Squarehue - May 2013

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Oops, I didn't start my thread in the Squarehue Group. So here it is. This month's theme is The Madonna Collection and I got my shipping notice last night.

Hmmm judging the picture it seems like by Madonna they mean the mother Madonna (mary) and not Madonna the singer lol. but maybe that's just me having studied too much italian renaissance...

Hmmm judging the picture it seems like by Madonna they mean the mother Madonna (mary) and not Madonna the singer lol. but maybe that's just me having studied too much italian renaissance...
Nope, you're not reading the wrong thing into it. Mother Mary would indeed be the Madonna in question. May is Mother's Day, after all. I'm hoping for a carnation pink because I believe legend has it that carnations are the result of Mary's tears, so they're the traditional Mother's Day flower. They were also my mom's favorite flower. I have one tattooed on my left forearm in her memory.

I got shipping last night. Not sure what colors I'm hoping for but they sent pinks in February.

I got shipping last night. Not sure what colors I'm hoping for but they sent pinks in February.
They sent golds in December and March, so it doesn't seem like it's too soon for a pink. I have a very specific shade of pink in mind, and it wasn't sent in February.

True, but they're perfect for Mother's Day.  The Christian legend I was trying to remember earlier (spoiler just in case anyone is still trying to avoid them):  

The first carnations appeared on the ground where the tears of the Virgin Mary landed as Jesus carried the Cross.  Then there's the part where the woman who founded Mother's Day picked carnations as the official symbol because they were her mom's favorite flower.  Red carnations in particular are A Thing for Mother's Day in Japan, although they are also mourning flowers there, too.  Given the theme, I would have been shocked if they had gone in another direction for this collection.  I'm looking at photos of carnations, and I'm thinking that this collection will make for some interesting Saran Wrap manicures.  I can't believe I'm actually looking forward to getting my hands on pink polishes, but the more I think about these particular colors together, the more I want them in my hands *now*!

Read on in the spoiler for my opinion so far...

At first I was "pink?!?!?" because pink is my least favorite color. But... they're clearly meant to be worn together, and the more I think about it, the more I think they'll work well as a gradient or an ombre mani. I might even try to do a watermarble with them as I haven't tried watermarbling yet.

Ooh, it looks like mine should be waiting for me when I get home from work! I guess I know what I'll be doing tonight! ETA: Got it! Let's see if I can do this from my phone.

Left to right: happy creme, mother's pearl, and day glow.
Further ETA: I just saw the June theme. Ugh, between this and Starlooks shipping out at the end of the month, May is going to be almost as long as February (the longest month of the year, regardless of what the calendar claims).

Back