Dry Skin Patches & Flakes

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Here it is again! Every winter! I get these little dry flaky patches on one side of my lower cheek. I refuse to use eczema cream this time especially after reading all these cancer horror stories about eczema creams.

When the weather was mild, I didn't have it. These past few days its been cold...and I use moisturizer...

Do I have to go BACK to the derm. again???:icon_roll *sigh* what to do....what to do....

Hey thanks for the suggestions ladies - its so annoying to try and put makeup on in the morning and see my skin like this. bleck!

On the inexpensive side, Curel Ultra Healing 24-Hour Moisture lotion is great for dry patches and is safe for facial skin. I've used it on my face with no breakouts. Try doing a spot application to get those patches under control. :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Thanks - I'll try the inexpensive route first, then if that doesn't work, go the other way. I have an arsenal of lotions, moisturizers, makeup and whatnot at home, so I might as well try the drugstore first.

***writing these all down***

I second the Aloe Vera...I used Organic Aloe Vera gel on the sides of my nose where I get a little flaky.

Works well for me...

DHC makes a great skin formula for getting rid of those dry spots and patches, I need it every winter: Renewing AHA Cream. It's 10% concentrated lactic acid--and the AHA speeds exfoliation really well in this particular product--FAST. (I don't know if this is the one Naturally is talking about, because I don't think it has Ceramide,but there are obviously more than one great formulas in this skin care line--it's wonderful. I'm sure Naturally can tell you more than I can--can only recommend this product highly.)

I use Dermarest lotion for Eczema. It works just as well as a corticosteriod (sp?) but it's OTC.

I also use eucerin cream and this one is the best I have found till now :icon_wink

OTC stands for over the counter. Meaning you can buy it at ay drugstore without a prescription.

Which Eucerin cream is it? I've tried Eucerin's extra protective moisture lotion w/ spf 30 (because I'm using the Retina-A gel) and it did nothing for me. Only the Kinerase lotion seems to help and I have a drawer full of creams/lotions that don't. I can't use anything with mineral oil, it just makes me breakout horribly. If only the flakes would go away.

Are you guys talking about the calming cream by Eucerin? It says it can be used for Excema. I have this, it doesnt work that well for me b/c it is so greasy and just comes right off and doesnt absorb. If I have really bad dry patches I put Neutrogena hand cream on it, it works like magic. It is heavy duty, and it goes in, but you can only use it at night if you are going to put it on your face. Sometimes my skin is so dry and irritated it turns red and lotions burn. What I use now is Gold Bond Ultimate Healing for my body and if my face is extremely dry, at night I use Mary Kay Extra Emollient Night Cream (this is very heavy duty, I dont break out ever anyways so I dont have probs with that). My mom gave me the Mary Kay that she had bought, or I never would have discovered it, she never used it, and it doesnt burn, man I love this stuff.

Ok, I'm going to buy the Eucerin cream today. I tried exfoliating this weekend but it made my cheek even worse plus w/ some small breakouts.

I need a good OTC FACIAL cream for dry patches and eczema - hopefully the Eucerin will work, if not, I'll just use it on my feet.

I bought the Calming Creme today and I just put it on my face. I'll review it after I try it a few more times. I was a little apprehensive about putting it on my face because the tube says for body but what the heck....Worse that can happen is my face gets greasy.

let's hope it works!:icon_chee

So last night after I took a shower I put this cream on my face. On the tube it says its for hands and body but since its unscented and its recommended for dry, flaky and eczema prone skin, I figured what the hell.

It was a little on the greasy side but after a while it absorbed and this morning when I woke up and took a shower and sat down at my makeup desk to get ready, I carefully inspected my face and there was no dryness.

So...........let's hope this works out. I'm a little concerned that this cream might be too heavy for my face & cause breakouts. But if that happens, I'll just stop using it.

what i had problem with was exfoliants being to abraisive, and not getting all of the dry skin off. what worked for me was a cucumber peeling mask, so i didnt have to worry about missing spots then aveeno's calming creme to make my face not so red. but for anyone with really dry skin that doesnt mind a really good exfoliant i used to drink a cup of hot green tea in the mornings, rinse the tea bag, rip it open and rub the leaves on my face. thats was the best i have ever used to this day. and the cheapest.

Back