I cannot get on with mineral makeup !

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I have older skin and I find that this stuff just gets stuck in my pores and  I dont have many wrinkles but this emphasises the ones that I do have !

Am I going wrong some where ?

Try using a primer to smooth your face, i find MAC's prep+prime works well with my mineral foundation. You can also try spraying your brush so that your foundation is applied wet and has a creamier appearance.

My personal experience is that MMU is unsuitable for dry skin :S, I always have to moisturize a lot.

There was a thread below discussing suitable brands for dry skin but I have not tried those. I think Lucy Minerals was considered to be very creamy.

Yes, some brands, and some finishes will suit you better, if you have dry skin, i've experienced moisturizer+primer is key to make sure your makeup will last and it won't dry out your skin. I could suggest cory minerals, they make various finishes.

Definitely moisturize then apply primer.  I use that old standby - Monistat anti chafing gel.  It works well, it makes all flaking disappear.  I also mist my brush with rosewater to make my brush slightly damp before apply the MMU.  This trick works great. 

Rosewater is a lovely,old fashioned thing to use.I think that I will get some.I must try some primer if I pinch my daughters mineral makeup again!!

Just came back from huge christmas shopping trip girls,and treated myself to a couple of lovely things to make me feel good at christmas.....As I mentioned my once oily skin is dry now so bought a lovely Clinique liquid illuminator in bronze to cheer up any pale wintry tones.Not a new product but a big favourite !! 

Ever tried ??

I agree. You need to moisturize ALOT with mineral makeup and I spritz after so it looks dewy. Rose water is really nice.

Originally Posted by FranFran /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Rosewater is a lovely,old fashioned thing to use.I think that I will get some.I must try some primer if I pinch my daughters mineral makeup again!!

Just came back from huge christmas shopping trip girls,and treated myself to a couple of lovely things to make me feel good at christmas.....As I mentioned my once oily skin is dry now so bought a lovely Clinique liquid illuminator in bronze to cheer up any pale wintry tones.Not a new product but a big favourite !! 

Ever tried ??
I'm not a fan of anything Clinique.  You should try sweet almond oil for your dry skin.  It works great.  If you try the Oil Cleansing Method, it should even out your oily turned dry skin.  I used to have oily and sometimes dry tight skin but my skin has since normalized with my 70% jojoba/30% castor oil mixture.

Good advice.

Originally Posted by magosienne /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Try using a primer to smooth your face, i find MAC's prep+prime works well with my mineral foundation. You can also try spraying your brush so that your foundation is applied wet and has a creamier appearance.

I have "older skin," too, and I think maybe a lot of the ones that you buy are not made right for that. They seem more like frosted eyeshadow.

I've started making it myself and it isn't hard at all. I mean, I have a lot to learn, but just right away you can make something for yourself that will work way better than anything you can buy.

To make eyeshadow that isn't sparkly, what I do is put in silk mica with the pigment and the other stuff, and then just add a teeny bit of colored mica that has a low sheen, and see how that looks, then maybe add another teeny bit - or not, depending on how "low sheen" it really is on your skin.

That way you can get exactly the right amount to make a softer, pearly effect that won't be so sparkly that it magnifies every pore and imperfection when the light hits it.

It's a lot of trial and error, but you can get exactly what you want for way less $. I'm still kind of in shock at how much less. :eek: /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Wow !! I am impressed by this, makes me want to make my own home brew !!

I dont always like eye-shadow on my eyes now that I have slightly crepy eyelids,what I tend to do is add a little cream blush to my eyes and just highlight under my brows.

I did experiment with mineral eye shadow and Benefits smokey eyes kit at christmas for a party and really carried off the smoldering smokey look !

For daywear I am a little disappointed with my eyeshadow. 
icon_cry.gif

I have tried a lot of different mineral foundations in order to find the one that did not make me look like an old wrinkly prune. You may like Lucy Minerals or Joppa Simple Radiance, I think both of them sell samples to try.

Thanks for the suggestion, i just ordered a bunch of samples from Lucy Minerals, i'll see how it goes but seeing her pictures made me want to try her foundation. What a difference before and after !

It's really just personal preference for choosing between a powder mineral makeup, and a liquid mineral foundation. I like the powder for light dusting, and getting that pretty golden glow. If you have oily skin, the powder foundation might just be the right mix for you. But I prefer the liquid for everyday use because it adds that special moisture to my skin, heightening the glow, it is longer lasting too.

dermalogica uk

Originally Posted by FranFran /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I have older skin and I find that this stuff just gets stuck in my pores and  I dont have many wrinkles but this emphasises the ones that I do have !

Am I going wrong some where ?

This is definitely not at all unusual. I've always taken pride in the fact that I look much younger than my age, but I tried powder mineral makeup and suddenly fine lines showed up that I didn't know I had! The only wrinkles I thought I had were two on my forehead (I have a bad habit of raising my eyebrows a lot. If I had beaucoup bucks I'd get botox to break me of the habit.) I now avoid putting any kind of powder under my eyes including mineral makeup. I should give liquid mineral makeup a shot. Funny thing is, I don't have dry skin, I have super oily skin. It's probably the biggest reason why I look young for my age.

I really tried to love the mineral foundation, revlon, jane, loreal, but it all gets cakey lookin towards the end of my days. Even with a primer. I gave up and switched back to liquid.

moisturizing is essential! then get a good primer. i use mark Primed for Perfection Face Primer. it's $10 and rivals the higher end ones (all of which i tried and would wind up not working with the exception of Arbonne..however money then became a factor)my mmu lasts all day even through a workout and I'm sooo happy.

http://creedy.mymarkstore.com

use code:WELCOME to get free shipping with your first order.

oh and the brand of mmu i use is by buff'd cosmetics. really creamy foundations and excellent blushes and eye colors.

http://www.buffd.com

Back