Boxy Charm [Spoilers]

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I signed up and was under the impression I'd be getting the May box. Was told I missed the cut off for it. When I replied with screen caps of the posts on Facebook saying how long you had to sign up to get the May box, CS told me they'd go ahead and send me one. CS seems to be pretty on the ball, so I'm hoping they follow through with what I was told. The June boxes are supposed to be shipping on the 15th.

I have a few real concerns with them-

-they literally copied the entirety of the old Glossybox website, which is incredibly odd.

-$23 for drugstore products (when you were using photos of NARS and the like in promotional materials on facebook).. hmm.

-reviewers have reported receiving old, discontinued stuff in their boxes

There was a lot of talk about it on Youtube and on a few bloggers reviews - they finally came out last night and admitted to buying from third party sources. I find it VERY troubling they weren't transparent about the fact that these products come from liquidators/wholesalers, not the brands themselves - and even still, they're trying to gloss over the fact that there is no way to confirm the authenticity/quality of these products, since they aren't obtained through any brand-authorized means and are most likely diverted product.

Dear Boxycharm subscribers and followers,

We would like to give you a little history about our company. We purchase our products from third party vendors, not directly from the brands. Some items may not be available in stores as they may have been from last season or with different packaging. We intentionally started this company with a new approach than other subscription boxes; to provide full size items from well known and popular brands. We hand select every item from our warehouse to assure that you receive popular and loved items. if you have any questions or concerns, feel free to email us at [email protected]

Warm regards,
Boxycharm Management

I saw a review of this box and I think it was stated on another MUT thread that the items are purchased from third parties (not straight from the brand or manufacturer) and that the items are older - discontinued or from seasons past.  The box focuses on drugstore products so I'll be passing on this one. It's too expensive for what it is as I can get new drugstore items anytime and they're always on sale. 

ETA: Yep! - That's what I saw ^^^^

I live in a small town and the nearest walmart is even like 20 minutes away and when I go makeup shopping I don't want to buy drugstore products, I want to go to like Sephora, so getting drugstore products isn't a turn off. I also don't really care if something is old or discountinued as long as it isn't expired. All the boxes I've seen so far have been pretty good, and as far as I could tell nothing was expired and really that's all I care about. I know not everyone feels this way, but that is just my opinion.

Besides in all honesty I'm just getting June's box because I'm moving in August and I thought it would be fun to try as many boxes as I can before I move (i.e. before I'm living on my own and no longer have any money)

Originally Posted by Mary322 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

This is an interesting review that someone else shared on MUT  about Boxy Charm.  Keep in mind, this is just one person's opinion!

http://youtu.be/JLG8IcBRVgI
It's nice to see an honest review from someone who received a complimentary box. I rarely see those. And her facial expressions are hilarious.

Originally Posted by smiletorismile /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I live in a small town and the nearest walmart is even like 20 minutes away and when I go makeup shopping I don't want to buy drugstore products, I want to go to like Sephora, so getting drugstore products isn't a turn off. I also don't really care if something is old or discountinued as long as it isn't expired. All the boxes I've seen so far have been pretty good, and as far as I could tell nothing was expired and really that's all I care about. I know not everyone feels this way, but that is just my opinion.

Besides in all honesty I'm just getting June's box because I'm moving in August and I thought it would be fun to try as many boxes as I can before I move (i.e. before I'm living on my own and no longer have any money)
I can totally understand that - I just think the price point is way, way too high when you consider that these are discontinued products deeply discounted and purchased from third party sources - liquidators and wholesalers. There is definitely a market for a reputable sub box with full size drugstore products, I just wish Boxycharm had been more transparent from the get-go that these items are liquidated, discontinued products.

Unfortunately, the wholesale/liquidation market for cosmetics is full of a lot of dodgy products - discontinued, expired, mislabeled, counterfeit items, and if that is where Boxycharm is getting their products from then they have no way to guarentee the safety or authenticity of what they're sending customers.

There was another thread in which we were talking about them.  They had started their own thread and were PM'ing members.  (I was one of them.)

Their "Brands" page is still exactly like Glossybox's except on Glossybox when you click the link, it actually goes to the site for that company.  Boxycharm's just loops on itself.

They have some real leg work to do before I ever think of subscribing.

Originally Posted by wildsp187 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

There was another thread in which we were talking about them.  They had started their own thread and were PM'ing members.  (I was one of them.)

Their "Brands" page is still exactly like Glossybox's except on Glossybox when you click the link, it actually goes to the site for that company.  Boxycharm's just loops on itself.

If you don't mind me asking, what in the world were they PM'ing people about?  Were they trying to get you to sign up?

They posted a message "do you know about this box" kind of deal.. I forget what the term is about it.. So then people were going to the site and kind of commenting on it. So then they took the site down.  If you wrote anything about them taking the site down or anything, they pm'ed you... basically trying to sell their box and explaining why they took the site down.

Oh, I remember this! I had totally forgotten it was them. This company is a mess.

They posted a message "do you know about this box" kind of deal.. I forget what the term is about it.. So then people were going to the site and kind of commenting on it. So then they took the site down.  If you wrote anything about them taking the site down or anything, they pm'ed you... basically trying to sell their box and explaining why they took the site down.
That is a bit strange on off-putting. I don't think they were aiming for that, but nonetheless, I think that would probably turn most people off instead of on to their brand.

Originally Posted by smiletorismile /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I love the drugstore where I live and go there over Sephora any day.

They have a better points system (today it was spend $75 and get $25 of points and this was for anything in store).

Also the drugstore chain I go to they have a beauty boutique and sell a lot of the same brands as Sephora like Benefit, Anna Sui, Lancome, Dior, Bvlgari and even have a high end discount perfume shelf with random stuff for $20 and sometimes in the store flyer there is specials for high end perfumes.

When I went to the US and went to a drugstore there, it was so dissapointing in comparison and I did not buy anything other than tons of candy that you can not get in Canada.

If you go to Canada, check out Shoppers Drugmart- it is amazing!!!

I don't have an issue with drug store brands in a beauty box, if it's known in advance that those are the products they will be offering and everyone knows what they are getting into. Boxy Charm does show that their brands are mainly drug store variety, which is why I'm not interested (besides the fact they don't ship to Canada). I'm just not interested in receiving things I can buy myself down the street, often for less.

I do have an issue with subscription boxes including discontinued products and "seconds" purchased from liquidation suppliers. This is how dollar stores get their products. If you wouldn't shop for cosmetics at a dollar store, why would you subscribe to a box that sources their products from the same place as the dollar store?

Knowing that Boxy Charm gets its products this way only affirms that their box is grossly overpriced. GlossyBox Canada obtained their products the same way. Clients started noticing they were receiving drug store sell off's, out of season colours and discontinued products. GlossyBox Canada is now out of business. Boxy Charm should take note.

Really, I don't mind the buying wholesale thing, nor am I opposed to discontinued products unless they are expired (sometimes I really want to try a prodcut they are no longer selling because the color wasn't popular, but I loved it), but in order to make this work, they would need to lower the price dramatically. I am talking like $10 a month because Ipsy and Birchbox both sell at that price and can still come out with some really nice products for us. Sure, a lot are deluxe/sample sized, but they are current products and much higher end. I would really love to see Boxy Charm do well, but they will surely fail with the way they are working right now. Not to mention that they need to seriously overhaul their website, but that is fairly simple. 

Originally Posted by nelliebelle1197 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

This one is giving me major alarms!
It's off the hinky meter for me too. Everything about this sub seems really shady. 
icon_rolleyes.gif

Latest posts

Back