Some of my work on friends and family :)

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
and one photoshoot ;) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

the first two looks are the same girl believe it or not ;) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

the dark auburn haired middle aged woman is my mom as well

ps...this asian model is Jescka from fortytwo photography and she had a gnarly eyebrow piercing scar and lacked part of her eyebrow but you wouldn't know it now ;) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Great work xina!!!! You do a nice job with mature women as well--I find mature women/skin to be the most challenging. 

I like the color choice for the asian model on the eyes. Quick question--did you tightline her lower lash line? I'm nosey lol !

Originally Posted by xina751 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

and one photoshoot ;) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

the first two looks are the same girl believe it or not ;) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

the dark auburn haired middle aged woman is my mom as well

ps...this asian model is Jescka from fortytwo photography and she had a gnarly eyebrow piercing scar and lacked part of her eyebrow but you wouldn't know it now ;) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

green...yes mature skin is challenging but i find the eyes to be especially. a good base goes a long way in my opinion...and on the asian model i lined the lashlines and waterlines, i'm not sure if that's tightlining cuz i'm not up on all the lingo! :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Oh xina they are all wonderful!  Your mom is so pretty, guess the apple doesn't fall far from the tree! :0)

Oh nice! Yeah I catch myself going into makeup talk techie mode LOL. Like "foiling" as opposed to saying "dampening a brush to apply shadow." Or "tight-lining" as opposed to "liner in the waterline." haha. In any case, it looks great! I just purchased some tape for Asian eyes (in case a client requests it).  

And yeah mature skin is such a challenge. And I totally agree about a good base. I find a lot of more mature women have very dry lids as well as skin around their eyes, and a base like painterly can be too drying and make it impossible to apply and blend out shadows. I've had good luck with too faced's as well as tarte's. What has worked best for you? I've also stuck with just matte shadows for mature lids, as the shimmer I find draws attention to fine lines/wrinkles.

green...yes mature skin is challenging but i find the eyes to be especially. a good base goes a long way in my opinion...and on the asian model i lined the lashlines and waterlines, i'm not sure if that's tightlining cuz i'm not up on all the lingo! :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

green...hey girl, well i'm super cheap and have had good luck with revlon cream shadows on mature skin. i also like clinique all about eyes cream because it makes eyeshadow more vibrant and last longer, then i smooth on the cream shadow. i like NYX jep pencils as well, i draw it on in quick small strokes and use a lid size foundation brush to smooth it out. when i worked at the makeup counters i never really found a good base i liked other than Lancome's, but it tended to dry out quickly in the pot...would dry before i could use it all. and i actually like the revlon and nyx better for now.

ps...i should also mention that i like the revlon cream shadows because they are very smooth and almost silky. and i do mostly stick to matte on older eyes, however i'm not beyond a satin or iridescent when called for ;) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> just nothing metallic like shimmer.

Oh good point--the creme shadows ARE very helpful. I'll have to check out the bases you mentioned, because that is such an issue and can make or break a look I think. thx for the info!

green...hey girl, well i'm super cheap and have had good luck with revlon cream shadows on mature skin. i also like clinique all about eyes cream because it makes eyeshadow more vibrant and last longer, then i smooth on the cream shadow. i like NYX jep pencils as well, i draw it on in quick small strokes and use a lid size foundation brush to smooth it out. when i worked at the makeup counters i never really found a good base i liked other than Lancome's, but it tended to dry out quickly in the pot...would dry before i could use it all. and i actually like the revlon and nyx better for now.

Jordan asked me to make her into her icon Marilyn Monroe...and in all our excitement over the lashes and winged liner...we totally forgot the beauty mark! so anyway she looked gorgeous and i think we are going to do a colorful glittery version of this for her birthday next month :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> 

thanks dream! the lashes are totally my favorite part..i don't usually get so excited but they totally changed her face :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Xina what a great job you did! It's not easy doing precise winged liner on someone (esp those people who are very flinchy lol!!!)  Nice job on getting a polished look. I thought I'd add one thing...I know your friend probably didn't want to go around looking too made up, but if I were doing the makeup for a period shoot and was doing marilyn's, I'd add on a couple things (they would look pretty dramatic/maybe halloween like in person lol, but would work for a shoot. I added them digitally on the right eye and lips so you could see. I'd really build up the brows to that iconic marilyn shape, and line the cupids bow area to accentuate it even further. Also, I think marilyn wore a dark brown liner (not sure on this as in some photos it looks black....also not sure if she did brown or brown/black on bottom as well. I've seen photos where she does a line under her eye winged out, and then fills that triangular area of the skin with a lighter color. Here's my digital version LOL. You did a GREAT job!

Oh ps I'm reading a really amazing book about her right now...it's quite lengthy and detailed, but a wonderful read: "Marilyn Monroe" by Barbara Leaming.

Back