Microdermabrasion or Glycolic Acid??!

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Do either of these help oily skin? Which one would help the little bumps on my face more? I do not know a thing about the two. I've looked at different threads, but they don't seem to be helping much. I wanted to start out with something I could get at the drugstore - just to see if there's any difference before I go for something more expensive. Any recommendations? Thanks girls!

i'm pretty sure both r good for oily skin and bumps. i would make an appointment with a dermatologist to find out

It sounds kind of like milia. I'd definitely make an appointment with a dermatologist. Differin Gel may help.

I don't know if it's like this everywhere, but where I live it takes like months to get in with a good dermatologist. I was kinda hoping for a quick fix - at least in the meantime until I could get an appt.

I see more results from microdermabrasion, at least with the home kit I'm using which is Epidermx. It'll definitely improve oily skin and the little bumps on your face.

I've used both on my oily skin. Not at the same time of course! I prefer the microdermabrasion because it feels exfoliating, while glycolic acid just sort of feels like tingly goop on my face. My complexion is much more clear.

I use microderm and its great but glycolic acid has been what has totally cleared up my acne on my chest, back , and face!! I love it!!

I've never used a glycolic acid, but I do use microdermabrasion. I can't say if it helps with the oils, but I do have smoother skin when I use it.

the at home kits are nothing in comparison to the real thing. have have tried at home microderm kits and have had real microdermabrasion, and the real thing is much more effective. actually neutrogena's microderm kit totally broke out my face badly, and i rarely get breakouts.

the drugstore glycolic kits are only 10% i think while a real professional strength one is 30-40%. if some of you notice better results from at home microderm, you need to try a real professional strength peel! don't waste the 80 dollars to go to an aesthetician. go on the internet and buy a professional strength peel! there are threads about glycolic acid that give good links to reputable places.

last time i went to get microdermabrasion from an aesthetician, i asked her what the difference was between the two, and she said that microdermabrasion polishes off the dead skin cells on your skin and refines the skin, but a glycolic peel will actually reconfigure the structure of your skin and stimulate collagen growth. so it basically tricks your skin into growing back like young skin. i swear by glycolic. i do a peel every one or two weeks, and it controls oil and makes your pores almost invisible.

http://www.skinrxclinic.com/

http://www.makeupartistschoice.com/productmenu.htm

http://www.dianayvonne.com/

i've bought 30% peels from the 1st link, but want to try the diana yvonne combo glycolic and lactic peels. I've heard good things. Doing a professional peel a week will do wonders for your skin! and it is cheap and a little goes a long way! hope this helps.

What do I do start off with the lowest percentage and work my way up? I don't want to like mess up my face. Sigh...maybe I should wait months to get in with a derm.

Maybe you could check with the derm first about the little bumps that you have on your face. I have folliculitis and this results into little bumps that are not zits but destroys the texture of my forehead. My derm said to use Head and Shoulders on my forehead, and hey, it cleared it up. If you want to to minimize the size of your pores, I'd definitely recommend microdermabrasion. Lots of people here in my country go to the derm for that and my sister's friend's face looked porcelain. Glycolic acid is good for getting rid of scars or hyperpigmentation because it works like a bleach. Microdermabrasion can also address that problem because it strips the top layer of your skin from your face to bring out the new layer. Hope I helped!
biggrin.gif
I going to the derm next week to get glycolic acid for my acne scars...

Thanks for all the input everyone! I think I'll try the micro first. Does a derm have to do it or is it okay to go to a spa? Cause the place where I get my hair done does it.

Back