Is coastal scents and BH cosmetics safe?

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hey guys! I just found this web site and i believe it's perfect to ask my question. I study chemestry and I hope i can work in cosmetics area when I graduate. Ok, since you know that I can go on.

This month I was going to make a big purchase of a chinese website, I was going to buy the eyeshadow palletes as coastal scents and bh cosmetic makes. So since I want to follow the cosmetics area I started to think and search and I found out that the make up i was going to buy is not original. And it makes sense since this site(as ebay) there is no reguamentation like FDA so no one knows whats in these products. So it's not safe to buy. The solution would be to buy from the original companies, even if i have to pay more. So again, I was going to make a purchase at coastal scents of the eyeshadow palletes that I always wanted (88, 120 colors). But i went to search and I found a lot of complains about coastal scents, and people saying these are the SAME chinese fake palletes but with their logo. Some people said it's original but they make in china following the USA rules. All I saw was make up blogs saying or it's the same fake or "it is so good and lasts all day" but no worrying about the safety. I really wanna buy these palletes but I won't put my health in risk, so i'm here to ask the true because google didn't help me giiving those blogs. 

I'm sorry if there is grammar mistake, i don't speak fluent english. And I'm not buying any palette that is fake. No problem being made in China if follow the safety rules, but i won't buy something i don't know where comes from. And I mentioned BH cosmetics because they sell the palletes too so I wanna know. So, from what you know, are they safe? Thanks.

It's extremely unsafe to buy any cosmetics products from resellers such as Ebay or Amazon Marketplace. I personally would not do it, but it is up to each individual whether they trust the seller or not.

Although I have not personally purchased cosmetics from either BH or Coastal Scents, I have never heard of their products having dangerous components. Again, it is a matter of personal choice, although if it came down to buying a BH or Coastal Scents palette vs. a reseller's palette I'd buy from the brand any day.

I haven't tried costal scents, but do have brushes and a palette from BH and my eyes haven't fallen out or anything. No issues at all.

I personally don't use either brand, but I'm picky about my makeup and don't use products made in China/PRC/Tiawan, and so forth. I don't recall anyone complaining about either company. They haven't had issues like BaB.

I personally don't use either brand, but I'm picky about my makeup and don't use products made in China/PRC/Tiawan, and so forth. I don't recall anyone complaining about either company. They haven't had issues like BaB.
Not to get political... but Taiwan is very different from China. And Taiwan's FDA actually has more stringent cosmetics regulations than the US... (for example, Taiwan's lead limit is 10 ppm while in the US the limit is 10-20 ppm) (it wouldn't surprise me if Taiwan's stance on cosmetic regulation follows Japan's).

Last edited by a moderator:
I have a BH cosmetics concealer palette that I love! I don't think it's dangerous. I got it on Hautelook super cheap. 

If you have a bad feeling about, don't get it. Plain and simple. It will drive you crazy if you do. Just buy something else.. BH frequently has sales and bundles things together. Especially around a holiday. If might be worth a few extra dollars just to have that peace of mind.

(And I have never heard anything bad about either of them)

Red apple lipstick is a us based company that makes it's products in the us from us sourced ingredients. They sell very safe, high quality lipsticks and eye shadows. They have beautiful eye shadow palettes and sell individual shadows to refill a color within a palette.

Not to get political... but Taiwan is very different from China. And Taiwan's FDA actually has more stringent cosmetics regulations than the US... (for example, Taiwan's lead limit is 10 ppm while in the US the limit is 10-20 ppm) (it wouldn't surprise me if Taiwan's stance on cosmetic regulation follows Japan's).
I fully understand where you're coming from, and your absolutely right. I've had two bad experiences with products made in Taiwan, so I'm just a tad put off...both products were from the same company, so it might have just been a simple over site, or whatnot. That being said, I've never had a problem or reaction with cosmetics from China, but I choose not to use them...it's all personal preference. :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

i have regulalry used both bh and coastal scents... never ever had a problem love the eyeshadows

Hello guys, thanks so much for answer! I already bought the palettes from coastal scents web site. I do not buy from ebay or nothing without brand. I decided to do it because all I saw was blogs saying bad things about CS but i did not found nothing cientific. I asked about BH just for curiosity, didn't see anything bad about them and I want to buy too. If I can, when it arrives I will try to analyse it but i don't know if it's possible since i'm only a studant. But thanks so much for your help and I will keep doind the research so if anyone has something else to say i would love the help so much. If you wanna read about it just google coastal scents + china. 

Thanks guys. I read about a lot of people who didn't and none who did. But my concearn is that we will have problems in the future because of the toxics products in it (that i don't know if there is)

I have several eyeshadow palettes from Coastal Scents and a couple concealer palettes that I used almost daily and have never had any problems at all :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />  I love the colors and the prices are hard to beat :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Likely no long term safety studies have been done, there's really no way of knowing based on lack of reactions in the short term. But with all makeup, regardless of government approvals for safety, most chemicals and products are acceptable until proven guilty. If you are worried about lead contamination there are products that can test for them. For the more complex preservatives and what not likely there are no simple tests to run.

Some years ago I bought some e/s brushes at Coastal Scents the pink ones I like them and still use them. I also bought some samples of the micca pigments in baggies and back then I filled some 5 gr containers with a few of them but most I just kept in the bags. One fullsize I bought inoriental  beige but I have the idea it was older stock not sure. The samples once in a while I still use. 

I also bought at CS a very nice round crease  IB116 e/s brush shiny brown wood handle I think badger hair, but this sold out long ago not available. That is my favorite e/s brush.

I've bought plenty of things from BH Cosmetics and never had an issue - but like everyone else said, I wouldn't buy from eBay or a reseller... just from the retailer themselves.

I've bought from BH before and I really liked the products. As far as the pallet being "fake", they're not. It's simply a mass produced product, from China, sold to and bought buy various companies who slap their labels on it. 

Back