-->

Welcome to MakeupTalk

Sign In  Log in with Facebook

Create Account
Welcome to MakeupTalk, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be apart of MakeupTalk by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Sponsor

Recent Images In This Topic/Thread

No Images in this topic
Photo

Concealer - darker, lighter or the same?

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#Post 1 of 15 OFFLINE   -VC-

-VC-

Devotee

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 299 posts
  • Joined 18-July 07
Reviews

Posted 27 March 2008 - 07:10 AM

What shade do you actually need in a concealer - darker or lighter than skin/foundation? Or do you require the same shade?

I use NW20 in concealer (select moisturecover) but, usually, NW15 in foundation. I've been told not to use a lighter shade because it only emphasizes dark areas, etc. But, I've also been told not to use a darker shade, like I'm doing now.

I'm so confused lol - I would also love to know what colour to use. If salmon/pink is the best shade, why don't MAC do one?

One last thing - would I use the same shade concealer for covering my dark circles (under eyes) as I would for covering, say, a pimple or blemish?

Thanks in advance

#Post 2 of 15 OFFLINE   Aquilah

Aquilah

Obsessed

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,125 posts
  • Joined 22-February 06
Reviews

Posted 27 March 2008 - 11:18 AM

Generally concealer is lighter than foundation, and one shade lighter than your skintone. Although, some say it should be the same color as your skintone.
"This is life not heaven, you don't have to be perfect."

#Post 3 of 15 OFFLINE   Orangeeyecrayon

Orangeeyecrayon

Aficionado

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,678 posts
  • Joined 27-November 06
Reviews

Posted 27 March 2008 - 12:49 PM

I prefer doing it the same color as the skin tone but in a salmon shade.

i could not tell you why mac doesnt make one cause i really only buy mac eye shadows.

as for concealing other parts i use a diffrent concealer, cause my under eye circles come out greenish-purple so i use the red-ish concealier. where as blemishes come up red so that conceiler would ust ecenuate it. i know a lot of people say you are suposed to use the green in those cases but i just use one shade lighter than go over it with my foundation.

#Post 4 of 15 OFFLINE   bmichlig

bmichlig

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 841 posts
  • Joined 26-September 05
Reviews

Posted 27 March 2008 - 08:38 PM

For covering reddish spots, I use a concealer that matches the depth of my skin but is slightly yellower (yellow works to cancel out red, but is softer and easier to blend than a green can be).

For under my eyes, I use a concealer that is the same or just *slightly* deeper than my skintone. I'm super pale, so there really isn't anything lighter than my skin, unless i go white white, and that looks goofy. Also, my undereye are is slightly blue but paler than the rest of my face, so going a little deeper works well for me, balances that area with the rest of my face.

#Post 5 of 15 OFFLINE   CellyCell

CellyCell

Compulsive

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,099 posts
  • Joined 06-November 05
Reviews

Posted 27 March 2008 - 10:03 PM

For covering spots, I'd recommend the shade closes to your skin color.
For undereye, a shade lighter. People say a shade lighter in concealer but it always looks so odd when covering blemishes!

Beauty Blog: Makeup By Celly
Online Makeup Portfolio: Makeup By Celia

Wet N' Wild Beauty Ambassador: May 2011

#Post 6 of 15 OFFLINE   laurreenn

laurreenn

Aficionado

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,328 posts
  • Joined 18-February 08
Reviews

Posted 28 March 2008 - 12:28 AM

you're supposed to use concealer lighter than your skintone because it's supposed to balance out your dark circles. i also have concealers that are the same color. but when i use the concealer that is lighter than my skin, i always go over it with foundation.

#Post 7 of 15 OFFLINE   La_Mari

La_Mari

Aficionado

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,749 posts
  • Joined 28-February 07
Reviews

Posted 28 March 2008 - 12:54 AM

I do use a shade lighter covering a blemish, but I put loose powder over my face anyways, so I think it turns out pretty even. I don't use powder under my eyes cause it only makes it super dry and old. Just liquid concealer from L'oreal.

#Post 8 of 15 OFFLINE   CoverGirl

CoverGirl

Buff

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 694 posts
  • Joined 21-December 06
Reviews

Posted 28 March 2008 - 01:36 AM

I never use lighter b/c I just end up looking pasty. It might work if you have medium/darker skin though.

#Post 9 of 15 OFFLINE   viciousedge

viciousedge

Trainee

• Members
  • Pip
  • 14 posts
  • Joined 25-March 08
Reviews

Posted 28 March 2008 - 03:57 PM

I have to use the same color as my skin tone! They don't really make anything lighter.

#Post 10 of 15 OFFLINE   shimmerE

shimmerE

Buff

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 538 posts
  • Joined 24-January 06
Reviews

Posted 29 March 2008 - 11:17 AM

i think it is good to go a little lighter if you have to... but i like to get the same color... i use Prescriptives foundation and conceler, which match perfectly together... Px makes it so easy...
HOLLYWOOD...

#Post 11 of 15 OFFLINE   Leza1121

Leza1121

Compulsive

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,213 posts
  • Joined 11-January 06
Reviews

Posted 29 March 2008 - 11:56 AM

Hi:

My favorite concealers are by Eve Pearl (salmon based) and Kryolan's DermaColor (which is a paramedical concealor). Both of these items are kept in my pro mua kit. As mentioned earlier, the best thing to do is find one with good coverage.
You must be the change you want to see in the world. - Mahatma Ghandi

#Post 12 of 15 OFFLINE   -VC-

-VC-

Devotee

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 299 posts
  • Joined 18-July 07
Reviews

Posted 29 March 2008 - 02:44 PM

Originally Posted by Leza1121 View Post
Hi:

My favorite concealers are by Eve Pearl (salmon based) and Kryolan's DermaColor (which is a paramedical concealor). Both of these items are kept in my pro mua kit. As mentioned earlier, the best thing to do is find one with good coverage.
I think the Eve Pearl concealer is the one I've been looking for - I'm pretty sure I saw it on a YouTube video and she was explaining how green concealers don't work with 'blue' looking dark areas, etc. I don't think we can get her range here, though

Thanks to everyone for your advice

#Post 13 of 15 OFFLINE   vivian3685

vivian3685

Trainee

• Members
  • Pip
  • 31 posts
  • Joined 25-March 08
Reviews

Posted 30 March 2008 - 06:03 PM

i use little lighter tone.

#Post 14 of 15 OFFLINE   ColdDayInHell

ColdDayInHell

Aficionado

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,720 posts
  • Joined 16-February 08
Reviews

Posted 30 March 2008 - 06:42 PM

I have a 3 different colored mineral concealers, peach-colored, green and yellow, which I use for different purposes. The green one corrects the redness, the peach one is for my pigmented spots and scars and the yellow one is for the under-eye area.

#Post 15 of 15 OFFLINE   laurreenn

laurreenn

Aficionado

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,328 posts
  • Joined 18-February 08
Reviews

Posted 30 March 2008 - 06:43 PM

the three concealers ColdDayInHell referenced are my three staple concealers as well. i can't live without green concealer.