-->

Welcome to MakeupTalk

Sign In  Log in with Facebook

Create Account
Welcome to MakeupTalk, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be apart of MakeupTalk by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Sponsor

Recent Images In This Topic/Thread

No Images in this topic
Photo

Blogs, Books, and Magazines - Oh MY!

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#Post 1 of 2 OFFLINE   calexxia

calexxia

Aficionado

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,220 posts
  • Joined 09-January 12

Posted 07 February 2012 - 08:06 PM

Ever since zadidoll and I were talking about the NEW BEAUTY magazine that ships in Test Tube, I've been wondering about other folks' "beauty reading lists". Obviously there are a zillion beauty blogs (and that's where I go to find out about new stuff, honestly), but what about books and magazines? Which ones do you dig, and why?

For me, I don't really buy too many of the beauty magazines, simply because they've gotten so very THIN on editorial, although I occasionally pick up ALLURE when I'm in the airport and REINVENTING BEAUTY when it has good coupons in it (although I HATE that all of the articles in that one are straight PR releases and boilerplate service articles).

Books, however.....I'm a bookslut. These are my favorites ON TOPIC :)

MAKING FACES/FACE FORWARD by Kevyn Aucoin - I LOVED his style of makeup. He was AMAZING (not my first beloved makeup artist, but who else here is old enough to remember Way Bandy?) and I STILL get inspiration from FF and techniques from MF.

BEAUTY CONFIDENTIAL by Nadine Haobsh - I don't really care for her blog, but this book was great at breaking down then-current items and discussing product realities.

BEAUTY: THE NEW BASICS by Rona Berg - A little outdated now, perhaps, but still a good, basic reference that I loan out to folks who are just dipping their toes into the pretty waters. I liked that it had very simple explanations of topics that can be QUITE confusing.

THE COMPLETE BEAUTY BIBLE by Paula Begoun - Again, maybe a bit out of date, but very in-depth and I learned a LOT from this one, which I still keep around for reference purposes.

And while these two are only tangentially related, they're still fun memoirs that discuss similar topics:

THE FASHIONISTA FILES by Karen Rabinowitz and Melissa de la Cruz - While primarily about fashion, there are a couple of chapters about beauty and the interplay between these two and their VERY opposite styles is entertaining.

FREE GIFT WITH PURCHASE by Jean Collins - A fun little insider's look into the world of fashion/beauty editors. Yep, there ARE still gals out there who don't realize how closely tied editorial and advertising are

"The food was terrible and the portions were soooo small!"

#Post 2 of 2 OFFLINE   Pancua

Pancua

Aficionado

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,810 posts
  • Joined 27-December 11

Posted 07 February 2012 - 08:16 PM

I mostly stick to magazine's right now: Vogue and People Style and Redbook are some of my faves. :D