Can anyone help me figure out what's best for me?

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hello!

I'm a new member. I;m in my early twenties, I'm mixed race. I have always had a very, very hard time figuring out makeup, hair styles, and just beauty stuff in general. Despite my mom being a former cosmetologist, that was just a job for her, she never wears makeup or does her hair, and never showed me how to do anything beauty related. I have no one to show me, teach me, or guide me. It's sad that I'm already almost in my mid-twenties and I'm still struggling.

I'm not looking to be a drop-dead gorgeous beauty queen. I just want some self-sonfidence about my looks. I don't like the feeling of lots of makeup on my face but I'd like to find like a nice foundation I can wear on a daily basis. I want to be able to "make myself up" for special occasions. Can someone help me?

I've never been able to figure out my face shape (I've put pictures into generators before only to always come back with something different each time); my face is SO DRY I moisturize a few times before I apply makeup and foudation is still messed uo because my face will still be flaky; I have trouble finding my skin tone for foundations; no matter how many "tips and tricks" I use, lipstick always looks mucky and doesn't stay on long at all; eyemakeup always makes me look demented; eye shadow ALWAYS creases and dissapates after a short amount of time despite moisturizing and foundation; and just generally makeup makes me looks like I'm a little girl playing in her mother's makeup (this might have to do with looking young....people always tell me I look like I'm 15); my hair is wavy and weird...straightening it never lasts long; it's always frizzy even if I use serums and oils and milks, etc; curling my hair always ends in disaster with either super curly shirley temple curls or a huge frizzy mess; even simple things like bobby pins always falloing out because my hair is so heavy.....etc etc etc. I could go on and on.

I'm currently using a Bare Minerals pack.....primer, foundation, veil (all of which I think are too dark); a bronzer I never use; mascara with a twisted wand (which I actually really like); 2 concealers (1 of which is okay, the other looks very cake-y even with a light layer).

I just want to know if I could private message anyone a picture of myself and you could give me some recommendations/advice? Like what you tihnk my face shape is, what I should be doing, what colors should I be concentrating on, etc?

I don't have dry flaky skin, but maybe  try a moisturizer with an SPF just before you put on your foundation, as I find them more emollient than a traditional day moisturizer. Also, with your foundation make sure you are getting a foundation intended for people with dry skin, it usually will say on the packaging. You might really like liquid foundation, because it will add moisture to your skin.

I'm told that some good techniques for application are to either use a foundation brush (paint it on with the grain of the flakes) or to stipple your foundation on- don't buff makeup into your skin because you will bring up the flakes and irritate your face. 

Ditch your bad concealer,  nobody has time to deal with terrible concealers. I work A LOT with concealers, I have a ridiculous number and have tried out a wide variety, so if you want some more specific help just let me know what you are trying to cover and your ideal price range. 

For shadows, do you use a primer? A good primer makes a world of difference when it comes to eyeshadow.  Shadows don't typically crease on me, so I am not the most experienced in that regard, but I'm sure some of the other ladies are quite savvy in that area. 

I find I have the exact same problem with lipsticks, I highly recommend lipsticks with staining properties, and also any of the two step liquid lip colors from the drugstore I think both Revlon and Maybelline do them, where you put the color on bare lips, let it dry, and then put a gloss over them. I never use the gloss, though they are very drying so make sure to put a lip balm over them. I have only managed to remove this kind of lisptick in under 12 hours once, and that was because I got so nervous I basically scraped it off with my teeth. 

I have literally no suggestions - all of your problems are opposite mine! @@vogueboy might be able to help, though!

Edit: And if anyone can help me spell.... sheesh. :rolleyes:

Last edited by a moderator:
Hello there,

Sorry about all that, I know you must be stressed out because of it. I will answer your questions but it wont be in order if that is okay. I will also recap at the end so you have a better understanding of what I have said okay?

