Mac vs smashbox quality

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I picked up some mac eye shadow the other day for the first time. Is it just me, or is it made cheaper? The box is standard glossy paper, with the plastic flip container containing the eyeshadow. Smashbox however used a thicker and textured paper box. The shadow container is plastic but had a different texture almost a rubbery grip to it, and clicks shut when it the lid is screwed on. Not to mention the shadow has a textured pattern on the top. While I realize this may not be an indicator of product quality, it seems to me MAC is cutting corners.

So, being new to makeup, which one is the more quality product?

I like both, Smashbox uses a satin black finish with their packaging. To me, they are kind of the same in quality, although I do have a lot more Smashbox mu than MAC.

Sorry colormeup, I'm tired. I completely read your description wrong. LOL I thought you were saying that the MAC eyeshadow had a textured top on the eyeshadow itself. I was going to ask you if you were sure if it was real. I'm losing my mind. LMAO

I must admit that my experience with MAC makeup is extremely limited, but I have a number of eyeshadows and lipsticks/glosses from smashbox that I love. Everything has a great texture and pigmentation, and I think the black finish on the eyeshadows is very classy. It's easier for me to get smashbox as well, so I'm fine sticking with that.

Hi,

I buy pro palette e/s pans from MAC. I'd say for the last couple of years their packaging of them has been this way. As long as Carbon e/s keeps its intensity, I'm just fine with the packaging.

You're right about Smashbox. Their e/s, cream e/l and brow set comes in a rubber type case.

I adore the Smashbox packaging, it's incredibly functional. The rubberised containers are easy to grip for opening / closing, and the screw tops make sure that they close completely airtight. Not so important for powders perhaps, but essential for moister products -- by the way, I'd seriously recommend their Transparencies cream blush, so easy to wear and so blendable.

the quality is pretty equal to mac imo, even though i sold all my smashbox e/s a while back (and didnt regret it later) so i guess i prefer mac still, but i DO love the black rubbery texture of the cases!!! just like nars it gives the product a more sophisticated higher quality to it in a way!!! MAC still rules!!!:rockwoot:

I never used smashbox before, but i will let you know when i do. I m going to NY in a few days and buy it. Are there original smashbox stores in NY???

I love them both but I think MAC is better as it is less expensive and have a far wider range of colours.

Go to Sephora, they should sell the whole line there. Enjoy your trip.

Latest posts

Back