Bad Beauty Advice

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
What's the worst beauty advice you've every received??

A few weeks ago I was at a Clinique counter where my friend was getting colored matched.  My friend told the beauty adviser that she used sponges to put on her makeup.  The adviser immediately started trying to sell brushes to my friend saying how bad sponges were and foundation brushes are better.  I mentioned to my friend that you should wash your foundation brush after every use and the beauty adviser said that Clinique brushes were antibacterial and you only had to wash them once a month.  Ewe.  Can you imagine the buildup that would happen?

This same lady told my friend that it was ok to sleep with her foundation on because Clinique foundations are good for your skin, so it's actually good to sleep with them on. 

They told me that my Sephora brushes didn't need to be cleaned because they were antibacterial... sorry I don't buy it! And yuck to sleeping with makeup on!

Quote:

Originally Posted by xjackie83 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

What's the worst beauty advice you've every received??

A few weeks ago I was at a Clinique counter where my friend was getting colored matched.  My friend told the beauty adviser that she used sponges to put on her makeup.  The adviser immediately started trying to sell brushes to my friend saying how bad sponges were and foundation brushes are better.  I mentioned to my friend that you should wash your foundation brush after every use and the beauty adviser said that Clinique brushes were antibacterial and you only had to wash them once a month.  Ewe.  Can you imagine the buildup that would happen?

This same lady told my friend that it was ok to sleep with her foundation on because Clinique foundations are good for your skin, so it's actually good to sleep with them on. 
Lol, wow, sure sounds like someone was trying to make a sale!  

Haha. I was checking out from a Clinique counter once, and the lady gave me a free sample jar of hydrating gel moisturizing cream stuff. She told me that it could be applied OVER your finished makeup. Umm, I don't really want to absorb all of my foundation/powder/blush/etc into my skin, but thanks for the tip.

Worst beauty advice usually revolves around my hair for me. Everyone seems to think scrunching and diffusers are good for my hair. Growl
icon_evil.gif

People who tend to give curly hair advice do not have curly hair. At best they have wavy hair, and lets face it, YES there's a big difference between wavy hair and curly hair. Even a wide spectrum for degree of curliness.

For my hair, you scrunch .... you frizz

You diffuse..... you frizz... you poof.

All i can say is NO NO NO. and for the love of God stop using fine toothed combs on people with curly hair ... darn stylists.
3.gif

I have to mentally work myself up to go into a salon to get my hair done. It's murder for me. Luckily i dont get split ends very bad so I only do a major trim like twice a year. I do my own touch ups when needed.

Lol, if you think curly hair advice is bad, advice for fine hair is no better !

Each time i go the the hairstylist, the same procedure happens.

Two volumising shampoos (build up at the roots under 24 hours !), rich, heavy treatment for my lengths ( sigh...), then heat protectant, blowdrying (they always have to be really harsh and pull on my roots, ouch!), then the ever-so-heavy but still used hairspray.

The next day i have to wash my hair because it is and looks so greasy it's impossible to remain one more minute like this.

The last time i went to the hairdresser when i told her i used oil as hair treatment, she told me it was a huge no, then she sells me the Kerastase new fantastic hair oil. Ok, why not try it. She uses it as heat protectant, i have my doubts but whatever. But then she applies a ton (hello, fine hair...), and the best part of it was when i read the bottle and realised it contained the same oil i use on my hair. LOL !

I did buy the second product used on my hair lengths, which my mom now uses, and then she asked me feedback because the hairdresser, despite having longer hair than mine, hadn't try it. With her poor knowledge of the main line sold in her salon, i would have punched her.

I have noticed split ends so i have to book a hair maintenance, but i'm already wondering what other crap i can expect from the hair salon.

Originally Posted by GirlyEnthusiast /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Haha. I was checking out from a Clinique counter once, and the lady gave me a free sample jar of hydrating gel moisturizing cream stuff. She told me that it could be applied OVER your finished makeup. Umm, I don't really want to absorb all of my foundation/powder/blush/etc into my skin, but thanks for the tip.

Hahha whaaaat! Yeah just put all your makeup on and then rub this all over it! That always pisses me off when I'm reading beauty magazines and they're talking about reapplying sunscreen eighty-bajillion times a day, and I'm like helloooo I have MAKEUP on!!

When someone tells me "Oh our eyeshadows don't need primer".. Everytime I use them.. they crease right up and come right off..

I just have super oily lids that no one realizes
sadno.gif

I cant say I ever really got bad beauty advice.  People have challenged and made comments - some of which I've tried and some of which I ignore - but I'm always willing to try something new so I usually just chalk it up to experience.

Now - that Clinique lady - totally sales whore.

Pumping your Mascara.  One of my pet peeves. You BETTER not do it to MY bottle!  You push in air and bacteria into the bottle! so gross!

"wiggling" you mascara wand when applying to lashes! At first I thought it was a very good advice but every time I tried it, I ended up with 5 giant eyelashes! LOL!

