Missed period question!!!

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
So - I have a question. The last time I had a period was in the middle of June. And not that I miss it, but I wanna know why I haven't had a period yet!

As far as I can remember, I've NEVER missed a period.

I'm DEFINTLY NOT PREGNANT. If I was, I'd have to name him Jesus the 2nd. LoL

Not to mention I'm losing weight, not gaining it
smile.gif

Could my increased workout (I work out practically everyday) and my decrease in caloric intake be the cause?

What are other causes to miss periods?

Losing weight can affect your cycle. Normally it takes a drastic weight loss though. Were you a regular, set your calendar to the day, type of girl before?

Anxiety, Vigorous exercise, Emotional distress, Endocrine disorders (thyroid, pituitary), and some meds can cause it.

I personally like to cook ovarian cysts and have missed many a period only to have a payback from hell later.

So there are a lot of possibilities sweetie. Don't go changing your name to Mary anytime soon.

Yeah, I was pretty regular before! And I have recently lost 20 pounds so, I'm gonna guess it's that!

Originally Posted by oobladi Losing weight can affect your cycle. Normally it takes a drastic weight loss though. Were you a regular, set your calendar to the day, type of girl before?
Anxiety, Vigorous exercise, Emotional distress, Endocrine disorders (thyroid, pituitary), and some meds can cause it.

I personally like to cook ovarian cysts and have missed many a period only to have a payback from hell later.

So there are a lot of possibilities sweetie. Don't go changing your name to Mary anytime soon.

That definitely could be it. Here's a bit of advice don't donate blood after losing a lot of weight.
scared.gif
Found that one out the hard way. It was neither fun or pretty.

Congrats on the weight loss!

Congrats on the weight loss. Any change in weight or even stress can affect your cycle. Are you under any more stress than usual? Any changes in medication or diet? I wouldn't worry, yet, but if you don't have a period this month, I would make a doctors appt.

Losing weight can affect your cycle, as well as stress can. I'd go with the weight loss since I personally think you're about as stress-free as I wish I could be! Unless you're stressing over school starting back up? Be careful though, I'm like Gwena and have had a missed period cause all chaos on me later!

Well, if you haven't missed a period before and are now missing several (not since the middle of June would mean about 2 - 3 cycles) then it's something you should definitely have checked out. If it was one, I would say a change in diet/weight...but 2-3 is definitely not normal and should be checked.

Also, if you are losing weight by severely restricting your caloric intake, then this is a sign that you are starving your body...severely. Your hormonal/mineral/vitamin level can be severely compromised which can cause a lot of problems down the line. I would strongly, strongly advise you to make an appointment to have a physical exam and a blood draw to check your hormonal/mineral/vitamin levels. Everything. If it's nothing more than stress, then as soon as you are not stressed, it'll come...but if it's anything else, you need to get it taken care of asap.

Actually if her last cycle was the middle of June she missed July and is closely approaching missing August. That makes one period missed so far.

Ashley listen to your body if you do miss your next period definitely do what VenusGoddess suggests. That and you better be eating enough calories!

I'm not severly restricting my caloric intake, but I've dropped it drastically from what I used to eat - hence why I'm overweight LoL. I try to eat atleast 1800 calories a day, which is what is needed for weight loss + exercise. That's down from like, the 3000 calorie diet I used to have!

Originally Posted by VenusGoddess Well, if you haven't missed a period before and are now missing several (not since the middle of June would mean about 2 - 3 cycles) then it's something you should definitely have checked out. If it was one, I would say a change in diet/weight...but 2-3 is definitely not normal and should be checked.
Also, if you are losing weight by severely restricting your caloric intake, then this is a sign that you are starving your body...severely. Your hormonal/mineral/vitamin level can be severely compromised which can cause a lot of problems down the line. I would strongly, strongly advise you to make an appointment to have a physical exam and a blood draw to check your hormonal/mineral/vitamin levels. Everything. If it's nothing more than stress, then as soon as you are not stressed, it'll come...but if it's anything else, you need to get it taken care of asap.

Right, exactly, I've only missed one period. I generally start around the 12 of the month, so there is still a few days left before I should start again.

Originally Posted by oobladi Actually if her last cycle was the middle of June she missed July and is closely approaching missing August. That makes one period missed so far. Um... what kind of chaos do we mean? LoL that worries me slightly.

Originally Posted by Aquilah Losing weight can affect your cycle, as well as stress can. I'd go with the weight loss since I personally think you're about as stress-free as I wish I could be! Unless you're stressing over school starting back up? Be careful though, I'm like Gwena and have had a missed period cause all chaos on me later!

My gyno said there are 4 main reasons why a girl's cycle can be irregular: weight gain, weight loss, sudden or significant increase in exercise, and stress. (For an extreme example, some marathon runners go months without a period!)

