Foundation- Oily Skin

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
i've been in need of a new foundation but i have really oily skin.

i've thought about revlon's photoready but i've also read reviews that it's not good for everyday use which is what i need it for.

any suggestions?

Have you tried using primer or an HD powder?   HD powder is made up of silica microspheres that absorb oils.  I have a really oily T-zone and find that my Maybelline mineral makeup works great when used with a primer and hd powder.  I do have to do another dusting of hd powder if I'm outside all day in the heat.  Revlon also makes a colorstay foundation for oily skin I believe.

My skin is MUCH more oily in warmer weather, whereas in winter it is flat out flaky dry. As soon as the temps start going up, I switch foundations. I use mineral powder foundation almost everyday when my skin is very oily. It seems to absorb the oil as well as keep me from getting shiny. I also don't break out from it either.

A good oil absorbing primer is good too. Cosmedicine's "Medi-Matte" works great but it is very pricey. I find it is worth it though. One tube lasts a VERY long time, so when you break it out, its about the same as other high-end primers.

I have an extremely oily T-zone, and the only foundation to not disappear on my face during the day is Estee Lauder Doublewear.

Revlon Colorstay and MAC Studio Fix Fluid are supposed to be long-wearing as well, but I haven´t tried Colorstay. And it´s been ages since I used Studio Fix Fluid so I can´t even remember, but I think I didn´t quite like the finish.

In terms of powder foundations, Makeup Forever´s Duo mat is supposed to be awesome for oily skin. I definitely have it on my to-buy list!

awsome! thanks guys, i'll look into the mineral foundations since they seem to work well with oily skin as well as using a good primer. Sephora, Smashbox and Palladio are all ones im going to try as primers.

I have really oily skin too. I use Smashbox's Photo Finish Light for Primer, Bare Minerals Natural (the Matte makes me break out) foundation, and Origins Concealer. Bare Minerals is great because it provides just enough coverage for me without looking too cakey.

Originally Posted by missalove07 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

i've been in need of a new foundation but i have really oily skin.

i've thought about revlon's photoready but i've also read reviews that it's not good for everyday use which is what i need it for.

any suggestions?

I have really oily skin too. I would use a primer that is oil-free like Benefit's PORE-fessional. Lancome Tient Idole Fresh Wear might be good for you cause it's Shine free for 18 hours or Tient Idole Ultra by Lancome. Just if I were you powder after foundation and use a make-up setting spray. That might work for you. It works for me, but what works for one person might be different for another person. Just saying.

hmm yeah i saw smashbox's primer and i'll give it a try but i also saw revlon's colorstay mineral mousse foundation that looks like it would work as well :eek: /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Originally Posted by Aishu /img/forum/go_quote.gif

What kind of coverage do you need? I also suggest Revlon Colorstay.

i just need enough to cover parts around my nose and under the eye and it needs to be good for everyday use since i go to school and want a bit of coverage and yeah i was looking into revlon's colorstay. have you used it?

Originally Posted by missalove07 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

i just need enough to cover parts around my nose and under the eye and it needs to be good for everyday use since i go to school and want a bit of coverage and yeah i was looking into revlon's colorstay. have you used it?

You might just need light-medium coverage (maybe Covergirl NatureLuxe?), but if you want full coverage for those areas, Revlon CS is the way to go. I haven't used it myself (yet, I'm getting it in a little while), but I DO have quite flawed skin, and I've seen it be used on people who also have less than perfect skin and it works wonders.

Do a semi-matte tinted moisturizer for casualer things, then a very good primer for your skin (I have no reccomendations, and mineral makeup or foundation+HD powder on a makeup-y day. Just my opinion on  the how- Not recommending brands, everyone else beat me to it ;) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

I have extremely oily skin especially on my nose the best combo for me is cleanse skin in morning, no moisturiser apply loreal studio secrets primer the little pot works amazing to mattify skin! I then use Chanel Mat Lumiere foundation, Mac studio finish concealer, and Chanel translucent loose powder to set. Make up shoudnt move all day maybe a few touch ups on my annoying shiny nose so I carry a pressed power for that. Another great foundation is Estee lauder doublewear but I find it slightly heavy, doublewear light is a great alternative. Give those a try and see what you think Ive suffered with oily skin for like forever and im always looking for new products to matt shine. Hopefully it keeps me looking young lol. good luck :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

If you do think about trying a mineral foundation, I strongly suggest getting some samples... and a great company to do that with is L.A. Minerals. You can find them online at laminerals.com  You can get several different samples to try to find the right shade and they also have three different formulas--a light coverage, a medium coverage, and a heavier coverage which is great for people with breakouts as it is easier to hid acne as well as treat it at the same time.

They have a great online store and extremely reasonable prices. I've been using their foundation, blush and some eyeshadows now for several years and am EXTREMELY happy. My daughter is 16 and has acne breakouts and loves it as well. Even if you have a dry spot during the winter months, it's easy to blend in with a moisturizers to get a tinted coverage for those areas. 

Good luck, and let me know if you decide to give them a try!

Back