It may not be 'bad' beauty advice per se...but I get alot of, 'why do you have so much makeup?  You don't need ANY makeup!"  "Those things are sooooooo bad for your skin, you should stop wearing it."  "Those things clog your pores so badly, I dunno how you can wear that everyday" . I get alot of this from men, and ALOT from women as well.  Many of them say, 'oh your face looks so nice, but you really don't need all that stuff'  HELLO!!!  My face won't look as great without it!  What you'd get is a greasy, pimpled face that needs to be given some life after my long night and short sleep... I usually smile and walk off. 
icon_frown.gif

Originally Posted by Annelle /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Pumping your Mascara.  One of my pet peeves. You BETTER not do it to MY bottle!  You push in air and bacteria into the bottle! so gross!
I got the same advice about pumping mascara and after following this tip I throw my mascara out soon because it was dried.

It is better to twirling the brush in the tube instead of pumping air into the mascara.

Originally Posted by ls820 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

using concealer on my lips... they became sooooo chapped!

If the aim of this advice was to achieve long-lasting effect of the lipstick then the better tips is to blot your lips after applying the first coat of the lipstick. Then re-apply lipstick again. This absorbs the oil and leaves the pigment.
smile.gif

Originally Posted by MakeupCritic /img/forum/go_quote.gifI got the same advice about pumping mascara and after following this tip I throw my mascara out soon because it was dried.

It is better to twirling the brush in the tube instead of pumping air into the mascara.
I've honestly found that as long as the mascara tube isn't dried out, just simply pulling out the wand will have enough product on it for both eyes.  So...I've never needed to actually do any extra steps to get more product on the wand.

Originally Posted by Annelle /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I've honestly found that as long as the mascara tube isn't dried out, just simply pulling out the wand will have enough product on it for both eyes.  So...I've never needed to actually do any extra steps to get more product on the wand.
I use sanitizer wipe to clean mascara wand quite often, maybe that's is the reason why sometimes don't get enough mascara by pulling out the wand once

Angels...i've had alot of problems with my curly/frizzy hair too. and to be honest the best product i found for laying down the frizz and bringing out the curls is a John Freida  product from walmart. It's the straightening spray of all things, but i love it because it really lays down the frizz without weighing it down. i don't even wash my hair everyday, just wet in the shower, and then reapply the straightening spray daily and it never builds up! best product for curly hair ever, and i never used to like anything out there for curls.

darn i tried to find a picture of the product for you and it's called Straight Answer Straightening spray but it's discontinued. the site is recommending Heat Defeat Protective styling spray as a backup, so maybe i will try that. i'm hoping i can find some more straightening spray on amazon or something though :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Bad beauty advice: Put a dab of toothpaste on a pimple to make it go away.

It does work but the problem is most people leave it on too long and it dries out the skin. What's worse is that they think any toothpaste will work when the old toothpaste trick was based on the old fashion white toothpaste not the new gels or peroxide ones.

Bad beauty advice: Preparation H helps with puffiness under the eyes.

It use to and it use to help with fine lines however the product was reformulated and the Bio-dyne ingredient was removed. The Canadian formula still contains it but not the US so the US version does nothing.

Bad beauty advice: Take specially formulated vitamins and your hair/nails will grow faster, thicker and stronger.

WRONG! Yes the vitamins will help make the hair and nails grow stronger but it won't make it grow faster or thicker. Hair has growth cycles and during the warm seasons it grows faster than in the cold ones. The thickness of your hair is already pre-determined by how many roots you have and that was determined at birth. You can damage the roots which can cause hair loss but you can't create new roots for new hair. PLUS many of those so-called hair/skin/nails vitamins contain an overdose of vitamins and minerals - I've seen some with over 2000% of the recommended daily value. Take one pill a day for seven days and you've essentially had over 140000% more than you needed! Too much certain minerals, such as Iron, can lead to other health problems such as liver and kidney damage. Take a generic one-a-day after consulting with your doctor.

Bad beauty advice: Using _____ product on your hair will get rid of split ends.

Once you've developed split ends the only thing you can do is get the ends trimmed. Nothing can repair, mend, or heal it. Hair is dead the second it's pushed out of the root. You need to take care of it from the get go to prevent split ends.

Bad beauty advice: Waxing will cause your skin to sag.

I wrote my rant on this after a celebrity makeup artist was quoted saying it causes skin to sag. No it doesn't. Yes the skin around the eyes is thin and delicate but the skin on your brow bone is thicker and won't sag from waxing. Neither will your facial hair, leg, arm, body or hooch areas sag from waxing.

Originally Posted by Its Only Nicole /img/forum/go_quote.gif

When someone tells me "Oh our eyeshadows don't need primer".. Everytime I use them.. they crease right up and come right off..

I just have super oily lids that no one realizes
sadno.gif

Me too! I don't think people understand that lids can be oily haha

Back