I know when I started college, I lost 10 lbs in one semester (I had unknowingly developed allergies, which made my body burn every calorie it could to fight the allergies), and when I was only 105 lbs and 5'5" to start with that was quite a lot! And my normally regular period was pretty irregular for about 6 months while I lost all that weight! (I slowly lost a few more pounds during later semesters but I guess since it was a slow loss, my period went back to normal.)

A few years later when I finally figured out I had allergies and started taking allergy medication, I quickly gained back all the weight I'd lost (and then some, lol), I initially gained 10 lbs in 10 weeks
icon_eek.gif
, then a few more pounds over the next several months, and again my period was pretty irregular while I gained weight!

Fortunately both of those times I was still a virgin so there were no pregnancy scares, I was just annoyed that I couldn't predict my period anymore!

And finally, last December when I was very stressed out from graduation from grad school and starting a new job, I was 2 weeks late. But since I was married by that point, I took 2 pregnancy tests before my period finally started! lol

Originally Posted by oobladi Actually if her last cycle was the middle of June she missed July and is closely approaching missing August. That makes one period missed so far. Yikes! You're right! I miscalculated...I'm planning my daughter's birthday (mid-September) and was thinking it was already September.
eusa_whistle.gif

definitely the weight loss and exercise regimen.

Originally Posted by oobladi That definitely could be it. Here's a bit of advice don't donate blood after losing a lot of weight.
scared.gif
Found that one out the hard way. It was neither fun or pretty.
Congrats on the weight loss!

what happened?

Originally Posted by VenusGoddess Yikes! You're right! I miscalculated...I'm planning my daughter's birthday (mid-September) and was thinking it was already September.
eusa_whistle.gif
Awww your just ready to celebrate. My youngest has a birthday in October and she asks every single day if it's her birthday yet.
scared.gif

Originally Posted by pinkbundles definitely the weight loss and exercise regimen.

what happened?

Well I was smart and kept myself hydrated and ate lunch. I didn't eat anything to heavy and I didn't just piece either. I had donated four times before and never had a problem but I had always donated on the air conditioned bus. This time it was in the college gymnasium. I finished donating and walked to sit at the table for my snacks. I started feeling icky so I let them know and then next thing I knew I was on my back on the floor. I had passed out fell backwards and was caught by some very quick moving nurses. I threw up after I came back to. (yucky!) and they got me to a stretcher to relax in front of a fan with some bottled water. Well pretty soon I had to go potty so they had a nurse go with me. I passed out yet again in the bathroom stall and the nurse had to climb under to catch me. My husband had to drive out to the college to bring me home because they wouldn't let me drive myself home. That was in April of this year and it took months before I felt back to normal. It wasn't a pleasant experience but I choose to laugh about it. It's not like everyone I go to college with saw me fall out and barf. There's a lady that works in the bookstore with me and I'll go to leave for class and she'll ask me if I'm going off to donate blood.
laughing.gif

It could most likely be, as the other ladies said, that you are losing weight. Your cycle is trying to restabilize itself, because now that you have shed some of yourself, it is a whole new body to accomodate now. You could see the gyno if you are worried about it, but he/she will probably tell you the same thing that everybody is saying here.

Most definately losing weight and changes your making to your body will cause a missed period.

Keep yourself very hydrated and eat that's for sure.

I told her that's what it was - she didn't believe her lil' sister...thanks for unconsciously having my back ladies haha!

Originally Posted by PinkRibbons So - I have a question. The last time I had a period was in the middle of June. And not that I miss it, but I wanna know why I haven't had a period yet!
As far as I can remember, I've NEVER missed a period.

I'm DEFINTLY NOT PREGNANT. If I was, I'd have to name him Jesus the 2nd. LoL

Not to mention I'm losing weight, not gaining it
smile.gif

Could my increased workout (I work out practically everyday) and my decrease in caloric intake be the cause?

What are other causes to miss periods?

It sounds like you have secondary amenorrhea. Weight loss/strenuous exercise is certainly a possible cause, but if you don't get your period soon, I would make an appointment to see your doc so you can have this sorted out. (PM me if you need more info
smile.gif
)

Originally Posted by PinkRibbons Yeah, I was pretty regular before! And I have recently lost 20 pounds so, I'm gonna guess it's that! It could be the weight loss Ash, but honestly, don't just assume it is the weight loss. If I were you, I would see a doc if you dont get your period this month. Several things need to be ruled out before one can blame weight loss on your amenorrhea, including the most common cause of amenorrhea, prolactinomas. I dont mean to scare you LOL But I just wanted to let you know that other things should be ruled out first.

Back