-->

Welcome to MakeupTalk

Sign In  Log in with Facebook

Create Account
Welcome to MakeupTalk, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be apart of MakeupTalk by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Sponsor

Memebox

Recent Images In This Topic/Thread

No Images in this topic
Photo

Hi gang! Any mica-sentitives here?

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#Post 1 of 9 OFFLINE   horsienut

horsienut

Novice

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 67 posts
  • Joined 14-March 08
Reviews

Posted 14 March 2008 - 12:36 PM

Hi everyone, I just registered!
My name is Linda and I an mica sentitive . It took me at least 15 years to figure out why my eyelids would often become red and swollen, after trying mineral makeup (which I thought would solve my prob) I discovered the mica in makeup (especially eyeshadow) had been causing my problems. I have been using mica-free eyeshadow (Cory and Raesin Images) ever since with no eye problems . I swithced to mica-free mineral foundation as well, although I seem to be able to tolerate some mica on my face, I figure I'm better off avoiding it alltogether.

I am bummed that more companies do not offer products without mica. I have been limited to basically the two companies listed above, neither of which has been *completely* satisfactory, but I don't have too many alternatives, especially for eyeshadow.

Just wondering if there is anyone else on the board that is sensitive to mica - what products do you use, and have you had good luck with them.

Look forward to chatting with you all!
  • mollyglamstarr likes this

#Post 2 of 9 OFFLINE   easterdawn

easterdawn

Novice

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 83 posts
  • Joined 27-August 07
Reviews

Posted 14 March 2008 - 07:49 PM

Illuminare, www.illuminarecosmetics.com(a different company entirely than Lumiere, they sometimes get confused) appears to have mica free AllDay eye colors. They are in a tube and very thick, kind of tricky to apply but once you get the technique down this stuff won't budge!!! Their foundations also appear to be mica free.

#Post 3 of 9 OFFLINE   cosmeticsaficionado

cosmeticsaficionado

Beauty Blogger

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,855 posts
  • Joined 28-February 08
Reviews

Posted 14 March 2008 - 07:56 PM

I'm not mica sensitive, but wanted to say welcome! I am pretty new here too.
Cosmetics Aficionado - BlogFacebookTwitterInstagram

#Post 4 of 9 OFFLINE   Bee Luscious

Bee Luscious

Devotee

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 204 posts
  • Joined 06-November 07
Reviews

Posted 14 March 2008 - 08:00 PM

Are you positive it is the mica? or could it be the bismuth?

I have heard of much sensitivity and allergic reactions to the bismuth but never heard anything in regards to the mica.

#Post 5 of 9 OFFLINE   horsienut

horsienut

Novice

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 67 posts
  • Joined 14-March 08
Reviews

Posted 14 March 2008 - 08:17 PM

Originally Posted by Bee Luscious View Post
Are you positive it is the mica? or could it be the bismuth?

I have heard of much sensitivity and allergic reactions to the bismuth but never heard anything in regards to the mica.
Yes, it's definitely the mica. Bismuth in foundation makes my face itch, and I've never tried an eyeshadow with bismuth because I know it irritates my face.

Ever since my teenage years I've had problems with eyeshadow irritating my eyelids. I though it might be the bright dyes at first, but even using neutral drugstore shadows would eventually cause the same problem. In frustration I tried MMU, figuring it had no dyes or preservatives so it would help me identify the culprit. When I sampled the Monave eyeshadows (with mica and no bismuth) my eyelids swelled and turned red within a few hours. The only thing in there that I suspected was mica, so after that I tried mica-free shadows and I haven't had a problem since (almost 10 years now). In fact, just a few weeks ago I got some free shadow samples with mica in them and tried them again. Sure enough, within 1/2 hour my eyelids were swelling!

What's strange is I only have severe mica sensitivity on my eyelids - I can tolerate *some* matte face products with mica, though I try to avoid them because of my eye problem. It really stinks because I have so few choices, but thank goodness for MMU otherwise I wouldn't be able to wear eyeshadow at all!

#Post 6 of 9 OFFLINE   laurie_lu

laurie_lu

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 890 posts
  • Joined 21-June 06
Reviews

Posted 14 March 2008 - 08:26 PM

I prefer the look of a matte/mica free eyeshadow to a shimmer shadow.

#Post 7 of 9 OFFLINE   susanks1

susanks1

Aficionado

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,072 posts
  • Joined 14-January 06
Reviews

Posted 14 March 2008 - 08:51 PM

I can't wear eye shadows with mica in them either. My eyelid turns red in the crease in about 4 hours. I can wear mica on my face. I can't wear bismuth in foundation either. It makes me itch.

#Post 8 of 9 OFFLINE   paintedlayde

paintedlayde

Trainee

• Members
  • Pip
  • 11 posts
  • Joined 26-March 07
Reviews

Posted 24 March 2008 - 11:37 PM

I think you are far from the only one. Mica however is a predominant color to use in mmu as well as serecite mica which is a base for many foundations. This is probably why it's harder to find mica free colors.
Jenn

#Post 9 of 9 OFFLINE   reenee-K

reenee-K

Trainee

• Members
  • Pip
  • 42 posts
  • Joined 24-November 07
Reviews

Posted 26 March 2008 - 05:43 AM

maybe u can try making your own eyeshadows instead? You can try mixing oxides, it won't give you anything shimmery but it's mica free!