Bad Beauty Advice

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Originally Posted by aliana /img/forum/go_quote.gif

"wiggling" you mascara wand when applying to lashes! At first I thought it was a very good advice but every time I tried it, I ended up with 5 giant eyelashes! LOL!

Really?  If I dont wiggle... they stick together!

Originally Posted by Its Only Nicole /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Are your lashes thin? Mine are thin and sparse so just gently combing mascara wand through them works best for me.

Here's some bad advice that I just saw this morning on Facebook.

Fix a broken nail

Don't you hate it when you get a deep tear in just one nail? We've got an easy D.I.Y. trick to repair your cracked nail—with a tea bag and super glue!
I cringed when I read that. Superglue is TOXIC and is not to be used on skin or on the nails. I replied to that entry that exact thing and was told this by the same person:

This is a trick used by many salons but you should always be careful.
In my state it's against the law to use ANY toxic products on a customer and the salon can not only lose their license but the owner and stylists can be heavily fined. On top of that they risk losing their own cosmetology or nail tech licenses. What IS used in salons are a nail glue not superglue.

Originally Posted by ls820 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

using concealer on my lips... they became sooooo chapped!
A lot of the time the reason for applying concealer to your lips is to get the true color of the lip product.  I use Laura Geller's Lip Spackle.  It does the same thing as applying concealer to your lips, but it's not drying.  It's great and works like a charm!

Originally Posted by aliana /img/forum/go_quote.gif

"wiggling" you mascara wand when applying to lashes! At first I thought it was a very good advice but every time I tried it, I ended up with 5 giant eyelashes! LOL!
I've always wiggled my mascara wand. I have long thick eye lashes and I don't end up with a clumpy mess.  I've watched numerous tutorials where the person wiggles their wand as well.  I've also heard tons of gurus recommend it, too.  I think that in your case, it probably doesn't work well, having thin, sparse lashes.

I don't know if this is really bad beauty advice, but it certainly falls under the category of confusing!

When I was a teen, E*V*E*R*Y*O*N*E* told me not to pop a pimple. It would scar, it would cause more, it would get infected, etc.

NOW.... NOW.... they actually sell a TOOL--like a freaking Sears Craftsman tool --so you can pop your pimples at home all by yourself when you're bored out of your tree.  You have the blackhead side and the whitehead side so ooooh baby, we can pop 'em all.

You know... what the heck is up with THAT???

Originally Posted by SassyAuburn /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I don't know if this is really bad beauty advice, but it certainly falls under the category of confusing!

When I was a teen, E*V*E*R*Y*O*N*E* told me not to pop a pimple. It would scar, it would cause more, it would get infected, etc.

NOW.... NOW.... they actually sell a TOOL--like a freaking Sears Craftsman tool --so you can pop your pimples at home all by yourself when you're bored out of your tree.  You have the blackhead side and the whitehead side so ooooh baby, we can pop 'em all.

You know... what the heck is up with THAT???
That tool has been around for ages. You can use it, along with a lance, to get rid of a white or blackhead. The reason you're told not to pop it is because most people will transfer germs from their fingernails/fingers to their face which in turn would cause an infection OR tear off the skin, which can lead to scaring. The tool is to be disinfected before and after each use, on each zit. Since it's a sterile item - if properly disinfected - it won't harm your skin. Do not press down hard with it, lance (the diabetic lances work great) on anything that has pus but make sure that the face is clean and the area disinfected first AND that a warm wash cloth has been used to open the pores up before using the tool. Like I mentioned, clean the tool in between each zit by having a little dish with rubbing alcohol available to dip the tool in.

I have the Clinique foundation brush and I faintly remember the lady telling me the same thing, about the bacteria..lol! Worst advice for me would be someone at the counter recommending me skin bleaching cream for my freckles...I wasn't even there asking anything about that...I want more freckles not less!

Originally Posted by Its Only Nicole /img/forum/go_quote.gif

me too. It depends on the brush but for my UD big fatty mascara, wiggling is the best method (for me atleast). Maybelline's volume mascara ( yellow tube) wiggling throws too much product on. UD is a thicker mascara so wiggling is the best way to get it onto the lashes.

