 06:42 PM

Cut & colour I have done professionally, and I go every 5-6 weeks. I buy salon brand shampoo, but I usually buy the big 1L bottles at Marshall's or Winners. I use Yes to Carrots! pampering conditioner, usually buy on sale or on Optimum Points promotion at Shoppers. I buy the Neutrogena Anti-Residue at drugstores, but a bottle of that lasts at least 6 months. I do buy my hair mask (Biolage Hydrotherapie balm), leave-in (It's a 10!) and heat protectant (CHI Silk Infusion) at full-price, but those all last forever. I have pretty fine hair, and it's naturally pretty straight, so I don't actually own a flat-iron. I'm hoarding Optimum Points until I can get a T3 blow-dryer, and just pay the tax, but I'm using a Con-Air right now that works fine. Combs... I'm using one from the Ethnic section that I bought for $6.99 (love 'em so much I have 3!) and I usually just buy brushes from Sally's.
i know i'm vulgar, but would you have me any other way?
-- elizabeth taylor

NW10/BB Alabaster, very fair, neutral-cool skin.
sensitive, normal-to-dry, clog-prone skin. blonde/blue.

#Post 10 of 14 OFFLINE   magosienne

magosienne

Obsessed

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,321 posts
  • Joined 02-May 06

Posted 19 September 2011 - 09:08 AM

I'm pretty low maintenance actually. Neutral shampoo i bought on a promotional discount so i'm stocked until next year, a bottle of a strong nourishing oil for my lengths and weekly masks, and a heat protectant for winter. all of these products last a few months.

I have fine damaged hair, so i don't own any other hot tools than my blowdryer.

My biggest expense is the hairdresser actually, on average 35€ for just a damage control and haircut maintenance.

i have a round brush with natural bristles that my parents donated to me, and it's at least a dozen years old. It's still in very good shape.

#Post 11 of 14 OFFLINE   13Bluestar97

13Bluestar97

Aficionado

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,309 posts
  • Joined 14-July 11

Posted 21 September 2011 - 01:48 PM

I'm not too high maintenance - I just need some shampoo, conditioner, anti frizz serums, deep conditioners, leave-in conditioners, defining serums, swimmers shampoos, heat spray....never mind

I used to be careless about my hair until I walked into this fancy hair salon and my hair looked like I was an uncombed Barbie doll. From that point I bought more hair care products and started to care. I usually spend five minutes on my hair - just load the products and go

#Post 12 of 14 OFFLINE   dixiewolf

dixiewolf

Aficionado

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,624 posts
  • Joined 17-May 05

Posted 24 September 2011 - 09:58 AM

I get my haircut every other month to keep the shape, it's 35. I have it dyed every month b/c it has a lot of gray in it, it's 50. Before I started getting gray, I went every 3 months to just trim it and highlight it. I have tried dying my own hair and it was disastrous so I went to a salon to fix it and I use the same person all the time now. Highlights are too expensive for me anymore so I just dye it brown.

#Post 13 of 14 OFFLINE   Summers

Summers

Trainee

• Members
  • Pip
  • 20 posts
  • Joined 25-March 11

Posted 26 September 2011 - 09:59 AM

I have my hair colored maybe once a month or 2 and spend 35 on that for a full head plus a free cut, i use dove color shampoo and condition which I love at the moment!! its ony like 1.30 each, thats pretty much all as i dont use alot of products on it. if im in the mood i buy a few treatments or serums.

#Post 14 of 14 OFFLINE   arodriguez

arodriguez

Trainee

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • Joined 16-August 11

Posted 26 September 2011 - 11:00 AM

Probably too much, however this has changed lately since much of what I buy ends up sitting on a shelf, unused. I was out of conditioner and body wash last week and happened to find both at Trader Joe's for 2.49 each in a delicious citrus scent. They're just as good as other brands that are 1000x the price. I'm very excited :)