How do I exfoliate if I have acne?

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I like how my skin feels and looks when it's been exfoliated (I have a microdermabrasion exfoliater), but I can do this so seldom because I almost always have a breakout somewhere & I don't want to make it worse.

What can I do?

What areas of your face need the most exfoliation, and what areas typically break-out the most?

I don't know, I feel like my whole face needs exfoliating. The problem with my face is that my acne is pretty bad, to the point where it depresses me. It's all over my face, not just in one location (seriously - I break out on my cheeks, forehead, chin, jaw...everywhere). Thankfully it's not on my neck. I used to have great skin in high school, but ever since the summer before college started a few years ago, my acne has flared up and not gone away at all.

I wouldn't call it severe acne, but it is bad. My entire face is red and I'm never without a breakout, & I'm terrified that I'll have a ton of scarring if and when it finally clears up.

Originally Posted by StakeEdward /img/forum/go_quote.gif I don't know, I feel like my whole face needs exfoliating. The problem with my face is that my acne is pretty bad, to the point where it depresses me. It's all over my face, not just in one location (seriously - I break out on my cheeks, forehead, chin, jaw...everywhere). Thankfully it's not on my neck. I used to have great skin in high school, but ever since the summer before college started a few years ago, my acne has flared up and not gone away at all.
I wouldn't call it severe acne, but it is bad. My entire face is red and I'm never without a breakout, & I'm terrified that I'll have a ton of scarring if and when it finally clears up.

Firstly, have you seen a dermatologist? Your acne could be the result of a change within your body. A dermatologist can prescribe antibiotics and other meds that may be very beneficial to help your skin from the inside out. If you're afraid of scarring, seeing a dermatoligist will be very beneficial in helping you before you reach that point.
Don't feel down, there's still a lot you can do for your skin. There are plenty of skincare products out there, it's a matter of finding the right one, and deciding if you may need professional treatment
smile.gif

Some people can exfoliate everyday or every other day, while some people can only exfoliate twice a week - it really depends on the person and the conditions their skin calls for. I have sensitive skin and i'm still able to exfoliate everyday. I can get away with this because i'm very quick and gentle when exfoliating. It's all about knowing your skin and what products work best for you.You could start your Microdelivery every other day, and if that's too harsh, then you could try twice a week. It may take experimentation to see what your skin likes and doesn't like, but even with acne, you should be able to exfoliate here and there.

I break-out on my chin, jaw and sometimes my forehead from time to time (I used to break out really bad, but switching to all-natural skincare products gave my skin a serious makeover) and i'm still able to exfoliate daily.

I use a facial buff, and use it along with my all-natural cleanser to exfoliate my face. From experience, exfoliating washes and scrubs were too harsh on my face and inflammed my acne (I have inflammatory acne anyways, so anymore inflammation is is a no-go). Using a facial buff gives me more control when i'm exfoliating and also gives the same effect as an exfoliant without the irritation (because I use the buff with just my cleanser). If all else fails, you could give a facial buff a try and see if it works for you.

Have you tried moisturizers with AHAs? The Activation Gel in the set you use has lactic acid in it which is most likely attributing to that smooth feeling you're liking so much. Lactic Acid is one of a few naturally occuring Alpha Hydroxy Acids which encourage skin cell turn-over (causes your skin to shed dead cells resulting in smoother skin).

I use a product by Kiss My Face called Peaches 'n' Creme Ultra Moisturizer at night time, when I want to have really smooth skin the next day. It contains 4% AHA from fruits and is very gentle but effective. You can use it in the daytime also I just personally don't use it in the day as it doesn't wear well under my makeup. I actually wrote a review on it if you'd like to know more about it.

I can't say i'm familiar with Philosophy Microdelivery. If it works for you, then by all means, continue using it, but if you're finding that it's drying your skin out, causing excessive redness, or making your acne worse, then i'd stop using it and experiment with other products.

Rather than using an exfoliant that scrubs the surface of your skin (ouch!), you might want to consider a chemical exfoliant like an AHA or a BHA.

Oily skin fairs better with a BHA (salicylic acid).

The problem with clothes or buffs is that they are notorious for collecting bacteria after the first time they are used. More bacteria is the last thing anyone with acne needs.

The chemical exfoliants are in lotion form. You would apply one after you cleanse, then apply a topical acne cream afterwards.

Your local drug store should have something - check Neutrogena products or ask the pharmacist what they stock.

Originally Posted by Dragonfly /img/forum/go_quote.gif Rather than using an exfoliant that scrubs the surface of your skin (ouch!), you might want to consider a chemical exfoliant like an AHA or a BHA.
Oily skin fairs better with a BHA (salicylic acid).

The problem with clothes or buffs is that they are notorious for collecting bacteria after the first time they are used. More bacteria is the last thing anyone with acne needs.

The chemical exfoliants are in lotion form. You would apply one after you cleanse, then apply a topical acne cream afterwards.

Your local drug store should have something - check Neutrogena products or ask the pharmacist what they stock.

It all depends on what steps of maintenance you take to keep your skin safe. I always wash my facial buff with an anti-bacterial soap after i'm done using it so i've never had a problem.
As with any reusuable item, good hygiene is important.

constant exfoliation can make your inflammation worse, see a dermatologist or use chemical peeling instead.

The problem with my skin is that it's also very sensitive. It hasn't done well in the past with salicylic acid - it typically makes things worse.
frown.gif

I have seen a dermatologist in the past, but it was for other skin problems (not my face). I could ask my parents about seeing one - I'm still under their insurance - but I can be somewhat distrustful of doctors, etc. Has anyone ever had a bad experience with a dermatologist?

What's to be distrustful about?

The Dr will recommend a cleanser, toner, acne medication, moisturizer and sunscreen. And they will also give you morning and evening routines that will be easy to follow.

Ask the Dr about exfoliants - maybe you shouldn't even use one if you have concerns.

Stick to the routine and you will see results in a couple of months.

I think that people don't like Derms because they expect the treatment to work overnight. Give it time and your skin will look better.

To answer the original question, I think a chemical exfoliant may be your best option, like an AHA or BHA as previously mentioned.

I really don't think your should be exfoliating with scrubs...this will only aggravate your acne more.

Did u ever try proactiv? that did miracles for me!

U should go by a dermatologist though. And since u are still insured u really have no excuses!!

Get moving! lol

Originally Posted by StakeEdward /img/forum/go_quote.gif I don't know, I feel like my whole face needs exfoliating. The problem with my face is that my acne is pretty bad, to the point where it depresses me. It's all over my face, not just in one location (seriously - I break out on my cheeks, forehead, chin, jaw...everywhere). Thankfully it's not on my neck. I used to have great skin in high school, but ever since the summer before college started a few years ago, my acne has flared up and not gone away at all.

This sounds just as if my brother wrote it!
frown.gif
I'm so sorry for your skin problems but there is a way to make it better, you just need patience because no change will be visible over night.

It's interesting that your skin was flawless in high school, and now, many years later it actually seems like you're perhaps in puberty, but obviously you're not.

I'm not sure that any kind of products will help you permanently because I'm quite sure your problem lies inside your body, if you understand what I mean. You should really check all your hormones and likely make a huge change when it comes to your nutrition. Please consult your doctor about this because that kind of problems in your age isn't something that should just happen like that. Beside nutrition and hormones, you should also consider stress as a factor that's contributing to all this, and stuff like that.

Of course, you'll need skin care products, but until you solve some things first, I'm not really sure any of them will help you the way you want.
sadno.gif

Back