SquareHue: April 2014 -- SPOILERS

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Welp, after what seems to have been a bit of a let-down with the Paris collection, let's start talking about our next destination:

AMSTERDAM!!

Sorry for the subscribe button -- it was the best "snipping" I could do!

Orange, purple and green seem to be the obvious color choices from the picture, but how about textures?  I'd love a metallic orange.  Maybe a green/purple duochrome -- they might be fairly common, but it might give the ability to get 4 colors into three polishes.  There are some pink/reds that might be pretty in the image as well.  Anything, for heaven's sake, but white!

Also, just throwing a question out there ... is the surprise of SquareHue starting to become less attractive?  Would it be better to have at least one polish "spoiled" each month to help people make up their minds, or do you think it would cause too many ups and downs from month-to-month to be sustainable?

The Coastal Collection last November was my first SH month.  While I personally liked the Paris collection (I have a lot of need for "neutral" polishes because of my work), I can understand the frustration of so many off-white polishes in a row.  What would it take to get you excitted about SH again?

I could see Amsterdam featuring a nice cobalt blue cream because that's a color I associate with the city (Van Gogh!), and it's the big color for spring, except it's not in the preview picture. I always want metallics, foils, and duochromes! The deep purple on the far right end would be gorgeous, even as a cream. I remember a certain brand of candy sort of like Tic Tacs in the 70s (can't recall the name, but it started with a D. Dynamints, maybe?) that had a red/orange/purple combo, that's what the preview reminds me of.

Quote: Originally Posted by jennm149 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Also, just throwing a question out there ... is the surprise of SquareHue starting to become less attractive?  Would it be better to have at least one polish "spoiled" each month to help people make up their minds, or do you think it would cause too many ups and downs from month-to-month to be sustainable?

The Coastal Collection last November was my first SH month.  While I personally liked the Paris collection (I have a lot of need for "neutral" polishes because of my work), I can understand the frustration of so many off-white polishes in a row.  What would it take to get you excited about SH again?
You pose some good questions.  As you all know from my whining on the March discussion, I was extremely disappointed in the Paris/March box.  I expected neutrals from the preview picture but was completely gobsmacked to have received a third off-white in four months.  What bugs me now is that SqH will not answer someone else's polite question on FB as to WHY???

So I hate the off-white and hate the nude color that would give me Band-Aid hands if I wore it (which I will not), so basically I've paid $15 for one polish, the light green, which I only feel so-so about.  I can't afford, literally, to keep doing this -- paying for polish that I don't like and won't wear.

SqH IS a good company, with good customer service, etc. but I think that since I subscribed since the beginning, I'm burned out on it and the surprises are not working for me.  I've suspended my account and have no plans at this time to reactivate it.

What would it take for me to jump back in?  Several things:  An explanation, if not an outright apology, from SqH about all the boring off-whites.  A halt, at least for a long time, to all the yellows and yellow-whites and yellow-greens.  A promise of more foils and more holos.

I love the idea of a cobalt blue! I would almost rather have a nice blue than the green that is pictured...Also, in my short time subscribing it seems like they throw in one random, not previewed, color so it may be likely that the colors in the picture are not the only ones we will be getting. I also have no idea what kind of finishes to expect! They have been sending out a lot of cremes lately so, although I love cremes, I hope that we will start to get some new finishes soon! 

As far as the surprise, I actually like it! For the most part, I have enjoyed the colors I have received since December. I love red nail polish, so the double reds in December/January didn't bother me, the February box was awesome, and I also need neutrals for work, so I was glad to have the March colors, which luckily worked with my skin tone. I am getting sick of the off-white shades though and  agree that it is an expensive gamble. I am planning on sticking with SquareHue for several months (excluding June since I am planning on skipping then) to see what colors and finishes I get before reexamining whether it would be more cost-effective to just find the colors I want instead of paying for some I might not like. 

Before signing up, I looked through past lookbooks and was excited to see that although similar shades have been released by SquareHue, it appeared they were usually good at sending out new colors each month (giving space between duplicates) so it has been disappointing that I have received similar colors 3 out of the 4 months I have been signed up. I hope that with spring and summer coming up, SquareHue moves on to brighter colors. 

FYI, we got a cobalt blue creme in July called Patriot.  This color in a completely different finish, such as a foil, would be nice.

I'm looking forward to this one. Paris was my first month.. Wasn't all that excited when I got those colors. The green leaned really yellow on me. 

Quote: Originally Posted by TheSilverNail /img/forum/go_quote.gif
  FYI, we got a cobalt blue creme in July called Patriot.  This color in a completely different finish, such as a foil, would be nice.

Ooh, yeah, I forgot about that one.  But I was thinking of something a little...  Creamier, maybe?  I don't even know how to describe it, but something more like Sally Hansen Xtreme Wear in Pacific Blue.  I actually have a bottle of Pacific Blue, but for some reason, I want it in a Square Hue bottle, too!  I guess I just love the chunky cubes.

OK, SquareHue finally answered my question on Facebook about the June box (sorry, there's no June SqH discussion yet), the one that people can vote on.  I asked if we'd know the winning colors ahead of time, so people can either reactivate if they want the colors, or suspend if they don't.  SqH said:  "Hi there, sorry to have taken so long to respond, the voting is still open and will go on until March 28. The results of the voting will be unveiled once the polish ships on June 1st and members receive their boxes."