Originally Posted by zadidoll /img/forum/go_quote.gif

That tool has been around for ages. You can use it, along with a lance, to get rid of a white or blackhead. The reason you're told not to pop it is because most people will transfer germs from their fingernails/fingers to their face which in turn would cause an infection OR tear off the skin, which can lead to scaring. The tool is to be disinfected before and after each use, on each zit. Since it's a sterile item - if properly disinfected - it won't harm your skin. Do not press down hard with it, lance (the diabetic lances work great) on anything that has pus but make sure that the face is clean and the area disinfected first AND that a warm wash cloth has been used to open the pores up before using the tool. Like I mentioned, clean the tool in between each zit by having a little dish with rubbing alcohol available to dip the tool in.

I used to destroy my face growing up. What teen really doesn't mess with blemishes on their face.... it's a given. But even now i've figured out the difference between ones that can be succefully removed without much damage and ones that are better left alone.  I have never used lancets. Or that tool.

but one thing i always try to do is wash my face well after i extract. To rinse the open spot and to keep other stuff from migrating into it. Steaming with a warm damp cloth first it great too.

The most ridiculous one I have heard ever: throw your mascara and eye liners away every 3 to 6 months. I have NEVER thrown either away unless they are complete rubbish and have NEVER had an eye infection in my life. Likewise any other makeup I have had, except old liquid foundation which had really separated and didn''t smell right. That I got rid of. I'd be far more worried about people who use colored contacts etc, of which I just bought my second pair. I tried some many years ago and just couldn't be bothered. These ones I just tried and they are fine, although they take some getting used to. Glad I don't HAVE to wear contacts, though. I can see how they would easily cause havoc with eye makeup.

Here's some bad advice that I just saw this morning on Facebook.

I cringed when I read that. Superglue is TOXIC and is not to be used on skin or on the nails. I replied to that entry that exact thing and was told this by the same person:

In my state it's against the law to use ANY toxic products on a customer and the salon can not only lose their license but the owner and stylists can be heavily fined. On top of that they risk losing their own cosmetology or nail tech licenses. What IS used in salons are a nail glue not superglue.
Are you sure?   From my understanding super glue is just A LOT stronger than nail glue but they all have the same active ingredient

Below is a list from a random sampling of the active ingredients found in both Nail glues, and various 'Super' Glues:

- Nailene Nail Glue: Ethyl Cyanoacrylate, Polymethyl Methacrylate

- Duro Super Glue: Ethyl Cyanoacrylate, Polymethyl Methacrylate

- Kiss Pros Choice Precision Nail Glue: Ethyl Cyanoacrylate

- 5 Second Nail Glue: Ethyl Cyanoacrylate

- Elmers Super Glue: Ethyl Cyanoacrylate

- Advanced Formula Instant Krazy Glue: Ethyl Cyanoacrylate

You can use some types but not all. Basically it boils down to check the label since some does state it's toxic. I had one that's made in the Netherlands and it's labeled as toxic and not for use on cuts. It's just cheaper and easier to get nail glue which is non-toxic.

The bad beauty advice I always receive is when I am trying to get matched for a new foundation. The last time I tried to get matched for a foundation I was at Sephora the woman that was trying to match me was actually trying to convince me that a color that was 4 shades darker than my skin tone was the perfect match for me. I have to through my God sister under the bus (lol) because she is often with me when I am trying something new and she is always in their corner saying the stuff looks great then once I get it home or in another light it's like what the hell! lol

Originally Posted by gennett21 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

The bad beauty advice I always receive is when I am trying to get matched for a new foundation. The last time I tried to get matched for a foundation I was at Sephora the woman that was trying to match me was actually trying to convince me that a color that was 4 shades darker than my skin tone was the perfect match for me. I have to through my God sister under the bus (lol) because she is often with me when I am trying something new and she is always in their corner saying the stuff looks great then once I get it home or in another light it's like what the hell! lol
oh. my. gosh. this is my problem every single time. it drives me nuts! I've gotten matched for so many different foundations, I've tried at least ten of them since I started using makeup and I either look like a ghost or I look orange! It drives me nuts, and in the store I'm so convinced it works, then I get home and it looks horrendous. I have a new rule with foundations: always, always try it in natural life. I make myself go outside and see how it looks before I even think about buying something. my biggest problem is I have warm and cool tones in my skin, everyone tells me I can go either way, it was only when I got to MAC that someone finally found a way to mix both.

