Counterfeit MAC makeup

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Okay so I bought this M.A.C makeup on ebay and it turns out that its made in China and is fake. I visited there website and they said it's high end quality and they use the same ingredients as M.A.C. I don't know whether I should return or keep it so I was going to ask you guys for advice. Because if they use 100% the same ingredients like they claim then it should get the same result right? Well IDK but what would you do? Here is the website to their store: http://store-ngh4v2b5.mybigcommerce.com/ and their ebay account is covetbodyjewelry 

The makeup brushes are all wrong (wrong animal hair/synthetic, wrong placement, wrong brush shape, and/or the metal part of that holds the hair is wrong).  As to makeup I generally do not buy makeup from China, especially cheap or counterfeit makeup, as you really cannot trust what they put in the ingredients.  You only have 1 face and 1 pair of eyes.  If you don't want to pay MAC prices for their products in your country then try cheaper stuff at the drugstore or wait for deals from other brands like UD, Stila, MUFE, Sephora, etc.  There are hits and misses with every brand at every price level and I would rather be safe than sorry.  (I would say wait for a MAC sale but as far as I know MAC has only ever gone on sale once during the recession in the US where they gave out 10 or 15% discounts to people.  Otherwise the only discount I ever see is free 2-day or overnight shipping).  

I'm not trying to say that all of the cheap/counterfeit makeup from China is unsafe but this is the same country where a company was able to sell rice mixed with fake plastic rice to their own consumers to save some money.  Unless the product is being overseen by a major overseas company for quality control, I would not risk it.  (i.e., not makeup but  Apple and Samsung have their phones and phone parts made in China and those factories are under strict and severe quality control)

The makeup brushes are all wrong (wrong animal hair/synthetic, wrong placement, wrong brush shape, and/or the metal part of that holds the hair is wrong).  As to makeup I generally do not buy makeup from China, especially cheap or counterfeit makeup, as you really cannot trust what they put in the ingredients.  You only have 1 face and 1 pair of eyes.  If you don't want to pay MAC prices for their products in your country then try cheaper stuff at the drugstore or wait for deals from other brands like UD, Stila, MUFE, Sephora, etc.  There are hits and misses with every brand at every price level and I would rather be safe than sorry.  (I would say wait for a MAC sale but as far as I know MAC has only ever gone on sale once during the recession in the US where they gave out 10 or 15% discounts to people.  Otherwise the only discount I ever see is free 2-day or overnight shipping).  

I'm not trying to say that all of the cheap/counterfeit makeup from China is unsafe but this is the same country where a company was able to sell rice mixed with fake plastic rice to their own consumers to save some money.  Unless the product is being overseen by a major overseas company for quality control, I would not risk it.  (i.e., not makeup but  Apple and Samsung have their phones and phone parts made in China and those factories are under strict and severe quality control)
They also noted this on their page and its for the eyeshadow. Would you still not trust it? Thanks for the assistance 

• Highly-pigmented powder. Applies evenly, blends well
 "Product is produced in china, its NOT a cheap, low quality makeup

It has been tested and retested to ensure optimum quality

All items are inspected thoroughly before packaged and delivered"

Last edited by a moderator:
They also noted this on their page and its for the eyeshadow. Would you still not trust it? Thanks for the assistance 

• Highly-pigmented powder. Applies evenly, blends well
 "Product is produced in china, its NOT a cheap, low quality makeup

It has been tested and retested to ensure optimum quality

All items are inspected thoroughly before packaged and delivered"
No I would not and I don't believe in buying counterfeit makeup.  Those are just words on a website.  I could put all sorts of words on my website.  That doesn't mean any of it is true.

I would definitely return the products if I were you. I fell into that trap a couple years ago. It isn't even close to the same quality. I bought some gel liner and a full set of brushes. The brush heads all come apart from their bases and the bristles fall out constantly. M.A.C Cosmetics are amazing, I would just fork out the extra money and go into a department store or their website. Hopefully they don't give you any fuss about returning. Hope that helped :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Okay so I bought this M.A.C makeup on ebay and it turns out that its made in China and is fake. I visited there website and they said it's high end quality and they use the same ingredients as M.A.C. I don't know whether I should return or keep it so I was going to ask you guys for advice. Because if they use 100% the same ingredients like they claim then it should get the same result right? Well IDK but what would you do? Here is the website to their store: http://store-ngh4v2b5.mybigcommerce.com/ and their ebay account is covetbodyjewelry 
Return it. Counterfeit products typically do not contain the same ingredients as the real products. Of course they'll tell you it's safe to use but the US FDA and other groups have found that many counterfeits - specifically MAC - contain things like lead and even human feces in it. Here in the Boston area there was a report on the news recently about how raids were conducted on mom and pop stores selling counterfeit perfume which contained kerosene.

Seriously. Just because they say on their website that it is safe or "made of the same ingredients" doesn't mean it is at all. Knockoff clothing is one thing but I would not put makeup or perfume on my face/body with no clue what is actually in it or if it has been inspected for quality control. And this is a huge reason why I stay away from buying makeup and perfume on ebay for the most part.

Last edited by a moderator:
Did you pay with PayPal? Counterfeit items are prohibited on ebay no matter what the seller says (e.g. Same quality, same ingredients, etc.) and how long ago did you purchase it?

You can file a claim via PayPal (go to your ebay transaction page and there is a drop down menu, you can file a claim from there) and you should be able to be fully refunded. If ebay determines that you need to return the item to the seller, they will give you a prepaid label.

I hope you get your money back.

Ditto to what everyone else is saying.  Please return the products and try to get your money back.  I personally wouldn't want to take any chances with such uncertainty of what the ingredients actually are.

Sorry to here you have been duped by these cons. I'm of the same opinion as everybody else. Definitely send it back. I wouldn't trust what they say with regards to the ingredients. You really don't know the quality of ingredients used. It could be irritating or harmful to sensitive skins. Besides you thought you ordered a MAC product and what you got was a counterfeit. Ordering from genuine suppliers is the only way to guarantee you get the genuine product.  

Back