Should I try Bare Minerals?

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi everyone... I expect this to be a rather long post, so bear with me, and GOD BLESS YOU if you make it through the entire thing!

Ok, so I'm 20 years old, and I've been struggling with acne since I was about 12. For a long time it was absolutely horrible and covered my entire face, but after numerous visits to my dermatologist and 1 1/2 years on Accutane it seemed to clear up significantly. It recently started flaring up a bit, so I'm currently using a topical gel called Clindamycin (sp?) every night that seems to be helping.

I use Philosophy Purity Made Simple High Foaming Daily Cleanser as well as their Microdelivery Exfoliating Wash. Together, they seem to be working rather well, although I've recently experienced quite a few tiny bumps on my forehead (maybe I need to switch shampoos?). I'm not currently using a moisturizer, as my derm claims that I don't need one and anyone who says I do has just bought into the beauty industry's sales pitch. (Still not sure about that one... but my skin HAS been clearing up.)

I have combination skin now and some acne scaring. My skin is something that I've always been self conscious about. I've always been on the look out for something that would improve my skin's appearance.

As for makeup, I've been using Bare Minerals Mineral Veil and MAC StudioFix Powder with Benefit Erase Paste Concealer. I got a facial recently, and the woman doing it told me that the blackheads I had were caused by the makeup I'm using, which led me to consider ditching the MAC, as I've heard that lots of people have problems with it causing acne.

Thus, I've really been considering Bare Minerals. I've tried it in the past, when my acne was worse, but I don't think I ever took the time to learn how to use it correctly. I had my makeup done for homecoming or something, and I ended up buying it since I liked the way the makeup artist made me look. As I said, I really didn't take the time to learn the tap and swirl technique... and consequently I never could get it to look like I wanted it to.

I really love the Mineral Veil and use it every day, but I have some concerns about the foundation:

1. I don't have SEVERE acne scarring, but I do have some... I worry that BE may not be able to provide ample coverage... or at least not as much as my cream concealer.

2. I live in Baton Rouge, LA. If you've ever been to the "Deep South," you know that it is incredibly humid here. I'm down here for college and I walk to class, so I'm not really interested in showing up to class with my face looking super shiny/cakey.

3. As I said, I have combo skin. It can get kinda dry in the winter, and the Clindamycin (sp?) can also give me some dry patches. It's been my experience that powders tend to only enhance any dry spots, making them flakey.

4. I really don't want it to make me break out. I know it really depends on the person, but I've heard a LOT of mixed reviews about BE... it's hard to make sense of it!

OK, I think I've mentioned everything I set out to say. I would GREATLY appreciate ANY advice that you have about anything I said... whether it be the Bare Minerals... skincare... anything! Thank you in advance for your help!!

If you have sensitive or acne prone skin I strongly recommend reading your ingredient lists. I know that Bismuth Oxychloride makes me itch and all of the Bare Minerals stuff has made me break out so far. I haven't tried the matte version enough to know since that seems to be the only one without Bismuth Oxychloride.

Some brands that you might want to look at for foundations are Everyday Minerals and Earthen Glow Minerals. Both have different levels of coverage. If you are looking for good coverage I recommend Intensive formula for EDM and Cover Me for EGM.

As far as care, you should be gently cleansing (no hard scrubbing) and moisturizing. I have used Cetaphil for a few months now and it has been wonderful. Cleans very gently but doesn't make my face break out. I use Olay Complete Moisturizer. These help minimize problems and that annoying oily/dry combo that I have and it sounds like you might too.

HTH

Hi there,

EG minerals has got good skin products one of it the botanical night treatment, i have used it whenever i have breakouts on my face or forehead. Sometimes even if i dun have breakouts i used it at night after all the washing up. Its good becos it dries up the acne and even makes the face lighter.

Here in singapore the weather is really hot and humid so far the foundations that adhere well to this weather are from Fyrinnae Superpower foundations, LA minerals hollyhood base and coastal scents silk cover and silk naturals the finishing powders are great.

Even the soaps in EG minerals are great too. I used the apricot and honey cleasning lotion which is my fav and rausol clay soap is good.

Hope this helps dear.

There are so many wonderful small companies that you can buy samples from to test drive them first. Bare Minerals is not the best thing out there for you, in my opinion.

My favorite for years has been LaurEss (LaurEss Pure Mineral Makeup| Natural Mineral Cosmetics). Three formulas to choose from, but for you I would recommend Minimalist. It is the most basic as far as ingredients go and has medium coverage that can be layered over blemishes to get better coverage.

This week I have been using a new company's foundation, Sassy Minerals (Sassy Mineral Pigments | Beyond Pure Mineral Cosmetics), and it is really good too and has a lower price. I have not had any problems concealing with this foundation and it gives a nice healthy look to my skin. Not sure it will be replacing LaurEss as my HG, but as foundations go it is really good.

I cannot recommend Everyday Minerals. Lots of people like them and they are super cheap. But in my opinion the coverage is not very good, the colors are hard to figure out and the foundation just doesn't last very long on my face during the day.

It is very disturbing to hear that your derm thinks moisturizing is hype. ESPECIALLY if you have dry skin in the winter! I have been to several derms over the years and have never heard one say anything other than don't forget to moisturize! None of them were trying to sell me products either. I would be very skeptical if my derm said not to moisturize and would wonder if s/he was really going to be helping my skin in the long run. Just my 2 cents but you may want to get a second opinion.
smile.gif

Whatever you decide to go with, you will find lots of great advice on here!

Stay away from it. I had issues with the bismuth oxychloride too, as well as coverage and lasting power issues. I have a combination skin too and the mineral veil didn't provide enough oil control for me.

Also stay away from the kabuki and flat brush they give with their kit, they're so itchy you get half of the irritation from them.

Everyday minerals is a good option as it provides different textures, i love their full coverage concealer. If you are willing to go a tad more pricey, Lily Lolo's foundation rocks, as well as their silk translucent powder.

Back