Depressed and unemployed

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Sigh. I've been feeling awful lately. I've been laid off since end of March... I went through 3 interviews, but there's been no luck.

I've been feeling lazy and stagnant...

I've gratuated university in 2009, then I had hard time finding work and started as an intern. I interned for months...months...

think 10 months... it was paid, and then I got a full time position....overall I have 2 years experience.

My bf suggests I intern again, but I don't think I can mentally do it anymore. It makes me feel like garbage! :( /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

I am a designer and I make printed matter... here is my portfolio.

I am a little bit shy and quiet and that doesn't help either... sigh.

really annoyed and want to CRY :( /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />((

I'm supposed to be 'creative' but my brain is EMPTIED out. all i want to do is SLEEP and hibernate.

scared.gif
 sounds like depression... yes I know...

i've been trying to exercise and keep myself busy...it's exhausting...like pulling teeth. 

Hey we have something in common!  I havent worked for almost 2 years. Its so awful ! I feel your pain. I miss shopping!  Thankfully my boyfriend takes care of me!  What did you used to do?

So i looked at your website. Are you doing graphic design?  It looks amazing! You should try and show your portfolio to design houses. Are you in school?

I know what you mean, I've been the same way this summer. I decided to go right ahead with Graduate School instead of taking a year off like I had intended because it's nuts trying to find a job out here. I probably won't be able to do that forever though haha

Anyway, one of my friends had a hard time looking for jobs, so she researched companies in the area and started sending them her resume. She knew they weren't hiring, but one of the companies called her back because a position had just opened up and they hired her. So it never hurts to try asking companies if they need someone, even if it appears that they don't.

Originally Posted by musingmuse /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Sigh. I've been feeling awful lately. I've been laid off since end of March... I went through 3 interviews, but there's been no luck.

I've been feeling lazy and stagnant...

I've gratuated university in 2009, then I had hard time finding work and started as an intern. I interned for months...months...

think 10 months... it was paid, and then I got a full time position....overall I have 2 years experience.

My bf suggests I intern again, but I don't think I can mentally do it anymore. It makes me feel like garbage! :( /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

I am a designer and I make printed matter... here is my portfolio.

I am a little bit shy and quiet and that doesn't help either... sigh.

really annoyed and want to CRY :( /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />((

Your work looks great, have you considered just freelancing and marketing yourself online? I really like your website.

thank you ladies! yes, i am a graphic designer, working in advertising, marketing and web

i've been doing just that. approaching companies and design houses even though they aren't hiring. 

i've been asking for informational interviews at least to review my work in person. i've had 3 interviews so far.

that's 3 out of 20 requests that i've sent.

i have to keep going until it hurts! 
eusa_wall.gif
 i keep telling myself not to give up...never ever give up.

thank you! the kind words mean a lot to me. 
heart.gif

I've been trying to do some freelancing work, but i live at home with difficult parents to deal with. 
scared.gif

I love working with others and in teams.

Being at home can drive me insane, especially when my parents are nagging. 

I think I have to keep networking. Keep looking. Keep contacting places. 

Trying to tell myself not to give up. 

Originally Posted by Ray of sunshine /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Your work looks great, have you considered just freelancing and marketing yourself online? I really like your website.

2 years! oh no... are you still looking for work?

my parents are taking care of me - food and housing, but i have to get a job by next month or else....they will be very pissed!

Originally Posted by westwardo /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Hey we have something in common!  I havent worked for almost 2 years. Its so awful ! I feel your pain. I miss shopping!  Thankfully my boyfriend takes care of me!  What did you used to do?

Yea i just applied at ulta.. I havent  been looking that hard..  How old are you?  My boyfriend is going to school for graphic design. That freaks me out that you cant find a job that he wont be able to either..

Yea i just applied at ulta.. I havent  been looking that hard..  How old are you?  My boyfriend is going to school for graphic design. That freaks me out that you cant find a job that he wont be able to either..

I think it depends on location, graphic designer is about the easiest job to get in Provo, where I lived for undergrad. It seemed like in Provo they were perpetually looking for graphic designers. I don't see it as much out here in Texas. Everyone here wants nurses. So you guys might be in more of a high demand area, it's a possibility.

It's really competitive here in Vancouver :( /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />. There is about 100 designers applying per available position. it may be easier in the U.S. 

I turned 24 in march. 

im going to turn 26 in october.. not looking forward to that..  How did you lose your job?

aww. i know what you mean. i sometimes feel like time goes by toooo fast :( /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />(

it was a multiple-people lay-off. there wasn't enough work.

im going to turn 26 in october.. not looking forward to that..  How did you lose your job?

pissoff.gif
 i can't wait for economy to get better...if it ever will. boy oh boy.

I also got laid off. Why do things have to suck so much right now!!
scream3.gif

aww. I got it years ago. Probably 4 years ago when I was still in art school. 

I really want your camera!

Back