Has anyone tried the lo-carb diet to lose weight?

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
If you have, how did it work out for you?

If you haven't, what's stopping you from trying?

I did the low carb diet back almost 10 yrs ago now and I lost about 50 lbs in about 4 months on a 100 carb a day diet.  The moment I quit eating low carb, the lbs came right on back!  So unless you are ready for a lifestyle change, it won't work for you. I'm insulin resistant, so I was on a much higher carb intake than most.  I guess most people are allowed 20 carbs a day!  That would take some real thinking on different types of meals and snacks.  I just can't imagine living on 20 carbs a day.  A sucking candy has 18 carbs in it!  Eat one of those and your day is about shot!  It's craziness and has been found to be unsafe b/c our bodies do need some fat in it. HTHs.

Originally Posted by MakeupofDesire /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I did the low carb diet back almost 10 yrs ago now and I lost about 50 lbs in about 4 months on a 100 carb a day diet.  The moment I quit eating low carb, the lbs came right on back!  So unless you are ready for a lifestyle change, it won't work for you. I'm insulin resistant, so I was on a much higher carb intake than most.  I guess most people are allowed 20 carbs a day!  That would take some real thinking on different types of meals and snacks.  I just can't imagine living on 20 carbs a day.  A sucking candy has 18 carbs in it!  Eat one of those and your day is about shot!  It's craziness and has been found to be unsafe b/c our bodies do need some fat in it. HTHs.
Wow! Thanks for sharing your experience with us. I have friends who are on the low-carb diet and it seems to be working out for them. They limit themselves to 50grams of carbs a day. That's as much as a typical burger you get from a fast food joint! But I can see how it all comes together, if you take out the bread or carbs, you take out a lot of the calories.

I agree it is very difficult to sustain and it really isn't a diet, its a lifestyle change. It forces you to think about what you're eating all the time.

I´m a sugar junkie who was always hungry while snacking all day. I am naturally slim, but I felt like I was getting bloated after big meals, especially ones high in carbs. And I noticed that I always overate when a meal was high in carbs, which I loved of course. Who doesn´t love pasta, fries etc, right?

In the beginning, there was a huge adjustment period where I just didn´t know what do eat if I couldn´t have carbs. Looking back, I ate a whole ton of simple carbs and wasn´t even aware of it. 

After that period was over I have been finding it very easy to stick to this way of eating. I eat moderately low carb (not counting calories or grams of carbs, because that has always seemed a bit extreme to me, especially since I don´t need to lose weight) 70% of the time.

Now that it´s like 2nd nature to me, I don´t get hungry as often, I`m rarely ever bloated and I overeat less often. I feel like I eat much healthier, and I feel great!

I eat twice as much veggies now, mainly because I couldn´t eat the usual side dishes (pasta, rice etc) anymore....so for me, the higher vegetable intake is another huge plus for my overall health!

Originally Posted by Andi /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I´m a sugar junkie who was always hungry while snacking all day. I am naturally slim, but I felt like I was getting bloated after big meals, especially ones high in carbs. And I noticed that I always overate when a meal was high in carbs, which I loved of course. Who doesn´t love pasta, fries etc, right?

In the beginning, there was a huge adjustment period where I just didn´t know what do eat if I couldn´t have carbs. Looking back, I ate a whole ton of simple carbs and wasn´t even aware of it. 

After that period was over I have been finding it very easy to stick to this way of eating. I eat moderately low carb (not counting calories or grams of carbs, because that has always seemed a bit extreme to me, especially since I don´t need to lose weight) 70% of the time.

Now that it´s like 2nd nature to me, I don´t get hungry as often, I`m rarely ever bloated and I overeat less often. I feel like I eat much healthier, and I feel great!

I eat twice as much veggies now, mainly because I couldn´t eat the usual side dishes (pasta, rice etc) anymore....so for me, the higher vegetable intake is another huge plus for my overall health!
Thanks for sharing your story Andi! I know resisting that sweet dessert after a big carby meal is often hard to do. I don't think anyone can resist a fry unless you're diabetic (where it's life threatening).

Sugar is the most simplest wasteful carb there is and I believe cutting that out is key and then all that bread. The low-carb diet definitely is a life style change because of what you mentioned, eating more veggies and passing on most rice/bread/pasta.

@Bonnie---It's not hard to follow once you start it.  I thought the same thing prior to me starting the lifestyle change.  But once I started I was looking up recipes online and asking around at work and just using my own knowledge.  I love my veggies, even before my lifestyle change.  And even though I'm no longer on low carb, I still love my veggies!  I love hard boiled eggs.  A sandwich with only one piece of low carb bread or eating a low carb tortialla.  I ate lots of salads, especially chicken ceasar salads.  I even at low carb ice cream.  I loved eating green olives as snacks and pickles for snacks.  Lots of string cheese and fruit with cottage cheese.  And I had tons of recipes for dinners.  It's rather interesting that this thread popped up today b/c I was just thinking about changing my lifestyle again.  I've been bed ridden for the past 6-7yrs and the weight has added up.  So I need to do something.  And just my lifestyle change will make a big difference in how I look and feel.  Good luck to those who are getting ready to make the plunge.  I think this next weekend that we make a grocery list and change my lifestyle.

Two years ago I tried the Adkins Diet.

I ate three meals a day consisting of 4-6 oz of protein or 3 eggs, some chese, and green vegetables.

Snacks were vegs and small amount of protein.

I had coffee/tea with cream and splenda

And I drank lots of water and diet pop.

Fats like olive oil, butter, and mayo are fine

I quickly lost all cravings for sugar as I was not eating any starches - breads, rice, pasta

Absolutely no fruits or sugar

I lost close to 40 pounds in about 6 months.

