-->

Welcome Guest to MakeupTalk

Welcome to MakeupTalk, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be apart of MakeupTalk by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others in our MakeupTalk Forums
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get notification & email updates
  • Get your personal profile page and make new friends in our Community
  • Submit your reviews about Makeup Products and get feedback from other users
  • Send personal messages to other members

Sponsor

Recent Images In This Topic/Thread

No Images in this topic

Sponsors

Become a Forum Sponsor!
Photo

Grocery store oils for skin care?

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#Post 1 of 9 OFFLINE   jen19

jen19

Devotee

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 288 posts
  • Joined 06-March 06
Reviews

Posted 18 March 2006 - 02:07 PM

Lately I've been seeing Grapeseed and Almond oils in my grocery store, I've read they are great ingredients in skin care products. Would the grocery store stuff, with a label that says it's %100, be ok to use on the face and body? I've been using grocery store olive oil for a while now with no problems and it seems that buying the oils this way is MUCH cheaper!

#Post 2 of 9 OFFLINE   speerrituall1

speerrituall1

Aficionado

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,793 posts
  • Joined 08-April 05
Reviews

Posted 18 March 2006 - 02:15 PM

Yes, it's O K! The cosmetics companies simply blend a concoction, with ADDITITIVES, slap on their label and sell the blend to you. By purchasing this way, you know that you have the pure item and it's much cheaper!:clap :clap
Live, Love, Laugh!

#Post 3 of 9 OFFLINE   peekaboo

peekaboo

Aficionado

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,723 posts
  • Joined 16-May 05
Reviews

Posted 18 March 2006 - 02:19 PM

I think that it is a great idea. The grocery store has so many finds such as oils, baking soda and ACV(apple cider vinegar) at a reasonable price!
The present moment is a powerful goddess-Goethe

#Post 4 of 9 OFFLINE   dolphin_gal

dolphin_gal

Novice

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 146 posts
  • Joined 18-February 06
Reviews

Posted 18 March 2006 - 02:26 PM

Somewhere on the net I read that castor oil should be cold-pressed, ie processed without high heat, which destroys some properties that could be the beneficial ones you're looking for. It also mentioned that cold-pressed (for castor oil) is only available in Health Food stores. For EVOO, they do sell the cold-pressed type in a regular grocery store. I'm not sure about any of the other oils though. Hopefully others here can shed light on specifics. Kathy
Kathy: 59 and going strong, normal skin, no allergies - just too much 'aging' - lol

#Post 5 of 9 OFFLINE   smilingface

smilingface

Devotee

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 256 posts
  • Joined 11-June 05
Reviews

Posted 18 March 2006 - 09:07 PM

I too have also heard about the cold pressed. I use evoo to take off my sunscreen before I cleanse and I always make sure it says cold pressed on the label. I get my evoo at the supermarket.

#Post 6 of 9 OFFLINE   Min

Min

Aficionado

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,390 posts
  • Joined 05-October 05
Reviews

Posted 19 March 2006 - 10:46 AM

All my oils are from the grocery store except the Avocado & Apricot oils ( I had to get them at the HFS) I say go for it its the same thing.

#Post 7 of 9 OFFLINE   kaeisme

kaeisme

Compulsive

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,467 posts
  • Joined 04-November 05
Reviews

Posted 19 March 2006 - 12:52 PM

Yup...I would vote yes if they are no additives in them.
Kae
1/2 Native American / light skin/ green eyes/ black hair/dry sensitive skin
Made With Intent

#Post 8 of 9 OFFLINE   jen19

jen19

Devotee

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 288 posts
  • Joined 06-March 06
Reviews

Posted 19 March 2006 - 03:10 PM

Well, I have the cold pressed xtra virgin olive oil, I've been using that as both a makeup remover and a mask for a while and love it. I have heard grapeseed oil is full of antioxidants, the bottle at the grocery says %100 but it doesn't say cold-pressed anywhere on it. Almond oil is about $6.00 for a 13oz bottle- I've paid twice that for the same amount at a health food store for one that says it's for skin and hair care. I guess I'll just buy the grapeseed oil- it can't hurt me. also, I remember also reading about Walnut oil for the skin- any one else heard of that one?

#Post 9 of 9 OFFLINE   Min

Min

Aficionado

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,390 posts
  • Joined 05-October 05
Reviews

Posted 19 March 2006 - 05:00 PM

Non of mine say cold pressed but that doesn't necessarily mean they weren't. I use them anyway with the same benefits.