1. Dry Skin: You need to make sure you are not using cleansers that contain 'Alcohol' in them. Alcohol dries your  skin even more. Also, stick to 'oil' cleansers instead of the common gel or cream types. Oil cleansers combat the driest of driest of skins lol :D /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

• You need to be using a moisturiser that has "humectants" in it as these attract water from the atmosphere to your skin keeping it baby soft and moisturised. Humectants include glycerin, sorbitol, propylene glycol, hexylene and butylene glycol, MP Diol, urea, alpha hydroxy acids (i.e. lactic acid) and other sugars.

• You should reduce your caffeine intake and also drink lots of water, at least 8 glasses a day.

• Try layering your moisturisers too. So start with a lightweight face oil and then add a creamy moisturiser on top of that. works every time ;) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> I promise.

• Also Exfoliate.

2. You said you find it hard to find your shade of foundation and you mentioned you are of mixed ethnicity. with these information, I will suggest you stay away from drug store foundations because those are even harder and sometimes more confusing at least most of them, Try MAC(high end), Becca Cosmetics(high end), Iman(high end), Black Opal(cheap), Sleek(cheap) and Bobbi Brown(high end).

• Also, always buy your foundations in store especially if you are still testing what you may or may not like. Take a small pocket mirror with you so once you try it, you can always go outside(make sure there is sun that day) to see how it looks on your face. Make sure it disappears into your skin. Test it on your forehead and cheeks, not the back of your hand or neck because those areas tend to be darker or lighter depending on the person.

3. If you use the tips I gave you for dry skin, your foundation will not flake again.

4. If you don't want your foundation to feel heavy, don't use a lot of it, as a little goes a long way, if you want full coverage, go for cream foundations. You can make them lightweight by adding a little moisturiser. if you want zero to light coverage, go for tinted moisturisers or just add more portions of moisturiser to a lesser portion of foundation to really thin it out.
  • Always set(after applying foundation, apply powder lightly to keep your make up in place) your foundation with a setting powder not powder foundation.

• Always use a primer before using foundation. Try primers for dry skin like moisturising primers. 

5. You said your concealer is too cakey. By this do you mean; it is too thick? or when you apply it to your face, it looks cakey 'on' your skin? or it is settling into your under eye lines and causing wrinkle lines? if it is too thick, thin it with a little moisturiser or buy a lighter one. If it is settling under your eyes, always blot with tissues and remember to set it with powder as soon as you have applied and blended.

6. To prevent your eye shadow from creasing and dissipating, you need to use an eye shadow or eyelid primer before applying eye shadow. Also it might be the brand or type of eye shadow you are buying. Before buying eye shadow, always check it on your thumb, rub it between your fingers to see how much colour it has, if it tends to be chalky or blends too quickly into nothing, do not buy it.

7. To prevent the mucky lipstick look, always blot your lips after applying lipstick to remove excess, and try blending it with a lip brush instead of just rubbing it on. also, fill in your lips with a lip liner first before applying the lipstick, this helps it last way longer.

8. I am not a Hair expert but what I know that has been the best advice in the world, is to go to a good salon and speak to a hair stylist. Just lay all your complaints and troubles, and I promise you, they will make everything better. Tell them to give you a style that suits you and that you can always keep up with at home with no hassle. Try Mizani. They know how to work with ethnic hair the best. Use their store locator to find one in your area.

Now to recap, like I promised;
1. Alcohol is the enemy. Oil cleaners are your bffs. Say no to caffeine, yes to humectants, water, and remember to layer your moisturisers. Exfoliation is bliss.

2. Never buy foundation for the first time online. Always see how it looks in daylight and test it on your forehead and cheeks, not neck or back of hand.

3. As I said, if you use the tips above, the flaking will stop.

4. Thin your foundations with moisturisers to make them lighter. Say yes to setting powder, no to powder foundation and use moisturising primers.

5. Thin out your concealer or change it, blot with tissue and set with powder for under eye.

6. Eye primer is your saviour. Trust me, it works magic ;) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />.

7. Fill in Lips with Lip liner and use a Lip brush to blend.

8. A trip to the salon is a woman's gateway to happiness :D /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

I really hope this helps, but if it doesn't , don't hesitate to let me know how else I can be of help.

All the best,
Stacey:)

Last edited by a moderator:
Back