Originally Posted by Bonnie Krupa /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Are you sure?   From my understanding super glue is just A LOT stronger than nail glue but they all have the same active ingredient

Below is a list from a random sampling of the active ingredients found in both Nail glues, and various 'Super' Glues:

- Nailene Nail Glue: Ethyl Cyanoacrylate, Polymethyl Methacrylate

- Duro Super Glue: Ethyl Cyanoacrylate, Polymethyl Methacrylate

- Kiss Pros Choice Precision Nail Glue: Ethyl Cyanoacrylate

- 5 Second Nail Glue: Ethyl Cyanoacrylate

- Elmers Super Glue: Ethyl Cyanoacrylate

- Advanced Formula Instant Krazy Glue: Ethyl Cyanoacrylate

Yep, I use Nailene when i have a weak, darn near ready to break off nail ( and it works like a CHARM). Looking at the bottle it has the same cautions that regular super glue has and it does NOT say non-toxic on it.

Toxic of not, this stuff saves my pretty nails and imma keep using it
laughno.gif

Originally Posted by angels41105 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Worst beauty advice usually revolves around my hair for me. Everyone seems to think scrunching and diffusers are good for my hair. Growl
icon_evil.gif

People who tend to give curly hair advice do not have curly hair. At best they have wavy hair, and lets face it, YES there's a big difference between wavy hair and curly hair. Even a wide spectrum for degree of curliness.

For my hair, you scrunch .... you frizz

You diffuse..... you frizz... you poof.
Have you looked into doing the Brazilian Keratese blowout/blowdry? Absolutely AMAZING!!!!!!!!!

Bad beauty advice: Preparation H helps with puffiness under the eyes.

It use to and it use to help with fine lines however the product was reformulated and the Bio-dyne ingredient was removed. The Canadian formula still contains it but not the US so the US version does nothing.
Interesting you mention this one because just yesterday I bought the UK version of Preparation H which is called Anusol =/

I have been going to bed really late (2:30am now) and started to develop really bad puffy bags under my eyes. Tried nearly everything (tea bags, cucumber and potato slices, aloe, cold gel eye mask, garnier roll on, etc... list goes on) and nothing has worked. Sooooooooooo applied the cream (which the consistency was a bit on the grainy side, bad for the eye area) left it on for about 12 min and didn't notice an immediate difference. This morning  however, there was a lot less swelling though. These are the ingredients zinc sulfate monohydrate 0.5%. Nonmedicinal ingredients: calcium phosphate, mineral oil, oleth-2, parabens and petrolatum.

As far as bad advice, both here and in France I have been to a few counters where the girls don't really give a crap and seemed bothered that you are even asking. You can ask if a blush was a great color for your skin and they would say yes even if it was a purple color (a stupid example). I'll sleep on it and see if I can remember a couple of things I have been told, but yeah "MUAs" at the counters are pretty bad from time time out here.

I'm not familiar with the product you mentioned. All I know is Prep H (US) version no longer works as it use to because they removed the active ingredient. Most people who still use Prep H typically buy the Canadian version since it works.

Originally Posted by arcybarrios /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Have you looked into doing the Brazilian Keratese blowout/blowdry? Absolutely AMAZING!!!!!!!!!

Yeah i wont do that to my hair. My hair is actually pretty virgin. I do highlights maybe every two years. But otherwise i dont fry, relax or blow out my hair. I embrace the curl, I dont want it straight ( took me half a lifetime to come to that)

Back