-->

Welcome to MakeupTalk

Sign In  Log in with Facebook

Create Account
Welcome to MakeupTalk, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be apart of MakeupTalk by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Sponsor

Recent Images In This Topic/Thread

No Images in this topic

Sponsors

Become a Forum Sponsor!
Photo

Grocery store oils for skin care?

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#Post 1 of 9 OFFLINE   jen19

jen19

Devotee

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 288 posts
  • Joined 06-March 06
Reviews

Posted 18 March 2006 - 02:07 PM

Lately I've been seeing Grapeseed and Almond oils in my grocery store, I've read they are great ingredients in skin care products. Would the grocery store stuff, with a label that says it's %100, be ok to use on the face and body? I've been using grocery store olive oil for a while now with no problems and it seems that buying the oils this way is MUCH cheaper!

#Post 2 of 9 OFFLINE   speerrituall1

speerrituall1

Aficionado

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,793 posts
  • Joined 08-April 05
Reviews

Posted 18 March 2006 - 02:15 PM

Yes, it's O K! The cosmetics companies simply blend a concoction, with ADDITITIVES, slap on their label and sell the blend to you. By purchasing this way, you know that you have the pure item and it's much cheaper!:clap :clap
Live, Love, Laugh!

#Post 3 of 9 OFFLINE   peekaboo

peekaboo

Aficionado

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,723 posts
  • Joined 16-May 05
Reviews

Posted 18 March 2006 - 02:19 PM

I think that it is a great idea. The grocery store has so many finds such as oils, baking soda and ACV(apple cider vinegar) at a reasonable price!
The present moment is a powerful goddess-Goethe

#Post 4 of 9 OFFLINE   dolphin_gal

dolphin_gal

Novice

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 146 posts
  • Joined 18-February 06
Reviews

Posted 18 March 2006 - 02:26 PM

Somewhere on the net I read that castor oil should be cold-pressed, ie processed without high heat, which destroys some properties that could be the beneficial ones you're looking for. It also mentioned that cold-pressed (for castor oil) is only available in Health Food stores. For EVOO, they do sell the cold-pressed type in a regular grocery store. I'm not sure about any of the other oils though. Hopefully others here can shed light on specifics. Kathy
Kathy: 59 and going strong, normal skin, no allergies - just too much 'aging' - lol

#Post 5 of 9 OFFLINE   smilingface

smilingface

Devotee

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 256 posts
  • Joined 11-June 05
Reviews

Posted 18 March 2006 - 09:07 PM

I too have also heard about the cold pressed. I use evoo to take off my sunscreen before I cleanse and I always make sure it says cold pressed on the label. I get my evoo at the supermarket.

#Post 6 of 9 OFFLINE   Min

Min

Aficionado

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,390 posts
  • Joined 05-October 05
Reviews

Posted 19 March 2006 - 10:46 AM

All my oils are from the grocery store except the Avocado & Apricot oils ( I had to get them at the HFS) I say go for it its the same thing.

#Post 7 of 9 OFFLINE   kaeisme

kaeisme

Compulsive

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,467 posts
  • Joined 04-November 05
Reviews

Posted 19 March 2006 - 12:52 PM

Yup...I would vote yes if they are no additives in them.
Kae
1/2 Native American / light skin/ green eyes/ black hair/dry sensitive skin
Made With Intent

#Post 8 of 9 OFFLINE   jen19

jen19

Devotee

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 288 posts
  • Joined 06-March 06
Reviews

Posted 19 March 2006 - 03:10 PM

Well, I have the cold pressed xtra virgin olive oil, I've been using that as both a makeup remover and a mask for a while and love it. I have heard grapeseed oil is full of antioxidants, the bottle at the grocery says %100 but it doesn't say cold-pressed anywhere on it. Almond oil is about $6.00 for a 13oz bottle- I've paid twice that for the same amount at a health food store for one that says it's for skin and hair care. I guess I'll just buy the grapeseed oil- it can't hurt me. also, I remember also reading about Walnut oil for the skin- any one else heard of that one?

#Post 9 of 9 OFFLINE   Min

Min

Aficionado

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,390 posts
  • Joined 05-October 05
Reviews

Posted 19 March 2006 - 05:00 PM

Non of mine say cold pressed but that doesn't necessarily mean they weren't. I use them anyway with the same benefits.