The down side:

It is that it can be very boring, and eating out can be very tricky - need to plan ahead.

Also, be prepared for CONSTIPATION!

Eat lots of vegetables, drink at least 2 litres of water a day, take a couple of stool softeners daily, as well.

Originally Posted by 2nd Love /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Thanks for sharing your story Andi! I know resisting that sweet dessert after a big carby meal is often hard to do. I don't think anyone can resist a fry unless you're diabetic (where it's life threatening).

Sugar is the most simplest wasteful carb there is and I believe cutting that out is key and then all that bread. The low-carb diet definitely is a life style change because of what you mentioned, eating more veggies and passing on most rice/bread/pasta.
My husband is a type 1 diabetic, so we´re living a healthy lifestyle together. Whenever we have something with simple carbs, we fully enjoy it, but we know it´s a special treat and never a regular thing.

Originally Posted by Bonnie Krupa /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I've been wanting to try this but omg  it would be so hard for me lol
You should try it because honestly, I think its the only diet or lifestyle change that works. As MakeupofDesire says, you can do it! There are some things you have to give up on but it is not that hard if you make your own lunches and dinners. Eating out is the most trickiest part of the diet because you're surrounded by delicious carbs.

I follow a high protein diet, and am allowed a very small portion of carbs. Honestly, not eating carbs is the easiest part. Building new eating habits is the hardest. I do feel less bloated, i would say even less nauseous while digesting, when i don't eat more than two slices of bread or a few spoons of pasta/rice.... I am allowed a large portion of vegetables so i'm not hungry.

I would also add that the time when you eat carbs matters. Late at night, give it up. At lunch, you will have the whole afternoon to burn the energy, and for sports, eating a plate of pasta the day before is beneficial.

18.gif
 Me. Me. Me.

I'm lo carbing RIGHT now...

Mmmmmmm.... 6oz of grilled chicken with french cut green beans!! YUM!!

I have a wedding in November with a bridal shower in October and possibly the bachelorette party during Halloween - so, you know I want to be a sexy witch! LOL!

I gained 20lbs after an injury left me depressed and immobile.  Well, not really immobile, just with limited movement.  So, its time to take those 20 back. Woohooo!

Originally Posted by magosienne /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I follow a high protein diet, and am allowed a very small portion of carbs. Honestly, not eating carbs is the easiest part. Building new eating habits is the hardest. I do feel less bloated, i would say even less nauseous while digesting, when i don't eat more than two slices of bread or a few spoons of pasta/rice.... I am allowed a large portion of vegetables so i'm not hungry.

I would also add that the time when you eat carbs matters. Late at night, give it up. At lunch, you will have the whole afternoon to burn the energy, and for sports, eating a plate of pasta the day before is beneficial.
Very true, that's how Michael Phelps can keep winning gold medals :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Originally Posted by DreamWarrior /img/forum/go_quote.gif

18.gif
 Me. Me. Me.

I'm lo carbing RIGHT now...

Mmmmmmm.... 6oz of grilled chicken with french cut green beans!! YUM!!

I have a wedding in November with a bridal shower in October and possibly the bachelorette party during Halloween - so, you know I want to be a sexy witch! LOL!

I gained 20lbs after an injury left me depressed and immobile.  Well, not really immobile, just with limited movement.  So, its time to take those 20 back. Woohooo!

You go girl! When did you start? Did you take any before and after photos or will you be doing that? If you stick to it, I believe you can take those 20 back with ease :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

I run a keto diet whenever I cut for events or for summer. It's the fastest way to shed body fat without losing too much muscle mass. I drop down to about 7.5% body fat during ketosis. The first few days are tough but after that you have surprisingly more energy and never feel bloated :D /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Also if you're trying to slim down in a hurry, an EC stack works the best along with daily cardio.

Originally Posted by Dragonfly /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Also, be prepared for CONSTIPATION!

Fiber supplement's are almost a must, it's hard to get even close to enough fiber with just greens.

With a keto diet, I understand it is high fat, medium protein and low carbs.

I was curious what types of fats you would consume if you needed to eat 600+ daily.

I'd certainly consider this diet but I'm having trouble with what fats I should consume - saturated, polyunsatuarted, etc.

step by step keto diet plan:

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=36497&page=1

Also, are you referring to stackers?  aspirin, codeine and ephidrine?

Thanks

Originally Posted by 2nd Love /img/forum/go_quote.gif

You should try it because honestly, I think its the only diet or lifestyle change that works. As MakeupofDesire says, you can do it! There are some things you have to give up on but it is not that hard if you make your own lunches and dinners. Eating out is the most trickiest part of the diet because you're surrounded by delicious carbs.
Instead of going the no carb route I've decided to work out more than 1 day a week for the first time in like 8 years lmao.  I've been actually doing it everyday for the past 4 days too and I feel a lot better already

I would eat 1g of protein per lb of body weight, most my fats came from meats (salmon, steak, bacon). I would also eat coconut oil, flax oil, and fish oils. Cheese is also another thing you can eat, sometimes I would wrap lettuce around a bunch of bacon and cheese and eat it like a burrito :D /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

I made sure to have about 30g of fiber everyday as well and drank about 2 gallons of water a day.

With the EC stack just take the bronkaid and caffeine, the aspirin barely has any effect and isn't worth the side affects. *edited by mod* has the directions, make sure to monitor your heart rate!

Originally Posted by SQOATZ /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I would wrap lettuce around a bunch of bacon and cheese and eat it like a burrito :D /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

mmm I've been doing that for a couple years with turkey and cheese...it's so yummy lol

Back