So that means that we WON'T know ahead of time what the trio will be, just that it's one of the three posted.  Since I dislike two of the three combos quite a bit (No more orange!  No more yellow-green!), I will not be reactivating for the June box.

Thoughts?  If you love all three of the June possibilities, I'm happy for you, honest.  I'm just picky.  P.S.  If you haven't seen the choices:

http://www.nailitmag.com/squarehue

OK, SquareHue finally answered my question on Facebook about the June box (sorry, there's no June SqH discussion yet), the one that people can vote on.  I asked if we'd know the winning colors ahead of time, so people can either reactivate if they want the colors, or suspend if they don't.  SqH said:  "Hi there, sorry to have taken so long to respond, the voting is still open and will go on until March 28. The results of the voting will be unveiled once the polish ships on June 1st and members receive their boxes."

So that means that we WON'T know ahead of time what the trio will be, just that it's one of the three posted.  Since I dislike two of the three combos quite a bit (No more orange!  No more yellow-green!), I will not be reactivating for the June box.

Thoughts?  If you love all three of the June possibilities, I'm happy for you, honest.  I'm just picky.  P.S.  If you haven't seen the choices:

I wonder if there is any way we will be able to make an educated guess based on the preview picture? For example, if there's orange in the picture we will know it is Option 1 and if the picture is mostly blues we maybe can guess that it's Option 3?

Either way, I don't love all the colors in each scheme so I'll probably skip that month. While in general I love the surprise of SquareHue, I already have the colors I do like from that collection, based on the preview picture, so I know I wouldn't be very happy with my box and would rather save the money than take the chance. This is why I'm glad SquareHue has a pause/suspend button so you can take a break without quitting the subscription. 

Good point, about making a guess.  I like several of the polish colors shown, but only one from each trio.  Oh, how I wish there was a build-your-own nail polish subscription box!

Good point, about making a guess.  I like several of the polish colors shown, but only one from each trio.  Oh, how I wish there was a build-your-own nail polish subscription box!
There is the Lacquer Cabinet sub from Tini Beauty. While not quite, build your own, it does show you in advance the colors for the month, and you get empty polish bottles to mix your own colors. Could be a fun alternative!

https://www.makeuptalk.com/t/141206/lacquer-cabinet-by-tini-beauty

i really didn't feel like any of those colors said "june" more like august or september.  i'm still undecided.

this is my first month with square hue.. I've been skipping julep and got an email for a free box (just pay shipping) for square hue and thought i'd give it a try! do they usually send you a shipping notice or does the box just show up?

Quote: Originally Posted by kira685 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
  this is my first month with square hue.. I've been skipping julep and got an email for a free box (just pay shipping) for square hue and thought i'd give it a try! do they usually send you a shipping notice or does the box just show up?
Welcome! They do send a shipping notice and boxes should be shipped tomorrow! 

Quote: Originally Posted by KatieS131 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Welcome! They do send a shipping notice and boxes should be shipped tomorrow! 

thank you! i keep checking instagram for spoiler pics in hopes that someone may have already gotten their box.. so excited =)

thank you! i keep checking instagram for spoiler pics in hopes that someone may have already gotten their box.. so excited =)
The timeline around here usually goes like this: Someone here gets tracking, they post about that, and a day or two later, box pictures start showing up. I don't even bother checking Instagram until multiple MUT-ers have had tracking for a day or two!

Quote: Originally Posted by meaganola /img/forum/go_quote.gif

The timeline around here usually goes like this: Someone here gets tracking, they post about that, and a day or two later, box pictures start showing up. I don't even bother checking Instagram until multiple MUT-ers have had tracking for a day or two! makes sense =) on last month's tread, it seemed like boxes started shipping on the last Friday of the month and people received them starting Monday so I wasn't sure if that was the norm or it just worked out like that for Feb since it was a short month. I take the train to work, so I usually have time to check for sub spoilers quite a few times in the morning and evening haha

makes sense =) on last month's tread, it seemed like boxes started shipping on the last Friday of the month and people received them starting Monday so I wasn't sure if that was the norm or it just worked out like that for Feb since it was a short month. I take the train to work, so I usually have time to check for sub spoilers quite a few times in the morning and evening haha
It just worked out that way. That Friday happened to be the last day of the month. They run very much to the calendar. None of this third-full-week-of-the-month or by the tenth stuff other subs follow. Unless there's a holiday involved, tracking starts going out on the last day of the month, and packages hit USPS on the first, pretty much every single month. ETA: And pretty much exactly on schedule, I just got tracking!

Quote: Originally Posted by meaganola /img/forum/go_quote.gif

makes sense =) on last month's tread, it seemed like boxes started shipping on the last Friday of the month and people received them starting Monday so I wasn't sure if that was the norm or it just worked out like that for Feb since it was a short month. I take the train to work, so I usually have time to check for sub spoilers quite a few times in the morning and evening haha

It just worked out that way. That Friday happened to be the last day of the month. They run very much to the calendar. None of this third-full-week-of-the-month or by the tenth stuff other subs follow. Unless there's a holiday involved, tracking starts going out on the last day of the month, and packages hit USPS on the first, pretty much every single month.

ETA: And pretty much exactly on schedule, I just got tracking! me too! i rushed over to share haha

Latest posts

Back