Do you need an eyeshadow primer if you're using a base?

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I usually use eyeshadow primer (UDPP or Elf Mineral Eye Primer) before putting on shadows, but the times when I use a base before my shadow (whether it be a cream eyeshadow or a NYX jumbo pencil or something), I feel like I'm just wasting primer, since the shadow is sticking to the base already. Do you find it makes a difference to use a primer even with a base? Do you use one or the other, or both? Thoughts?

Thanks, hope that made sense
smile.gif

i never use both, just one or the other.

sometimes ill use some sort of nyx base when i want a really good color payoff

but most of the time i just use a primer

I use both... Especially with waxy stuff, I feel more secure that the oils from my lids aren't going to get to the waxes in my bases and cause them to break down and my shadow starts creasing. So I like the idea (or the idea that) a primer would kinda create a barrier.

it depends on if you have oily lids or not. If i am going to use something like NYX pencils i need a primer to prevent creasing where as stuff like "creme eyeshadows" i can for the most part use with out a primer since they have mattifying properties for the most part.

for me, I use one or the other because I use primer mainly to brighten and make my eyeshadow "stick" rather than to prevent creasing. But if you're prone to creasing or have oily lids i'd use the primer always or a base that works as a primer as well.

I normally just use a primer but if i want a color to stand out then i would use a base.

if i'm using a base, i don't use primer generally. my lids aren't crazy oily so i can sorta get away with it. but if i'm going out for longer or doing a full day of makeup to take me into the evening then i sometimes use a primer just to make sure it lasts.

I use both, first primer then base. I have to because my skin is so oily but it varies from person to person depending on their skin type.

I tend to use both, my lids are oily and the pencils are creamy products that technically can crease. So to be on the safe side, i still apply UDPP.

I use both. Some people kinda toss the terms around interchangeably they're not. I use a primer because I have oily lids and the primers prevent creasing and increase longevity and staying power in your eye shadow. I use a neutral base to either neutralize my lid for a softer look or I use a colored base to make the eye shadows POP!

Back